A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

Select the driver that you think sounds best here.

• A

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • B

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • C

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • D

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • E

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • F

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • G

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • H

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will make a "mini"monitor with a 12 inch when (if) I get time:eek:(
I have two back loaded horns around 100L that I will re-cycle into sealed boxes and xo'ed around around 800 Hz.

Steve decleared me insane when proposing this little gem in another thread. Too bad for him to miss this one:eek:)

I'm itching to know what I voted for. I don't think it was the FRS5X. My vote reflected some character I liked about the driver, but when looking at my notes again, one driver stuck out with consistent comments like "neutral" and "laid back". I knew I should've slept on it before voting.

So my vote is a bit meaningless really, but ill be waiting for the result to see what it was and what the "laidback" driver was (which should've got my vote)

The FRS5X is quite nice, but really is the budget option here and realistically has little chance of coming first. Its akin to the 2" buyout that Graaf used, way back when.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It sounds like the setup and all sound clips are working properly in that folks are able to listen and hear preferences.

There are exciting sounding drivers in here for sure. In general they're mostly running on the "hot" end. If these were xo at 225Hz as in the last test and level adjusted to be even at 225Hz, the "hotness" in the treble would stick out even more.

I spent hours listening last night with headphones and find that I can't do it based on what I like, but rather what I "object" to. So eliminate ones I don't like. It's a slow process though. I think in the end this is the way to get to the neutral driver.

I had a single pass on each track, made notes, then went back to the 'shortlist' of 3 without seeing what the clip was until I had rated it again. Of the 3 it was a tough choice, but reviewing the notes again today and I immediately kicked myself as one driver (not the one I voted for) was consistently 'neutral', and on all clips. The one I voted for was good on all but one clip (#5).

Either way, I don't like the recording of #5 (mastering, not your recording)

I agree. I guess I'm not so used to objectively listening in quite this way. If I were tuning a crossover for example, I would listen for an extended period of time. Listening fatigue is far more apparent that way, I.e. If after 10 minutes I am changing tracks, CDs or switching off, then there is something wrong. If I end up listening (and even falling asleep) then Ive got a better tuning :D

Same for me, I kept going back and forth between the recorded samples and the reference samples, and eliminated the ones that sounded "off". Funnily, one driver always went off the list first, and one driver always remained on top. I got a top-three, in which #1 and #2 were fairly close to each other. Some other drivers sounded nice on some tracks (pleasantly "enhanced"), while sounding weird on others. My first two choices sounded consistently good on all tracks.

For listening to the files, I used Foobar2000 on my laptop, with an ODAC/O2 combo driving a Sennheiser HD650. I have no reason to doubt my hearing at the moment (no cold, headache or other condition that might affect my hearing), so I consider my vote to be quite reliably representative for my taste.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Same for me, I kept going back and forth between the recorded samples and the reference samples, and eliminated the ones that sounded "off". Funnily, one driver always went off the list first, and one driver always remained on top. I got a top-three, in which #1 and #2 were fairly close to each other. Some other drivers sounded nice on some tracks (pleasantly "enhanced"), while sounding weird on others. My first two choices sounded consistently good on all tracks.

For listening to the files, I used Foobar2000 on my laptop, with an ODAC/O2 combo driving a Sennheiser HD650. I have no reason to doubt my hearing at the moment (no cold, headache or other condition that might affect my hearing), so I consider my vote to be quite reliably representative for my taste.

Hi Timpert,
I am finding myself in a similar situation with 4 top contenders that take carefully listening to cull. I am using just headphone outs from laptop and Sony MDRV6 headphones. How do you like your ODAC/O2. I was considering getting it - specs look really nice. It might just be a great preamp for driving my main system.

Thanks for the loan of the A7P's for this test.

This is much harder than the previous tests. So far I have only really eliminated 3. There seems to be several nice drivers in this group.
It is going to take much longer to really narrow this down I think. Glad there are 2 weeks.
I hope my little contribution wins of course, but it has some strong competition.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is much harder than the previous tests. So far I have only really eliminated 3. There seems to be several nice drivers in this group.
It is going to take much longer to really narrow this down I think. Glad there are 2 weeks.
I hope my little contribution wins of course, but it has some strong competition.

I agree that it is much harder than previous rounds. As you said there are several nice entrants here and many do a respectable job. Thanks for providing the P830983!

Hi X,
How do you like your ODAC/O2.
I love them. The O2 was designed specifically with the HD650 in mind, and I really think it gets the best out of my cans. The ODAC is a trouble free DAC which works as soon as you plug it into your computer, and like the O2, it doesn't add any "special sauce" to the sound. I have the O2 for four years now, and the ODAC from a little while after it came out, and I don't see any reason to replace them with something else.

In my experience, components with a strong character may soup up the sound on some recordings, but in the same effort, they screw up the sound on others. I used to have some of these "character components", but I found that after an initial period of satisfaction, the limitations they imposed on my listening always killed them off after a while. I found myself searching for records that would sound good with my components instead of searching for music I like.

as a functional preamp with nice switching and a solid feel, Emotiva has a good unit - its price might dip with a sale later this year and is at ~269 now. Emotiva

I've got AudioNote (tube output and regulation), Ross Martin, Derek Shek, two transformer dac, and a few others including the first Emotiva DAC with discrete audio circuitry which mates nice with an inexpensive Chinese SE UL EL34 amp/Heresy I with old KBG caps

are there good music tracks to listen for decay? - plate reverb if recorded well probably is a good tool.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
as a functional preamp with nice switching and a solid feel, Emotiva has a good unit - its price might dip with a sale later this year and is at ~269 now. Emotiva

I've got AudioNote (tube output and regulation), Ross Martin, Derek Shek, two transformer dac, and a few others including the first Emotiva DAC with discrete audio circuitry which mates nice with an inexpensive Chinese SE UL EL34 amp/Heresy I with old KBG caps

are there good music tracks to listen for decay? - plate reverb if recorded well probably is a good tool.

That's a lot of DAC's Freddi! :0

I don't know anything about DAC's or boutique DAC's
I just got a SPDIF/Toslink input and RCA output DAC that uses
these fairly basic components:

Cirrus Logic CS8416 192kHz low jitter SPDIF/AES/EBU digital mux and receiver
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS8416_F3.pdf

Cirrus Logic CS4344-CZZR 24bit 192kHz stereo DAC
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/76/CS4344-45-48_F2-472818.pdf

Is it any good?

You want to listen for something that has natural decay? Maybe try the Steve Clarke drum solo CD.

hi XRK971 - next in your never ending sets of recordings = the "best" FR in XKi and/or Karlsonator :D:D - the last DAC I got ($80 total!) has a 4398 - output transformers seem good to my bandwidth limited hearing - I think cds are lacking from the getgo but don't have any good dvd/24bit files to compare - maybe that's just my imagination Review: Aeolus Audio magiDAC

nice part on the Emotiva is a wide range precise volume control and several digital inputs selectable via remote or front panel switches so it can function as a real preamp - not sure if its op-amp out sounds as good as the previous model's discrete circuit - could be system dependent - the earlier version had a digital volume control which had to be left all the way up to preserve data

Have you ever seen a measurement of the A7P not by the manufacturer?

FWIW I don't think I have seen any amateur measurements of any of the drivers in this test - though I have seen critique of both MA and TB datasheets. In the latter case, I think its largely hocum, but their graphs are plotted on stupid scales. However, they aren't alone in this.

THD info is the hardest to come by, leaving most decisions to guesswork based on available data on motor design.

Looking into the whole measurement equipment/ARTA/REW ratsnest as I speak, and hopefully I can answer some of the questions that have eluded me so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.