AD Silent Switcher 3. Game changing switchers!

Series/parallel configurations could make for credit card sized boards that could power 1200W amplifiers with the cleanest power ever seen from regulators over 1A. The only regulators on the market with 4uV or lower noise are rated for 1A max. And they’re linear so get real hot with voltage drop. You can feed this regulator 18V and output 1V and will run cold as ice.

There isn't even data sheets available and with current shortages in component supply maybe people aren't that enthusiastic. It's nice that things evolve and I'm sure we will see more development in this area.

Now when you try to order some circuit or the other, the moment you push on the Buy button, it usually says expected 2022 or 2023. Maybe we have to go back to discrete circuits again. :confused:

Datasheets are available with an NDA. Even samples available. Yes the shortages are depressing, but the technology is amazing for those actually interested in technology. Although I do understand that many are only into DIY to save a few bucks. Not because they’re actually interested in the technology.

Last edited:
Although I do understand that many are only into DIY to save a few bucks. Not because they’re actually interested in the technology.

Interesting. I believe you have to be at least somewhat interested in technology, otherwise there is a risk you will end up with only crappy non-working DIY projects. And who of us didn't make a few bad projects in the beginning (can't remember all scrapped designs...)? Anyway, I'm not in a bad mood today, so have a nice and happy DIY day! :)

Would you mind to explain how a step-down converter with max. input of 18 V can power 1200 W audio amplifier?

If you need more voltage you’ll have to wait for the higher voltage models. Just like the silent switcher 2 series, there will be several silent switcher 3’d coming as well. But you can run them in inverted mode if you need a negative regulator.

Interesting. I believe you have to be at least somewhat interested in technology, otherwise there is a risk you will end up with only crappy non-working DIY projects. And who of us didn't make a few bad projects in the beginning (can't remember all scrapped designs...)? Anyway, I'm not in a bad mood today, so have a nice and happy DIY day! :)

Some people only DIY to save money. They’re interested in the results, but not the technology. A good example is the Purifi based amps. As soon as someone started selling them complete for the same cost to DIY one, all DIY interest was lost.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
4uV ripple noise, 16A continuous output in a 4x4mm package!

LT8627SP Datasheet and Product Info | Analog Devices

Any thoughts?

Switchers NEED relatively large ripple on the output, between 10% and 50% of the output voltage. The switching concept relies on the ripple to decide when to turn on and when to turn off the internal switches.
That 4uV ripple can only come about if they use some smart kind of synchronous filtering. Would love to see a data sheet.

Jan

Last edited:
Slightly disappointed. I opened this thread thinking - silent tube power supply..

16A PCB pins, internal switching, makes me think this isn't going to be your normal DIP8 package I take it?

Perhaps of interest to the solid-state Power-DAC headphone crew or digital clocking folks but nV is probably not going to make too much audible difference? (I know I'm opening a can of worms with at last question)

Some people only DIY to save money. They’re interested in the results, but not the technology. A good example is the Purifi based amps. As soon as someone started selling them complete for the same cost to DIY one, all DIY interest was lost.

This is reasonable. I would imagine, most people wouldn't bother soldering together something that gives exact the same result (or worse) to the same cost as something you can buy ready-made. It would be a better idea to offer something more in the DIY kit, e.g. some extra design finesse or better quality component that gives a better end result. Or something that you could tune in the DIY kit that might give better result. Otherwise I don't see the incentive. Because soldering together a DIY kit isn't much of exploring technology anyway (well, maybe exploring different soldering techniques and equipment and mechanical side of things like chassis design etc.), especially if there is an exact ready-made clone to compare with.

Show an application which uses both LOW noise and HIGH current. Maybe people will get excited.

Amplifier, low noise power supply for a computer server/streamer. Or maybe you want to have a single 15-18v supply feeding a few of these with some set at 3-5v output without them burning to a crisp like what would happen with an LDO dropping 12-15v. It’s not essential to use all 16A of current capability to use this regulator.

Last edited: