• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Abbado II NOS DAC kits

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi Richard,

Is this the type of CM6631 board your referring to?

3256803190892004.html
Just to send an update to my listening experience with this DAC, I saw this reference by Vunce and thought I should give it a try. In another forum Richard had been discussing the use of a usb-to-I2S board based on PCM2706 as a decent implementation to get a usb output from any streaming source (I use an old cellphone as a matter of fact) so I found this board on Aliexpress (GY-PCM2706 PCM2706 USB TO I2S IIS Module) which was only $4-5 USD. So that's the board that I did my initial listening experience with. When I hooked up the above mentioned CM6631 board as my usb-to-I2S interface to Richard's DAC my listening experience changed dramatically, especially the impact of the lower frequencies. Even though I still would not call this a "warm" DAC, now I'm truly impressed on how even the presentation now, is from the bottom frequency response up to the top end. The lower bass and upper low end is really solid & pleasing now, and the presentation is still not colored at all. So, give this DAC a great PS & a quality interface board and it really is an impressive unit. Every type of music, from R&R to Classical, sounds wonderful on this DAC. I'd like to try the board mentioned by Prodigy85 (post #85) to see what it brings but boy are they expensive, certainly more than I paid for Richards DAC board....

Cheers, Pete

Reactions: 7 users
Hey abraxalito, it has been a while since I had a chance to follow your progress. I am still enjoying the Phidac with only 4 chips and now we are up over 20! Can you tell me how the Abbado compares to the Phidac? How does the Abaddo II compare to the Abaddo III? Do you have any kits left? Phidac.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Hi @pelopidas - thanks for sharing that pic of your build, its awesome! Out of curiosity, what's the black backing material you've used in the centre part?

Did you stack DAC chips in your PhiDAC to get to 4? As far as I remember there's only one DAC chip in the standard build.

The comparison between PhiDAC and Abbado will have to be from memory but the key difference between them is in the noise. While I haven't listened to PhiDAC for a long, long time it would sound 'low resolution' in comparison with my current designs, meaning that lower level musical details would be masked by noise. Also the higher frequencies will sound less refined due to the shallower filtering on PhiDAC (3rd order) compared to Abbado's 5th order filtering. Dynamics overall will sound better on Abbado for this reason and the reason of having a lower noise floor.

Abbado II to Abbado III differences aren't as large as those going from PhiDAC to Abbado II. The number of DAC chips only increased by 50% (16 to 24) which makes almost 2dB improvement in the noise. However given that Abbado III has its own volume control this means you'll not need a preamp which only works to add noise. So in a system sense the system built with Abbado III may get more than a 2dB overall improvement in the noise. With a 9th order filter the sound somehow is 'tighter', more dynamic. Yes we still have plenty of Abbado II kits available.

@abraxalito I do have 4 chips stacked on this one. I had a first one with only 1 chip and then this one. It does sound really good, better than anything else I ever had, but I can hear just the faintest background noise if I am in a completely quiet environment. So now I need to try the newest iteration. The black backing is just a thin board that I painted with some Blackest Black. https://www.culturehustleusa.com/products/black-3-0-the-worlds-blackest-black-acrylic-paint-150ml
I have a Singxer F1 coming this week. I am still running USB to ESS 9018 to SPDIF to AK 4118 to I2S to the Phidac. So the new setup will be USB to F1 to Phidac. I will find out if I wasted a bunch of money or not. Anyways, I'm going to send you a PM about getting your "newest and best".
Thanks @gpapag and @jimk04 for the kind words. I used to have it in a cigar box but that looked like it belonged in a college dorm room and I am too old for that. Wifey didn't approve. So for $1.50 at a flea-market I found this frame. The front looks a lot better than the back side ;)

Reactions: 1 users
My Abbado II kits arrived today, lovely quality boards and excellent packing. Many thanks Richard, looking forward to trying these out.

My build will be a balanced setup with two Abbado boards and the differential splitter module.

I managed to also grab some rare PCM63P-J DACs so will hopefully compare those to the Abbado at some point using Miro's NOS DAC design.

Reactions: 3 users
@abraxalito yes this is the board layout showing the schematic designations for components - the kit you have sent does not have the designations marked on the component packs.

For instance U1, U19 - U21 are either T86D or 164D there is no way of telling from the guide where to place them, they are the same SOIC package.

Also the 22R is for U22/23?

There is no way I want to mess this up.

Last edited: