A Troels G. shortlist - advice/opinions please!

Remember for every +3db you need to double the amplifier power.
So when choosing a speaker, definitely take in account the sensitivity,
With +90db speakers you'll have much more compatible amplifiers,
the amplifier doesn't need to play loud (loud=high voltage swing),
that means less amplifier distortion.

My speakers are 93db and are quite happy with 25watt (preferable in class A :) )

Last edited:
Most, ironically, Your rationale above is why I began looking at Troels designs: with the idea that sensitive drivers would most likely have me listening (at moderate levels), in class A with my current amp. However, he also implied that the trade offs for sensitivity e.g size of drivers and other design considerations, were kind of inappropriate for solid state users like myself. So here I am!

Last edited:
With my 87 db Epos es 22's, which are somewhat notorious for liking lots of power before they arise from slumber, I play cd at 8:00am for full whack and likewise LP at 9:00 to 9:30 volume control at which point, conversation can be difficult. More typically 7:00 and 8:00 respectively.

Then there is something seriously wrong with what is called "gain structure" of your set up.

2,100 euros at the last count and at the limits of my budget - the cabinet construction is down to me and the cost of this will be very small. There are plenty of TG designs with costlier drivers than these btw.

I had the tweeter at €400, the upper midrange at roughly €150 and the midwoofer at €370.

(b) No, of course not - How could I make any such judgements in my position? I don't have any comparative expectations with regards to performance of speakers in my room.

Not sure I understand. The expected performance in your room of the various speakers you have considered is irrelevant?

Always difficult, I guess, for those with the competence to design crossovers etc, to understand poor fellows like me! Difficult for me to get my head round an apparent tautology in your final comment. If you are referring to those who like value for money and value technical competence and have the competence to design, then of course they wouldn't choose in the way that I have chosen. Perhaps you are saying that those interested in building kits, or someone else's design have no place on diyaudio; in which case sorry to have intruded!

You have settled on a design for good reasons as you see and value things. In this thread and elsewhere there is conflict between the scientific/technical view and more audiophile/subjective ones of various flavours. In you case a lack of relevant technical knowledge requires you to look for guidance from others and choose who/what to believe without really being sure what is or is not correct technically. Plus of course you will value a range of other things apart from technical performance.

In the light of this I was simply trying to understand your reasoning for ending up where you are. You have supplied some of this in your reply so thanks.

I had the tweeter at €400, the upper midrange at roughly €150 and the midwoofer at €370.

There's quite a discount available for purchase of 4 woofers, I've seen the tweeters for less. Uppermid? Agreed, I haven't found cheaper.

Not sure I understand. The expected performance in your room of the various speakers you have considered is irrelevant?

Not at all, just that without measurements, I can only depend on rather general
characteristics, probabilities, tendencies.

You have settled on a design for good reasons as you see and value things. In this thread and elsewhere there is conflict between the scientific/technical view and more audiophile/subjective ones of various flavours. In you case a lack of relevant technical knowledge requires you to look for guidance from others and choose who/what to believe without really being sure what is or is not correct technically. Plus of course you will value a range of other things apart from technical performance.

I like this summary!

In the light of this I was simply trying to understand your reasoning for ending up where you are. You have supplied some of this in your reply so thanks.

Thanks to you too Andy! I won't tell you the story of how, at first, I mistakenly thought I was looking at a two way with single bass mids, albeit in a floor standing cabinet (and thinking how odd such a design solution was).... I'm very frugal in some aspects of my life! if only we had the means and the time, to fully explain how we ended up where we are ...

Last edited:
@ Rese66
About the dtqwt, you've heard it, you seem to like it, i know it's not an easy question, but how would you compare it to Mona Kea ? Initialy i was thinking about the TL2 as an evolution for me - a better one than my dtqwt - do you think Mono Kea would be another -and cheaper- solution - in this way for me ?

It is difficult to make a comparison because there was quite a bit of time between the speakers. In addition, the rooms were not comparable.
I would attest the MK a better 3-D imaging and more clarity in the sound. Despite the many drivers, it plays like a single piece.
The DTQWT was also good in all areas, but it didn't catch me that much and I would always prefer the MK. So I think the MK would definitely be a good solution for you.

Uppermid?

A 2.5" driver is too small to handle the lower midrange frequencies and is conventionally used as an upper midrange in 4 ways. SBAcoustics refer to theirs as a filler driver which is slightly different.

A 6.5" driver is too small to be a woofer in main speakers in a normal room. Woofers tend to be 8" or above in size with 10-12" being around the minimum size for clean low frequency transients at standard levels in a non-booming medium sized room. Multiple drivers is a way for smaller drivers to get adequate volume displacement and this is reflected in the modern trend to move away 1 x 12" woofers in a wide cabinet to 2 x 8" woofers in a narrow tower cabinet. 2 x 6.5" is marginal in terms of cone area but your extremely expensive midwoofers have a larger than normal displacement and so they might be adequate. Not optimum but possibly adequate.

Of course if you used woofer/s then you would also need to use a midrange driver in a 3 way or a lower midrange and upper midrange drivers in a 4 way. The design you have chosen has the disadvantage of being unbalanced in having an overly wide passband for the midwoofer and an overly small passband for the upper midrange (assuming the driver is used as intended) with no balancing advantage that I can see (involves a degree of speculation given the absence of a firm design) with nothing to justify such a high price in terms of technical performance. To the cynical it might look like picking the currently most fashionable expensive drivers and chucking them together in a box rather than designing a speaker and picking drivers that meet the requirements. I think this point may have been made by others earlier in the thread.

There is a physical relation between efficiency, size and low-cutoff. In essence a small speaker with high efficiency will have lousy low frequency reproduction.
Don't tell me about that relation, it's the most frustrating in speaker design, there are no free lunches.
With reasonable size I mean about 100 liter, that volume can give good sensitivity and good bass

It is difficult to make a comparison because there was quite a bit of time between the speakers. In addition, the rooms were not comparable.
I would attest the MK a better 3-D imaging and more clarity in the sound. Despite the many drivers, it plays like a single piece.
The DTQWT was also good in all areas, but it didn't catch me that much and I would always prefer the MK. So I think the MK would definitely be a good solution for you.
Thx for the answer. I think i will go to the MK, all the more Monacor speakers are cheaper and easy to find in here in France. But when i start buidling new speaker, i take existing model, don't try to change/adapt crossover or speakers, and i take a lonnnnng time to adpat the box to my taste, knowing that some changes are not possible without a change in crossover. So it take a long time to finish the build. So, while thinking/buiding the MK, i think i will try the OBL15 from Troels : i already have the tweeter and mid from the dtqwt and a large part of the crossover, i just have to find the woofers, and the basic buidling - without finish, just to try - is very easy. Speakers are also a matter of taste, and who knows, perhaps i'll fall in love of OB.

A 2.5" driver is too small to handle the lower midrange frequencies and is conventionally used as an upper midrange in 4 ways. SBAcoustics refer to theirs as a filler driver which is slightly different.

"The design you have chosen has the disadvantage of being unbalanced in having an overly wide passband for the midwoofer and an overly small passband for the upper midrange."

Yes, I believe I already have some sort of understanding of these particular characteristics. So, for a non techno like me, can you briefly explain why you perceive these characteristics as excessive "overly" and why they suggest an unbalanced design?

Allegedly, the Purifi's drivers are less prone to the potential compromise to the mid range that can sometimes be the case with larger than e.g. 4" mid drivers and I'm guessing that's a part of their particular suitability for 2 way designs . I'm not sure if that's also relevant to your comment above. I should add that with my limited knowledge, I've referred to the design as a 3 way, given the line up. It's clearly not a 2 way!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that a 6.5 "driver is too small for bass in normal living rooms. That always depends on the driver and the Purifi can do a lot there.
And a lot of 6.5 "drivers are absolutely 2-way suitable, so the combination with the midrange dome is quite possible.
For example, we already heard very loud with the Lewis in Alex's listening room (normal conversations were no longer possible) without noticeable loss of sound. And that's a simple 2-way design with one 6.5 "driver.
Pegelfeste lineare TQWT mit 30Hz Tiefgang und gutem Abstrahlverhalten - gazza-diy-audio.de

But I also think the project is very expensive. Of course the drivers are all very good, but then everything else has to be perfect to really have an advantage. And when I look at the cabinets and measurements at Selah, I don't know whether that is really the case.

Thx for the answer. I think i will go to the MK, all the more Monacor speakers are cheaper and easy to find in here in France. But when i start buidling new speaker, i take existing model, don't try to change/adapt crossover or speakers, and i take a lonnnnng time to adpat the box to my taste, knowing that some changes are not possible without a change in crossover. So it take a long time to finish the build. So, while thinking/buiding the MK, i think i will try the OBL15 from Troels : i already have the tweeter and mid from the dtqwt and a large part of the crossover, i just have to find the woofers, and the basic buidling - without finish, just to try - is very easy. Speakers are also a matter of taste, and who knows, perhaps i'll fall in love of OB.

Sounds like a good plan. OB also has its charm, but you also have to be able to position it correctly.
My opinion is that you should always build a speaker by a designer true to the original. If you know the result, you can of course play with it a little longer. However, the basis must always be the original, otherwise you cannot evaluate the design.

Yes, I believe I already have some sort of understanding of these particular characteristics. So, for a non techno like me, can you briefly explain why you perceive these characteristics as excessive "overly" and why they suggest an unbalanced design?

A driver needs to be physically large to shift enough air at low frequencies while at the same time physically small to avoid/minimise cone resonance issues at high frequencies. There are of course other considerations and one or two things that can be done to extend a passband at either end but it is broadly why a driver has a comfortable passband of roughly a decade.

So your 6.5" midwoofer is sized for use as a lower midrange in a possibly high performance 4 way or a modestly performing 2 way with resonance issues at the high frequency end of the passband and inadequate SPL at the low.

Filler drivers have little to no passband and are something of a bodge to handle the inadequacies of passive crossovers. A competent implementation would be an improvement over the underlying 2 way but inferior to a competent implementation of a conventional 3 way with more appropriately sized drivers and more evenly balanced passbands. (In the absence of a design this is speculation on how your 2.5" driver may be used between a 6.5" midwoofer and a large 1.5" tweeer.)

Allegedly, the Purifi's drivers are less prone to the potential compromise to the mid range that can sometimes be the case with larger than e.g. 4" mid drivers and I'm guessing that's a part of their particular suitability for 2 way designs.

They look like well designed midwoofers which are sized for use in 2 ways and 4 ways but are too small to be a woofer and too large to be a midrange in a conventional 3 way. The price would seem to place them more in the boutique audiophile category rather than serious high performance category. The most appropriate use I can see for them would be to cover the 100-1kHz range in a cardioid design. The large amount of sound cancellation in such designs significantly reduces efficiency and raises distortion which the long stoke design would help counter.