Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Mabat, I haven't used this for a good while now and I see things have changed now quite a bit. Is that Gcurve angle now what I should use to define coverage angles together with Gcurve.vertscale?
Something like that, frankly I don't remember - probably not worth learning at this moment as in 4.6 it is different again (much different because a whole new level of flexibility was introduced). Will be released soon.

As seen from the measured data, it has a remarkably stable 100° beamwidth between 1 - 10 kHz, which smoothly widens below that and narrows above that, as for any such horn. It's almost without any diffraction noticeable on the frequency response. That's simply a good waveguide in my book. There won't be many like this one.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that is not a matter of opinion - here are the data again (the polars are 0/10/.../90):

attachment.php

Attachments

• beamwidth.png
    beamwidth.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 697
As for simulating dome tweeters, ABEC allows to define different weights to different driving elements. This is what I did - I set a lower weight for the surround. In this case the surround is divided into two rings of weights 0.75 and 0.25 respectively. Maybe one ring at 0.5 would be sufficient, I don't know, could be checked. The weights are set in the script file, along with the whole dome geometry, or whatever it is.

This will also be part of the 4.6 release, which will be really a major update. I still need to finish the documentation...

Attachments

• dome+surround-2.PNG
    dome+surround-2.PNG
    244.2 KB · Views: 101
  • dome+surround-1.PNG
    dome+surround-1.PNG
    268.8 KB · Views: 98
I assume this weighting is there to account for the fact that the outer edge of the surround is not moving, and you can gradually include the surround geometry until you reach the point where the driving force of the voice coil defines the dome movement?

I have used your tool to make some 3D printed prototypes with a dome as a source. I have done several versions to try to find a good opening angle at the throat. It's quite good, but I'm not completely satisfied yet.

I'm looking forward to the next version and hope that I can get a better correlation between the simulated and measured result when using a dome tweeter.

Thank you for sharing your work.
Its really an amazing tool!

I guess the match with reality mainly depends on how closely the diaphragm maintains a pistonic motion.

Anyway, now the tool is much more suitable for simulating dome tweeters - even something like this is now easily possible to test:

attachment.php

Attachments

• contour0.PNG
    contour0.PNG
    206.7 KB · Views: 94
  • contour.PNG
    contour.PNG
    329 KB · Views: 99
  • contour-4.PNG
    contour-4.PNG
    209.2 KB · Views: 564