Active TPL-150H and 12P80ND-V2 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A WTMW topology would avoid the lobing and comb filtering generated by the 24" M-T-M spacing.

There are several good papers discussing the sound stage problems in MTM designs with large M-M spacing.

If a passive crossover is planned, an 18" woofer with T/S parameters optimized for a bass reflex alignment is desirable.

If an active crossover with multiple amplifiers is planned, an 18" woofer with large X-max and high power handling can be better suited to handle boost+equalization.

Attachments

• WTMW.jpg
    WTMW.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 766
  • BIG.jpg
    BIG.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
diysoundgroup.com has a similar size WTMW kit called "The Intrusive 1899", with speakers + passive crossover parts = $905. 65"H x 22"W x 20"D

You may want to follow build threads on their design to get information which might help your work.

Attachments

• The Intrusive 1899.jpg
    The Intrusive 1899.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 784
Did the make a kit with lateral push-pull bass driver à la Kef Blade ?

I still think the B&C 8PE21 Pooh advertised is well suited for a Smooth XO with the TPLH and any bass driver able to cross it at 500 Hz minimum !

What is the XO point in the Kef Blade between the mid and the lateral 8" bass drivers ? two 15" instead in this Beyma high efficienty conf ?

A WTMW topology would avoid the lobing and comb filtering generated by the 24" M-T-M spacing.

There are several good papers discussing the sound stage problems in MTM designs with large M-M spacing.

If a passive crossover is planned, an 18" woofer with T/S parameters optimized for a bass reflex alignment is desirable.

If an active crossover with multiple amplifiers is planned, an 18" woofer with large X-max and high power handling can be better suited to handle boost+equalization.

The lateral 18" bass drivers in the high right corner of the picture is certainly the best looking one ! ALthough with the 18" drivers you should need a little space between it and the wall in front of it : 2 meters ?

Last edited:
The lateral 18" bass drivers in the high right corner of the picture is certainly the best looking one ! ALthough with the 18" drivers you should need a little space between it and the wall in front of it : 2 meters ?

Side-Side counter-force woofers are typically crossed in at under 200Hz = 6ft wavelength, and the crossover frequency is often selected to also cover the cabinet's baffle step where the bass is already omni directional. At this low frequency, even a front baffle woofer pressurizes the full room. Speakers using the Beyma TPL-150H have an 80-degree horizontal polar pattern, and must be angled to cross just in front of the main listeners. For a typical 18" - 22" deep high efficiency speaker cabinet, the combination of toe-in and normal recommended >2' wall-spacing should provide enough pressure diffusion. Excitation of bass room modes depends upon speaker placement, and sometimes corner or near-wall placement provides decent solutions.

"Active TPL-150H and 12P80ND-V2 project"

Did this ever get built? These two drivers are excellent crossed at 1.2kHz. The dispersion patterns match up well at XO. Sure takes care of a lot of extra room reflection issues and room treatments.

I'm not aware if it was. FWIW, angeloitacare built the TPL-150H with 12p80Nd (not the V2) and crossed around 1.6kHz and swears by it. Vapor Audio crosses this tweeter at 1.1kHz to a TD10M Others say the TPL should be crossed above 2kHz...

I'm hoping to do at 2kHz xo to an 8", active.

Javs' Modular Tower WMTW - 15FH520 / Beyma 12P80ND-V2 / TPL-150H - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

There isn't any more distortion at 1.2kHz and the H version seems to be solid down to 1.2kHz at which point it starts to gracefully start to drop down from its passband.

I've got a pair of TPL150H I was going to mate with AE TD15M, but at 1kHz both drivers are getting out of their designed passband. I'm now going to put a mid to cover the 400-1.2kHz passband.

My initial driver search thread.
Have two TD15M, need HF drivers to mate - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

12P80ND-V2 would be the direction I'd head if I didn't already own the TD15M.

Javs' Modular Tower WMTW - 15FH520 / Beyma 12P80ND-V2 / TPL-150H - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

There isn't any more distortion at 1.2kHz and the H version seems to be solid down to 1.2kHz at which point it starts to gracefully start to drop down from its passband.

I've got a pair of TPL150H I was going to mate with AE TD15M, but at 1kHz both drivers are getting out of their designed passband. I'm now going to put a mid to cover the 400-1.2kHz passband.

My initial driver search thread.
Have two TD15M, need HF drivers to mate - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

12P80ND-V2 would be the direction I'd head if I didn't already own the TD15M.

Well...yes there is more distortion below 2kHz. Measurements are somewhere in this forum. The questions us how audible it is, perhaps.

If you have TD15M why not use TD10M or TD12M? They have low sensitivity for my needs but very good drivers for sure. Their profile should allow a higher xo than 12p80Nd to boost.

I already had the TD15M. Bought them from Nick McKinney way back when he was still running Lambda Acoustics. Later He and John collaborated on bringing them back into production at Acoustic Elegance.

I have miniDSP units to play with the XO. It was a $$$ stretch buying the TPLs. Who knew back in 2001 that we would have TPL150 or digital DSP XO units. I was going to use active circuitry using OP amps to make the active XOs when I first planned them. I got the TD15M as a potent midbass. Was going to also use PHL 1660 mid and Raven ribbon drivers. PHL is now unobtainium and Raven are crazy expensive. My TD15M have been in their shipping boxes for over 16 years. Still have that new speaker smell.

TD12M would be perfect in a BR enclosure as a 2-way. TD15M sound great, but they start beaming past 800Hz. I could sit in the sweet spot and still enjoy them as an awesome 2-way. My family wouldn't know the difference sitting in the cheap seats.

I still don't know what to do. I tend to use 12P80ND-V2 with TPL-150H but the 12P80ND-V2 beaming is a concern to me. I'm gonna active cross it I don't know if I can cross the TPL-150H with 24 dB/oct, LR4 at around 1500hz instead of 2khz. I think in that case the beaming of 12" midrange will be less important as I think it will get seriously narrow afterwards. another idea is to add a Faital Pro 8PR155 from 500hz up to 2khz and the final speaker will be a four way. any idea?

Hello Dave

Was wondering how your journey progressed with the TPL and 12P80Nd. Did you keep both together and lowered the xo point? Added the 8PR155 in between? Followed LineSource's guidelines?

cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.