ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AKD18

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your valuable posts. I am travelling at the moment so just based on memory for the time being, I will try to clarify in stages:

The AKD12 (9012) is dedicated for 1-2CH only and the AKD18(9018) has all the 8CH outputs on separate output lines for multi-channel audio. There are no switches or jumpers for either version as I wanted to keep the trackwork simple and direct from input to output. You can combine the AKD18 outputs off-board from 1 to 8CH. The inputs for both version are identical, i.e they all go into 8 separate DACs within the chip.

Both 9012 and 9018 chips have built-in spdif receiver with 8CH Mux so no external receiver (like CS8416) is needed.

The respective DAC controllers (AKC12 and AKC18) are configured physically for the intended applications. The AKC12 for 2CH stereo from I2S/DSD and spdif (up to 8Ch selectable). The AKC18 for multi-channel I2S/DSD sources. Spdif can also applied to the AKD18 inputs but the controller (AKC18) has no channel selector on board, so spdif will default to CH1 (on D1 input). Both controllers have built-in functions for their respective application to make it easier to issue commands and also register level command functions for those who wish to have more control.

The Channel mapping for
PCM(I2S) is:

BCK -> CK
LRCK -> D1

DATA - CH Output
D2 - CH1, CH2
D3 - CH3, CH4
D4 - CH5, CH6
D5 - CH7, CH8

For the AKD12 (9012) D2,D2,D4 and D5 must be connected together (externally) to the I2S DATA line of transport. CH1,CH3.CH5 and CH7 are combined on-board for LEFT channel and CH2,CH4, CH6, CH8 for the RIGHT Channel.

For the AKD18 (9018) D2,D2,D4 and D5 are connected to the respective channel DATA lines of transport. For an 8CH system they all come out as above.
You can also combine the outputs (off-board) to suit:
e.g, for 4 CH 'Stereo' combine CH1,CH3 for Front LEFT, CH5,CH7 for Rear LEFT, CH2,CH4 for Front RIGHT and CH6.CH8 for Rear RIGHT. The corresponding inputs also need to be connected together (D2,D3) and (D4,D5) to DATA lines

If you wish to connect Spdif also then you are left with 3 input Channels only: D6,D7 and D8 and selection by the AKC12 channel selector. There is no physical channel selector on AKC18 so you need to issue I2C commands to the MUX register if the DAC chip and then SAVE it to set it this way always.

I haven't really tested this but I would agree with GLT that you can switch/select between i2S and spdif as configured above.

Attachments

• AKD18P.JPG
    AKD18P.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 575
hmm, ok, so you need a uC for testing this? or can i test just by leaving 2s connected and selecting spdif on D6, D7, D8 with the onboard rotary? i guess i'll give it a try connected as above, its not like it will ever be an issue that would worry me anyway, the lack of an i2s mux on the other hand is proving a little troublesome with A/B testing i'm doing at the moment.

so its just multiple 2s sources with akd12 where you get the overlay, the spdif muxing is dominant? in other words its only caseswhere there is a board level physical conflict where there is a problem, rather than being any software/firmare limitation?

Last edited:
ok well that should allow it, i'll test it out, i just try to keep the number of times i make different connections on the pcb bncs to a minimum as the datasheet specifies a limited number before they become ineffective and i already made quite a number (i dont know how many) before I knew about that. do you have any personal info on this? are they just being safe? I dont have any spdif sources hooked up at the moment, but thats easy enough to remedy. i'll shoot you an email later this week, i'm out today and tuesday, but will do so after that.

I can't send PM to acko, I don't know why.I have question about USB-->I2S module.It is the AKU-24 module?And what operating system supports?I have MacOS and need DIY project for iMac+iTunes.I find the new released USB DAC AKD-AKD23S that supports MacOS and Windows.
AKD-23S is combination from AKU-24 + 9023 DAC-AKD-20?
Thanks in advance

AKU24 USB-I2S

I can't send PM to acko, I don't know why.I have question about USB-->I2S module.It is the AKU-24 module?And what operating system supports?I have MacOS and need DIY project for iMac+iTunes.I find the new released USB DAC AKD-AKD23S that supports MacOS and Windows.
AKD-23S is combination from AKU-24 + 9023 DAC-AKD-20?
Thanks in advance

AKU-24 can also be used for Windows and MacOS PCs. The AKD2x series have similar designs just rearrangements to suit end applications.

No problems in receiving other PMs. Inbox is fine. Try again.

I2S/DSD and SPDIF switching

As I understand it, it's possible to switch between I2S/DSD and SPDIF input by changing register 8. Possibly, this selects which inputs are active, although I have not found any specifics. Does the AKC18 have a builtin function call for changing this register? The functionality is not mentioned in the documentation for AKC18 and while it can be set using the general "set register" command I don't know what values are allowed/accepted. If there is no abstracted command to select input, then what are the possible register settings?

Register 8 is for selecting Automute lev trigger source (I2S or spdif), not for switching between I2S and Spdif inputs. Looks a bit confusing with the "SPDIF_ENABLE" print in the datasheet. Not mapped in AKC12 functions-not commonly used. Left as default.

I'm curious of the select source for DAC 3/4 7/8 command. Does setting the value to 1 (Source DAC1/2 5/6) duplicate the signal such that outputs 1&3, 2&4, 5&7 and 6&8 are carrying the same respective signal, thus making the output 4 channel? If yes, how are the inputs assigned to the different outputs?

Register 14: Refers to FIR/IIR fillter source, not for channel combination. I am not sure what this setting does. Has this been discussed elsewhere? Can anyone else enlighten us?

Register 8 is for selecting Automute lev trigger source (I2S or spdif), not for switching between I2S and Spdif inputs. Looks a bit confusing with the "SPDIF_ENABLE" print in the datasheet. Not mapped in AKC12 functions-not commonly used. Left as default.

Some of the Sabre32 registers mix functions. So yes, bit 8 of reg8 is for manually selecting between I2S/DSD and SPDIF. This have to be used together with the auto SPDIF on/off in reg17. More info here: Sabre32 H i F i D U I N O

Register 14: Refers to FIR/IIR fillter source, not for channel combination. I am not sure what this setting does. Has this been discussed elsewhere? Can anyone else enlighten us?

This is also a mixed function register.
The higher 4 bits are for internally remapping the inputs to the DACs in order to "save" 4 input lines

Hello everyone ,
Is there someone who could be so kind and help me, i do not have the knowlegde to pick out what parts i would need for a good build.
I did look at twisted pair auido and had a friend make a list for me as he will build the dac for me .I read and was told the Acko solutions are even better than TWP items.
Could you look at the list and tell me what parts from Acko,s items would fit best.My friend wants to build the analoge stage himself as he makes fantastic mosfet amps and i want to buy the exaU2I USB to I2S Interface from exaDevices .i would think it best to build a full dual mono solution.Look forward to hearing from anyone , thanks so much .
2x Buffalo-III DAC
1x Sidecar S/PDIF/PCM Switch Module Kit
1x 4-Channel S/PDIF Input and Switch Module Kit
2x Low Current Dual Power Supply Kit (LCDPS)
2x Placid HD Bipolar Power Supply Kit
I would like to switch the input of the dac between a I2S signal and a S/PDIF. Thanks for all your help .
Regards shaun Halvorsen

I2S/SPDIF selection

Correction: AKC12 firmware in circulation does set this register to select between I2S and SPDIF (via rotary switch and remote functions). No update required for this function.
So you can have both i2S and SPDIF active and AKC12 can select between them without interference. (assuming of course spdif inputs are at D6,D7, D8 -3 CH only, the rest being used by I2S). if I2S is not used then up to 8CH spdif is available).

Last edited:
Hey Acko and others.

I have the new multichannel version And I have a few questions. The MCU that came with it doesn't have the same option switches, is it meant to be controlled via PC software? Would it be possible to use a exaU2I as the MCU instead? If someday I wanted to use the multichannel MCU that you provided, could I use it to connect an ADC(for vinyl) as i2s input and output that into my PC? Or would I need a separate i2s USB module for that?

thanks,

Will

Multi-Channel DAC

The MCU that came with it doesn't have the same option switches, is it meant to be controlled via PC software?

Yes, the MCU (AKC18) has full remote control functions and you can set any of the 9018 registers using the functions or direct register commands. Once satisfied with the configuration, simply issue the SAVE cmd to store the settings in the MCU. Would require heaps of hardware switches for all the possible settings so the reason for the 'soft' switches instead,

Would it be possible to use a exaU2I as the MCU instead?
I am assuming you are using this as the "transport" then yes exaU2I is a perfect match with its full 8CH capability. Simply connect the I2S outputs to the AKD18 inputs. I heard they have now come up with DSD version!

If someday I wanted to use the multichannel MCU that you provided, could I use it to connect an ADC(for vinyl) as i2s input and output that into my PC? Or would I need a separate i2s USB module for that?

Could you elaborate on this please?

Low Noise Regulator Modules

Hi, acko,

Thank you very much for your answer to my previous question.
By the way, I'm recently interested in a design, type, suitable input and output voltage of regulator units and bypass capacitors suitable for ES9018 chip.
You show a photo of "Low Noise Regulator Modules (Set of 6)-AKR" on your web page. I can't imagine detailed schematic of your modules by just looking at the picture.
Would you kindly tell us the type of regulator circuits; linear or shunt, employing discrete or LSI chip, etc.; type of bypass capacitor; ceramic or other, etc., input and output voltage, if they are not confidential and you don't mind?

Bunpei

Hi Acko,

Thanks for the quick response. I have found a solution for the ADC ripper I plan on building, I was confused at first about what the MCU actually does. Also, I plan on using batteries to power the dac how critical then is the quality of the regulators I use?

thanks,

Will

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.