A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

Select the driver that you think sounds best here.

• A

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • B

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • C

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • D

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • E

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • F

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • G

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • H

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok I will see what I can do about AC/DC tonight. My work never ends with this thread. :D

Just thought about - can't do it. It would mean resetting up each driver again just for one song. And the song would not be recorded at the same time anymore as the previous tracks. Sorry.

I have track 1 which is female vocal jazz and track 3 which is jazz with saxophone. I did not think that they added any value so left them off. Don't want to inundate listeners with too much to listen to.

Hope what I have is sufficient. The higher XO has been good for allowing the 2in drivers to keep up with the bigger 3 and 4in units.

One of the 2inchers surprised the heck out of me - sounded like a smooth big driver.

Hope what I have is sufficient. The higher XO has been good for allowing the 2in drivers to keep up with the bigger 3 and 4in units.

One of the 2inchers surprised the heck out of me - sounded like a smooth big driver.

Im sure one did (I have a fair guess which)

However, at least in Boxsim simulation the FRS5X with a BW4 HP at 500 Hz is good for 90 dB @ 600Hz - not much headroom for a test at 85dB with BSL2 HP...

Though this probably has a lot to do with its low power VC

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Im sure one did (I have a fair guess which)

However, at least in Boxsim simulation the FRS5X with a BW4 HP at 500 Hz is good for 87 dB not much headroom for a test at 85dB with BSL2 HP...

Though this probably has a lot to do with its low power VC

That driver is rated at 86dB at 1W and 1m and it's rated for 10w Max so would be good for 95dB peak. This is 85 dB at 0.5m so power input is only about 1.4volts.

Last edited:
That driver is rated at 86dB at 1W and 1m and it's rated for 10w Max so would be good for 95dB peak. This is 85 dB at 0.5m so power input is only about 1.4volts.

Ah....that would make sense.

perhaps then it still has a fighting chance... they sound nice to me. I'm probably deaf though

:eek::D

(I want it to get good votes, its the only one I have heard 'first hand' although I doubt it will. Heck I doubt that I have rated it well - Ill wait and see what the results say at close of the poll, and see where I rated it.)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ah....that would make sense.

perhaps then it still has a fighting chance... they sound nice to me. I'm probably deaf though

:eek::D

(I want it to get good votes, its the only one I have heard 'first hand' although I doubt it will. Heck I doubt that I have rated it well - Ill wait and see what the results say at close of the poll, and see where I rated it.)

I have to say I was quite surprised to see how smooth and extended this frequency response graph is:
frs5x_fs.gif

It might actually hold its own for a lot of mid/tweeter duties.

I have 6 of them.

The plan at the time was to use 3 arranged I a triangle above a good midwoofer, xo about 800Hz. If that failed, I was going to try a small array, before spending money on 58 more and a couple of subs.

Its daft of me that I didn't notice how close you mic'd this lot.

Still despite that, speech can be heard in the background at the start of track 2 hehe

The graph is smooth yes, but caveat being that Visaton measure in various ways. I'll have to check Boxsim and see how it was measured (I.e. In their small box, or DIN baffle etc)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ahhh ok. That's cool. I'll look forward to seeing if I can guess which it is (without saying here)

Good call by Timpert, ill also look forward to seeing how it polls :)

Correction: Timpert provided the A7P but the FRS5X was with the B80 that Peter Brorrson provided. Sorry about the mixup hard to keep straight sometimes.

:D... Thanks X and generous members providing drivers we have a round 3 going.

Think because it's holyday season here in EU there's a chance many is offline at moment for a period, is there chance to count for this by setting little longer time limit for votes as in round 1 for example.

Made the downloads for 32 drivers and 4 reference sound clips, think recording quality seems quite good maybe better than round 2 and deffently better than round 1, a dirty quick listen reveal at least one driver sounds very nice to me. Agree others miss the ACDC hard rock signature that revealed some signatures in a fast way, mayby local adding guitar tube preamp distortion effect or pedal to classical track would help getting back that wideband signature on notes :rolleyes:.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
:cop: Looks like the poll disappeared. Are you able to add it back in? If not, outline what it should say and a mod will fix it.

Poll should say "Select the driver (A thru H) that you think sounds best given the sound clips provided." As folks may be on holiday, let's make it 2 weeks before poll closes at 12:00GMT on Sunday Aug 9.

Thanks,
X

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
:D... Thanks X and generous members providing drivers we have a round 3 going.

Think because it's holyday season here in EU there's a chance many is offline at moment for a period, is there chance to count for this by setting little longer time limit for votes as in round 1 for example.

Made the downloads for 32 drivers and 4 reference sound clips, think recording quality seems quite good maybe better than round 2 and deffently better than round 1, a dirty quick listen reveal at least one driver sounds very nice to me. Agree others miss the ACDC hard rock signature that revealed some signatures in a fast way, mayby local adding guitar tube preamp distortion effect or pedal to classical track would help getting back that wideband signature on notes :rolleyes:.

I am kicking myself for not including ACDC on the CD track used for making the test. Having 6 x 45 second long clips on one long track really made data taking quick and painless. It should also make everything very consistent. But if the song wasn't on that auto run track it's a total pain to setup the speaker again.

I am glad you think they sound better. I am hoping that use of sealed Linkwitz transform bass is better. Use of novel Harsch transient perfect XO should be better, and use of higher XO point as pointed out by Barleywater to reduce IMD is better. Overall the distortion should be less, time alignment and coherency should be better, and group delay should be way down - in fact from 20ms at 40Hz before to about 5ms maximum. The amp now has the snubber mod and better power rail caps. So lots of little improvements along the way. If my new LM386 amp had come in time there may even be improvements there.

Thank you Byrtt - your generosity with drivers and tools made this test possible.

So I made 4 playlists with each song x 8 drivers. It is much harder to weed it out this time as many sound good. It think the higher XO and I am setting levels to have a balance rather than set it to match at the XO hand off point.

Last edited:
See clearly above you have cared and put more thoughts and effort plus free time to this round, not to speak about how in other threads you had to defend setup. When you say you kick yourself for the ACDC track i regret mention it, it was just a try to tease a little or joke. No don't kick yourself because of that little personal ego preference for me that made my listening test little faster set up against you done your best. On the other side other members had wished classical tracks in the other rounds verse hard rock so now we have the listen their cats pulled in the tail :p verse they had to live with ours at that time and it seems fair enough. Look forward make my listening decision among the the good quality sound clips, make my vote and have some fun down the road.

Don't beat yourself up X.

The ACDC track before was good as it was a little more 'busy' sounding.

Whilst I'm not a classical music fan, in this round of tests, the classical track fills the 'busy' spot nicely, and was very revealing in itself and in a way the other 3 tracks were less so.

Personally, classical and R and B track (2&6 IIRC) helped to highlight any warts in the drivers.

We will.see how stupid I look when the poll closes :) at which point I'll blame my 'phones

Last edited:
(my} HA-M55X are pretty sensitive:D

After searching reviews for my headphones (2stars), I'm beginning to wish I had just used my CDX II (or III) earbuds now.

Mind you, with on going tonsillitis and ear infection, I don't hold out much hope of subjectively judging any sound at present.

:violin:

Worst of all, ive reviewed my notes on each clip again, and realised I voted for the wrong one...

One was very neutral, and it wasn't the one I voted for. Doh :headbash:

Last edited:
I have 6 of them.

The plan at the time was to use 3 arranged I a triangle above a good midwoofer, xo about 800Hz. If that failed, I was going to try a small array, before spending money on 58 more and a couple of subs.

I will make a "mini"monitor with a 12 inch when (if) I get time:eek:(
I have two back loaded horns around 100L that I will re-cycle into sealed boxes and xo'ed around around 800 Hz.

Steve decleared me insane when proposing this little gem in another thread. Too bad for him to miss this one:eek:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.