About the difference between a speaker and a musical instrument

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A purely passive speaker would probably do well to avoid any sort of cabinet vibration, as this could lead to things such as distortion. If you however have an active cross-over with a DSP configured to cancel or reduce any cabinet-induced distortions, well maybe it could work...
But in any case I'm quite skeptical that it could provide any benefit at all over a totally stiff and unmoving cabinet.
Hi thanks a lot for the very helpful advice. I think that there is a lot to be learned from the very best cabinet for subwoofers out there :rolleyes:
When i look at what kind of beasts are some woofers ... the cage for them must be designed and built with very high standards indeed

Attachments

• c4da7f17ff7933efaedbc05e96498103.jpg
    c4da7f17ff7933efaedbc05e96498103.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 111
then there's the opposite which suggest the venerable sound of the the LS5A has the resonant cabinet to account for it's signature sound....

Imho is just fashion ... i am sure that the same exact drivers and x-overs put in a more "dead" box could sound even better. Not different ... better. No question.
British like to mix tech and voodoo ... they have been exposed to other cultures around the world. Africa ... Asia ... so on :rolleyes:

I'm sure that old Tannoy enclosures were designed to emulate a concert hall tone in a domestic room.

Yes ... and they indeed sounded boomy ... also because i think we overestimate the contribution of the sound coming from the side and back panels of a speaker. It is low in level
Anyway my feeling is that a distortion measurement would tell a lot
The enclosure would add other distortion to the one of the driver
I like this kind of graphs ... they look very useful to me It shows that problems start at around 100 dB .... at 1 meter i guess

https://referencehometheater.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/SVS-PB-1000-THDN-vs-Frequency.png

Attachments

• SVS-PB-1000-THDN-vs-Frequency.png
    SVS-PB-1000-THDN-vs-Frequency.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 78
Hi ! some years ago i was at an audio fair and there was a man from the German speakers manufacturer Fischer & Fischer
FISCHER & FISCHER – High end loudspeakers made of natural slate
showing the non-resonant quality of their speakers cabinets using a mechanism similar to the one in the picture
Out of curiosity recently i bought the one in the picture
When actioned in open air its sound is barely audible
Then i placed it on my bookshelf speakers ... it sounds like placed on the top of a classic acoustic guitar :eek:
Is this a very bad thing like i suppose ?
Needless to say that a similar mechanism placed on a speaker from Fischer & Fischer was sounding almost like in open air ... very impressive performance.
Quoting from their site

Building loudspeakers with natural slate cabinets is most logical. Due to its flaky, layered structure, its negligible re-sounding or re-echoing qualities and its extremely high mass, the material boasts extraordinary acoustic properties. The vibration-sensitive wooden loudspeaker cabinets customarily used deplete the loudspeaker chassis of energy because they incite the cabinet panels to vibrate. In slate cabinets, on the other hand, the entire energy of the loudspeaker is available to incite the surrounding air.
Amazing isn't it ?

Attachments

• mechanism.jpg
    mechanism.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.