ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I2S over XLR

Carlos,

If you plan to extract I2S signals from BD or DVD players, sending these over long lengths of XLR cables may not be a good idea. I2S are unbalanced single-ended types so short coax connection is the best. of course, no harm trying out xlr connectors.

DAC has Hirose WFL coax connectors for all the digital inputs. You can use matching coax cables to connect to the casing panel that has other suitable connectors to match your source connection. Can also use WFL to SMA connectors/cables.

How long are "long lengths" that are not recommended? They never would be more than two meters, or I might arrange the DAC to be about less than 75cm away.

Being unbalanced single-ended is not necessarily a problem per se. Being high impedance might be, or being too low level. I was thinking of Cat 5 cabling for the XLRs, or twisted pairs wouldn't cut it.

Please tell what modules would I need, just to have an estimate for budgeting.

Carlos

How long are "long lengths" that are not recommended? They never would be more than two meters, or I might arrange the DAC to be about less than 75cm away.

I2S signals are meant for inter-module connect within the same enclosure. <10cm. Interconnect between equipment not advisable. 2m is too long

Being unbalanced single-ended is not necessarily a problem per se. Being high impedance might be, or being too low level. I was thinking of Cat 5 cabling for the XLRs, or twisted pairs wouldn't cut it.
It is mainly about cable capacitance/inductance over long runs that would skew the digital signals and jitter issues as result. Cat5 unscreened twisted pair is for differential signals over a length but could be used for I2S, again for short runs only.

Please tell what modules would I need, just to have an estimate for budgeting.
You need the DAC module, power supplies for the 3.3V, 1.2V as shown on the board, IV module and the controller. More details are in the user's manual. I have PMed you on this.

I2C input

Hi all,

My ackoDAC's I2C input is maybe broken because I can not change any
parameter of ES9018 using Arduino(code is from HIFIDUINO).
#But now I can hear music, so the problem is not critical.

I re-soldered the input, but the problem is still remain.
Do you have any idea repair I2C input?

Thanks, but...

Please check the if you have pull up resistors on the I2C lines(~3k-10K) of the Arduino controller as there is none on the AckoDAC board. Also, the chip address issued by Arduino. Have you tried with the AKC12 controller instead?

Regards, Acko

Thank for reply.
I check pull up resistors but there is no change.
Maybe the board is damaged...

I do not have AKC12 controller, so I do not try.

Hello, I was thinking too about using AKD-23S paired with OpenPeak's OpenFrame/O2 Joggler (very hackable and cheap Atom-powered device) as an alternative to Squeezebox Touch, however major drawback seems to me is unavailability of Linux drivers (and it seems according to the lastest information from M2Tech development of those has been halted).
Was anyone considering ever other than hiface interface to be used with ackoDAC as an alternative? Well, in fact any interface that could accomodate rather USB to I2S, or at least USB to SPDIF and would be at par with hiface? (I reckon Musiland 01 is actually a bit worse than hiface, however if there will be not any better alternative I suppose I would have to stick with it anyway - seems other OS than Linux on OpenFrame is a no go ATM despite of it's x86 Atom.)
Thanks in advance if you are willing to share any ideas or experience!

8CH DAC

Hi, acko,

Is it possible to stack two AckoDAC 8CH DAC Module - AKD18 and to get 8 ch merged output for each L and R side? ( It's not "Dual mono" but a simple "Stereo" mode and each stereo channel signal comes from 8 DAC units in the two ES9018 DAC chips.)

Bunpei

I don't see any reason why this is not possible. I did propose this "Dual or even Multi-Core" DAC sometime back. Can also be applied to the 2CH 9012 type that already has combined outputs on chip itself, so even easier.

Electrically seems fine but I haven't had a chance to construct and test these. Just bear in mind if you wish change settings or even digital Vol, the DAC chips need to be individually addressed and set by the controller. The 9012/18 has 2 possible address settings so a dual version will work out fine. The AKC12 controller can auto-detect and control up to 2 DACs configured this way. Anything more that this will require elaborate chip selection schemes (from the MCU), possibly another I2S channel for 2 more DACs ('Quad Core')

On advantage of this configuration is that you only need one IV stage to receive all the combined outputs from all the DAC modules.

Cheers, Acko

Hiface Alternatives-Linux support

Hello, I was thinking too about using AKD-23S paired with OpenPeak's OpenFrame/O2 Joggler (very hackable and cheap Atom-powered device) as an alternative to Squeezebox Touch, however major drawback seems to me is unavailability of Linux drivers (and it seems according to the lastest information from M2Tech development of those has been halted).

Hi,

You can pair the AKD20 (9023-based DAC) with the XMOS type from "Lorien" as posted here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/188902-xmos-based-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface.html

Both AKD20 and Loriens's design has matching UFL connectors for the I2S signals that makes it very easy. I believe Linux support is available.

Cheers, Acko

Attachments

• AKD20.JPG
    AKD20.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 546
A couple of questions regarding the AKD18/AKC18:

As I understand it, it's possible to switch between I2S/DSD and SPDIF input by changing register 8. Possibly, this selects which inputs are active, although I have not found any specifics. Does the AKC18 have a builtin function call for changing this register? The functionality is not mentioned in the documentation for AKC18 and while it can be set using the general "set register" command I don't know what values are allowed/accepted. If there is no abstracted command to select input, then what are the possible register settings?

I'm curious of the select source for DAC 3/4 7/8 command. Does setting the value to 1 (Source DAC1/2 5/6) duplicate the signal such that outputs 1&3, 2&4, 5&7 and 6&8 are carrying the same respective signal, thus making the output 4 channel? If yes, how are the inputs assigned to the different outputs?

no, there is no way to switch between i2s and spdif sources without an external mux, i2s/dsd and spdif will play over each other if both are playing at the same time. there is a spdif mux on the die, but no functionality to switch 2s or dsd, this must be done on the transport side afaik. acko has an i2s mux in the works, i'm sure he'll clarify further.

no, there is no way to switch between i2s and spdif sources without an external mux, i2s/dsd and spdif will play over each other if both are playing at the same time. there is a spdif mux on the die, but no functionality to switch 2s or dsd, this must be done on the transport side afaik. acko has an i2s mux in the works, i'm sure he'll clarify further.

Alright, fair enough. I was actually already toying with the idea of building a simple I2S mux myself consisting of 1 quad 2:1 mux and 1 double 2:1 mux (as I couldn't find a hexa 2:1 mux). I'll just wait a bit and see what acko comes up with.

I'm still curious about the select source DAC 3/4 7/8 command though...

Yes you can with certain configurations. i2s uses DATA1 to DATA5 pins. This leave DATA6, DATA7 and DATA8 for spdif. You can manually switch between I2S and up to 3 spdif inputs

and share ground? what i mean is that if there is something playing on i2s, it will continue to play, i dont mean physically, obviously with 8 inputs, particularly with ackodac you can have them both hooked up, but afaik internally the mux cannot switch the 2s off if its connected and playing as it can with spdif; it will continue to play underneath the spdif. if you can physically switch them you'll be ok, but that would mean not using the rather excellent impedance controlled mini bnc connection scheme. until the i2s mux board is ready anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.