Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I've added a version of the mounting flange specifically designed for the DFM-2535 (as it may be the only driver working with the horn in the end :))

https://at-horns.eu/ext/athex/ATHEX-400-3625-STL-1.zip

View attachment 1206764
Also - I'm printing the "lock" version. Is there any tolerance allowed with the lock? I'm not sure whether I'll be able to print and glue the petal 100% precisely so that they still allow the male/female part of the lock to function properly and allow the petal to sit flat on the base.

Hi Marcel,

Been following this thread for a while and your work has been amazing. One of the things that has stuck in my head for a while is wondering if there was a more continuous way to handle the round over than the SE. I threw a quick formula into excel using an ellipse rather than a skew line to define the OS profile and ended up with a result pretty close to one of your K=1 curves (attached alone and overlayed on your K=1 curve from a pdf on your website)

The basic thought was that for a pure OS, you have a a line rotated off parallel from the axis by some skew angle that gets swept around said axis. That line could also defined as a segment of a circle with infinite radius. If we make the radius of that circle finite, you start to get profiles that naturally terminate. My first attempt at a skewed circular sweep profile led to some extremely wide round overs, so I tried using an ellipse instead.

The formula from the spread sheet was Y =SQRT((Rthroat+(Rmouth-Rmouth*COS(aE))/eE)^2+(xE*TAN(aE))^2)
Where:
Rthroat = Throat radius (12.7mm)
Rmouth = Mouth radius (130mm)
aE = angle along defining ellipse (from 0-120 deg in this example)
eE = elongation of ellipse (1.73 in this example)
xE = axial distance at aE = =Rmouth*SIN(aE))*COS(aS)
aS = Skew angle or waveguide angle (39 deg)
I wish I could also supply some AKABAK results, but sadly I keep getting zero size errors and can't seem to get things running. I was interested in this family of profiles because it seems like plug molds could be produced with an ellipse cutting jig offset above a lazy susan
os-ellipse-profile-jpg.1200834
View attachment 1200835
I just noticed the formula for Y was wrong in the post with the TAN referencing the angle along the ellipse instead of the skew angle. It should be:
Y =SQRT((Rthroat+(Rmouth-Rmouth*COS(aE))/eE)^2+(xE*TAN(aS))^2)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since you are still making tweaks, any way to include alignment pins for the petals?
I've updated the STL zip file, check for an added PETAL file ("LOCK-2").

Also - I'm printing the "lock" version. Is there any tolerance allowed with the lock? I'm not sure whether I'll be able to print and glue the petal 100% precisely so that they still allow the male/female part of the lock to function properly and allow the petal to sit flat on the base.
It will almost certainly require some cleaning/sanding to fit precisely, especially of the BASE part. This depends a lot on printing conditions and it's just not possible to account for that in advance for all cases. I included the "FLAT" versions as well, so everyone can choose their approach.

join.PNG

- I use 0.6mm nozzle (highly recommended for such prints), it will be different for 0.4 or anything else...

1693124231868.png
400-3625-0.jpg
base-2-5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
- I knew it would come handy some day! :) The P.Audio PA-D99 2" 14kg monster, here with a simple conical adapter from the phase plug end to the 1.4" throat opening of the ATHEX 460-36.

1693142324574.png
1693142355624.png

The measurement is only rudimentary, not completely anechoic, but I would consider this already usable with a DSP (quite more than that, actually).

1693142702832.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow- those are some really clean prints - five petals at the same time! I currently only have a .4 nozzle. Can I ask about the print settings? Layer height / wall thickness/infill type and density / top-bottom layer thickness
0.6 mm nozzle
0.24 mm layer height
80 mm/s; 1500mm/s^2
2 perimeters, 3 top/bottom layers
10% cubic infill (25% for the base)

I could do 6 petals at once but I already had the first one printed separately. This took 19.5 hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I've been trying to design an OS-SE waveguide and am using a paper I found on at-horns.eu. It mentioned a software called Ath which I could analyse the acoustic properties of the waveguide. Went to the website and it says the program is no longer available. Does anyone know where else I could get it from (maybe an older version) or an alternative? Cheers

0.6 mm nozzle
0.24 mm layer height
80 mm/s; 1500mm/s^2
2 perimeters, 3 top/bottom layers
10% cubic infill (25% for the base)

I could do 6 petals at once but I already had the first one printed separately. This took 19.5 hours.
Wow - that's amazing speed. I'm very new to 3D printing. I have the very basic ender3.
I.\'m assuming 80mm/s = print speed. What does 1500mm/s^2 refer to?
Have never messed with print speeds. Maybe worth a shot. As currently set up, I'm expecting 27 hours for two petals.
When you print at that speed, do you have to increase nozzle temp as well? I'm currently using 210 celcius for the nozzle, and 65 celsius for the bed.

Last edited:
This is stupid.

I wondered why it was not possible to avoid a waistband effect for horizontal polars. The waveguide would be 26 cm wide, the enclosure 31 cm:

31cm wide.png 31cm wide hor 100f.png
The problem did not occur with the even shorter vertical opening. And indeed the issue is not in the waveguide, but the enclosure dimension:

46cm wide.png 46cm wide hor 100f.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user