Acoustat Answer Man is here

The company, (The Upholstery Company of Arizona – 418 N Hunt Dr, Mesa, AZ) that actually made those for Acoustat, no longer makes them. You will have to find the fabric and have a local seamstress make them.

This is the fabric I used:

Mellotone Premium Black Speaker Grill Cloth Yard 64" Wide

It's expensive and you'll need 6 linear yards. I tried a couple of the cheaper options, but absolutely did not like the see through nature. You can see the plastic frame grid. The ones above are thicker and work perfectly.

I'm sure there will be others who claim that they interfere with the acoustics, but I found that to be total hog wash. I've tried them naked and with several different thicknesses and found no difference in sound. YMMV.

Last edited:
Need some help please..

HI All, :wave: I recently bought a pair of Acoustat 2+2's. They've been in storage for many years and need some tiding up.
I'm looking forward to powering them up. Speaking off, I removed the power supplies (121-B) to repaint and check over and found one power unit has a broken tab coming off the red lug socket going to the board. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement socket? :) I've tried googling but come up empty. Any help would be much appreciated.

It's not necessary to connect the panels, but unless you have a high-voltage probe, you'll have no way to verify if the bias supply is working if you don't have panels connected.

I don't see a great need to use a Variac to slowly increase the voltage. The power supply contains no electrolytic capacitors that would need to reform, as would be the case for other electronics.

My advice would be to connect the panels, apply AC power, charge 'em up for a few minutes, and play music to verify operation.

Series input configured

I had one pair of 1+1, anybody try series the input transformers and take out the one ohm resistor. Can this change make the speaker a little bit louder?
I had measured the high voltage before the 500Mohm resistor with HV probe and get 4300V, is this normal. Thanks.

Attachments

• Series Input.jpg
    Series Input.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 223
Your bias voltage measurement is within expectations. High Voltage probes tend to load the supply, so you’ll never read the full 5000 VDC.

Removing the 1-ohm resistor in series with the LF transformer will not make the speaker play louder. It is there as a safety measure, since most amplifiers don’t like the speaker’s very low impedance at low frequencies. The 1-ohm resistor keeps that impedance above a practical limit.

Placing the transformers in series will not make the speaker play louder. In fact, it will pretty much ruin the entire speaker’s performance. This is a very bad idea.

Keep in mind that the 1+1 has limited panel area and is not designed to fill even medium-sized rooms with concert hall levels. I don’t know what amplification you are using, but it may be that you have reached the speaker’s inherent limit.

Last edited:
I converted 3-wire to 5-wire panels quite easily by picking out the end of the wire from the panel which gave about an inch to attach an extra wire to. Of course you won't get the benefits of the improved coating that came with the real 5-wire panels.

A point of clarification: the 5-wire panels were introduced before the new coating was introduced. Therefore, not all 5-wire panels have the improved coating. The only sure way to identify the new coating is if the bias wire is yellow with a red stripe.

I wouldn't bother with the 3 to 5-wire conversion if I didn't have my speakers apart already, but it's not that hard to do IMO, and it probably yields most of the benefit of soldering across all the loops on each end with about one hundredth the labour required. 10 kV wire is readily obtainable on Amazon and it ships about ten times faster than they claim at the cheapest shipping option.

I added an extra "rung" to the bias supply on my 0.88+0.88s (DIY 1+1s with 8" panels) and powered by an NAD C275BEE it goes way louder than I need to listen in an 11' by 12' room. The bass is unbelievably strong and I wouldn't even consider the addition of a sub-woofer. The NAD can deliver 600 watts into 2 ohms dynamically but is rated 150 into 8.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have an issue with some spectra 11's. They are the later version with the wall wart. I can't seem to get the bias voltage high enough. with the pots maxed out on both speakers, The left maxes out at 35v the other at 52 volts. I would really like to get them up to the recommended 75v. I heard that going beyond that should act as an improvement as well.

I also read that upgrading the power supply caps to a larger size (the 47uf and 470uf) is a good idea.

Where should I start with getting the bias to where it needs to be? Replace diodes, 47uf and 470uf caps and the 3300pf caps? I assume it is time to replace them anyways.

Thanks!