Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

and Radian 475be on ATHEX-400-36/25
radian 400.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
I've been cutting the test horns out of EPS foam on my cnc - it's very quick! It seems that a covering of microfibre cement makes a very nice hard yet sandable coating. Its probably possible to get a very nice finish with more sanding and more coats and then a varnish/epoxy finish. Definitely easier than my wooden gramophone style horns.

Reactions: 1 user
I had very strong opinions about each test setup - most of which were confirmed after a quick eq and added bass/mid mono listening test (with my favourite solo violin bach recording). I'll write about it properly but clearly the vintage alnico was by far the most involving and exciting on any horn (need to test it on the little beamer too). I think the Radian will probably amazing in the right setup too, let's see.

Neither exponential nor straight conical horns are suitable for high quality sound reproduction. The former because of its strong beaming and the latter because of the abrupt termination, limiting the use to a narrow band.
I get this as I had gone through all types of profiles and experienced the same. I have ended up with tractrix and JMLC profiles at home. I still have a number of different horns to test. However, every time I get to listen to a Western Electric 15a system I am floored. It is an exponential horn. It does have problems when pushed too much for bandwidth but it does things no other speaker I listened can do. It is also being used differently by a number of people. Active setups with time alignment and bandwidth limited to 1-1.5khz.

What is it that they do? Is it because it can cover from 100hz to 1.5khz without much problems, or is it something else?

Reactions: 1 user
What is it that they do?
I think for midbass the exponential profile works very well because the loading in this range is very good. The mouth area can be a bit smaller in exchange for a somewhat longer path length. It worked well for me in the midbass. Maybe directivity is also good to have in the midbass, but I have not investigated this empirically.