Acoustat Answer Man is here

The earlier 2+2's had the large interface box, (like we have). The later version had the smaller cube interface box, so the bases, of course, would be different and are not compatible with each other. The insides are the same, (for the most part).

I've seen people swap the innards of the large for the innards of the small...and vice versa based on which base they had, (or made their own base).

Well it seems I was outbid by the min with 3 sec to go (automatic I'm told)....i'm new at this.
What options do I have at this point?
There is a Hafler Red mod for $900 which is a lot for a retired audio dealer with cancer on SS but if it is significantly better then I'll try to get them but i can't get any info on them. Are they worht it or is that my only choice now?
Help!
Tom

Last edited:
Well it seems I was outbid by the min with 3 sec to go (automatic I'm told)....i'm new at this.
What options do I have at this point?
There is a Hafler Red mod for $900 which is a lot for a retired audio dealer with cancer on SS but if it is significantly better then I'll try to get them but i can't get any info on them. Are they worht it or is that my only choice now?
Help!
Tom

Do you have a link to the Hafler Red interfaces?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Another question. I've read the alternative solution to taming the resonance of the panels. But does whatever is used have to block the louvers? I understand the original felt is acoustically porous, however acoustically damping as well. The issue is the panel itself resonating, correct? If so, could you not use some sort of bituminous material on edge or say 1/4" thick 1 1/2" wide masonite on edge crossed diagonally from corner to corner on each panel with a cut half way through each strip in the center to allow intersection? That way FR is not affected?

Another question. I've read the alternative solution to taming the resonance of the panels. But does whatever is used have to block the louvers? I understand the original felt is acoustically porous, however acoustically damping as well. The issue is the panel itself resonating, correct? If so, could you not use some sort of bituminous material on edge or say 1/4" thick 1 1/2" wide masonite on edge crossed diagonally from corner to corner on each panel with a cut half way through each strip in the center to allow intersection? That way FR is not affected?

The resonance "tamed" by the felt blocks is the resonance of the diaphragm, not the resonance of the louver structure (which is quite stiff by itself, further stiffened by being bolted to the wood frame). I don't think your idea would do much, if anything, to damp diaphragm resonance.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The resonance "tamed" by the felt blocks is the resonance of the diaphragm, not the resonance of the louver structure (which is quite stiff by itself, further stiffened by being bolted to the wood frame). I don't think your idea would do much, if anything, to damp diaphragm resonance.
Oh, so the felt absorbs the resonant frequency? Or a percentage of it? Can you explain the process?