A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

I measured the test tone at:

• 2 volts or less

Votes: 334 40.5%
  • Between 2-5 volts

Votes: 253 30.7%
  • Between 5-10 volts

Votes: 106 12.9%
  • Between 10-20 volts

Votes: 55 6.7%
  • Over 20 volts.

Votes: 76 9.2%

• Total voters
Hi, I'm using it for home use only and hope also can use in the party. I don't like to use the 3 way crossover because I want both the mid and low frequency from the main 15" speaker system besides we have no good quality Crossover available in our local market. That's why using only capacitor and register for the midrange and horn tweeter. Please tell me your opinion about a crossover system that can be used only for the mid and high or kindly give me a suggestion that what actually do for the speakers. Note that I don't want to replace my speaker system. May be I can change or rebuild a new one. Another think to know about my amplifier that I'm using for the speaker now; is it right with my speaker configuration? Please suggest me.

Thanks,
Paul

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you are using efficient driver, like 93dB or better, then your 100W amp should give you plenty of headroom. Why not run the test and see?

Find a few dynamic recordings, set your max level, then measure the test tone. You can report your findings here.

Ok soon I'll test it and let you know the volt. Just tell me a few things that shall I set the AC in my AVO/Multimeter to test the speaker terminal volt during playback? and what would be the voltage should set on the scale like 20v/100v or 10v in the AVO meter? Shall I collect the highest volt during testing? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Paul... start by playing your favourite CD's as loud as you ever might use so that you can set your volume control at that level. Then leaving the volume control set where it is play back either of the two test tones that you got from post #2 in this thread. With your meter on AC volts (the 10 volt range is fine to start with) just tell us here in this thread what the voltage is. If the voltage is higher than ten volts then of course you need to go up a range on the meter, if its much lower then go to the next range down to get a more accurate reading.

I have tested and found the highest volt 23 with 70% volume pressure out of 100%. Took the input from my mobile. Though the mobile volume was almost full (around 80%) but the output gain of the mobile not as same as CD or DVD (bit low). Now I'm waiting for a result. Please tell me about my system.

Thanks,
Paul

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Those readings don't sound quite right tbh. A measured 23 volts means your peak voltage would be 92 volts giving an rms value of 65 volts. If the readings are correct then 65 volts rms means you are delivering over 500 watts rms into 8 ohms and over a 1000 watts into 4 ohm.

I not sure how well your mobile is doing as a source tbh and whether the levels are consistent between the various parts of the tests. That is the beauty of using a CD player, the output is fixed and not subject to volume controls and other processing.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, use the CD player and your favourite disc to set the volume to the loudest you would ever use. Then burn the files at the start of this thread to a CDR and play the file back leaving the volume control exactly where it was set at the start. That will give you a true result.

Interesting read over this thread.

I would need a 25w amp and if I give myself extra headroom 50w.

Damn I want the musical fidelity x-a50s perfect for me. Considering the clones but this is not the place to discuss.

I am however interested to hear from people who like bass. It is a good test, but I think it comes down to peoples own needs and what they listen to.

I could listen to something like mr writer at a moderate level. But if I put something like this on Knife Party - Centipede (Official Video) - YouTube the kid inside me wants more and more.

Although a good test I think you have to account for different tastes in music etc.

It is only figures. I have come to the conclusion that sound is subjective.

Although this is a good base test to determine what power you require. It is flawed, the reason it is flawed is because you have human input, and where you have human input you will get errors. And this can never be measured.

Like I said before I can listen to one song at ref level and I have plenty of headroom, but if I switch to a different style of music I want more power (sheer kid in me), this is why I think this test should be personal to who carries it out.

... this is why I think this test should be personal to who carries it out.
It IS personal.

YOU play YOUR music at the level YOU like. The test just tells you what power YOU need.

Your girlfriend, wife, mother etc do the same test with their music at the the level they like and the test tells them what power they need.

On different days, depending on your mood, you may play different music at different levels ... but each time, you can do the test again and find out what power you need that day.

I read the first ten pages.

And I do think it is a good test, but if I listen to two different styles of music at the same reference level.

One is lacking in power (but is comfortable to listen to) the other is the most I would push from my system.

Do I go with the latter or take an average?

As mentioned I want some monblocks 50w p/ch, but I would never use all of the available power, only when the kid inside me wants more.

Or is it better to go with your normal usage and have a powered sub to compensate?

I agree with this poll and at peak I am less than 5v and with normal easy listening I peak around 1.5v. My question is where do you take the reference.

If I went for 5v output then my normal listening music would be ruined @5v output.

Yes it is a poll, but where would you take your average allowing extra headroom should the mood take you? Surely this would tell you what real life power you require?