A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

Select the driver that sounds best to you.

• A

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • E

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • F

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • G

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is also the curryman DAC (ES9023) for the minisdsps for an improved experience !

Having myself two Subbu DAC (ES9023) I can say the AYA2 is in an far better league, although it's more expensive ! Curryman and Subbu are close for the outputs (Joachim Gerhardt output on the Curryman and in option on the Subbu).

There also some cheaps ES9023 dacs here but certainly not sounding as good as those two above : hifimediy HiFimeDIY Store

If a little more money the Ifi nano is a good buy as it can be use elswhere (battery, very quiet, the volume is numeric without loss !) nano | iFi Audio

my two cents

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am not sure what you are proposing. You would like another round of recordings using songs from your list? Pick top drivers again like top 2 from previous rounds?

I have the AC130F1 (from Continuum) in a speaker design as a mid bass - it's not full range, although close to a full range as it goes up to 10k. I could test it as a 3 way with a good tweeter just to show what a good three way can sound like. My current OB setup with TG9FD mid and Dayton ND25FA tweeter sounds exceptionally nice. I could pair that with the same sealed RS225 woofer.

It's a lot of work but maybe when I don't have a lot of pressing projects. Although I may make a clip of tracks 1 and 2 with my current 3 way OB project and post for you hear.

Here are some sound clips from my new TG9FD and ND25FA open baffle with the same RS225 woofer as used here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ct-3way-nearfield-monitor-13.html#post4495375

I just don't know, I have to dive deeply into REW to fix my speaker first ! (sibilance somewhere, maybe too flat curve at home; don't know yet as my old mic is not calibrated)>But it seems the TG9FD or TC7 are comming back very often : so seems an ideal trade off between all the drivers ranked here in a upper FR perspective ! With the new one, I will have more luck to find a consitant measure !

My DACs are from

HiFimeDIY Store

My amp is simply a JRC4556AD chip mounted on a piece of perfboard, powered by a couple of 12V SLA batteries that are not good enough to run a mobility scooter. I used this chip as it was the choice of NwAvGuy to use it in the O2. It was quick and easy to cobble together. If you look at the O2 schematic, you will see there is nothing special about the output stage.

I am planning to build to build something better, but for almost no money at all, I do get amazingly good sound.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There is also the curryman DAC (ES9023) for the minisdsps for an improved experience !

Having myself two Subbu DAC (ES9023) I can say the AYA2 is in an far better league, although it's more expensive ! Curryman and Subbu are close for the outputs (Joachim Gerhardt output on the Curryman and in option on the Subbu).

There also some cheaps ES9023 dacs here but certainly not sounding as good as those two above : hifimediy HiFimeDIY Store

If a little more money the Ifi nano is a good buy as it can be use elswhere (battery, very quiet, the volume is numeric without loss !) nano | iFi Audio

my two cents

If you think ES9023 is good, how does this look? Built with aluminum case RCA out and headphone out for $27. Why is 9023 better than unit in UCA202?

AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more

Tweeter showcases lower directivity and flatter frequency response without EQ.

TG9FD may readily be equalized to be just as flat on desired listening axis. With higher directivity than ND25FS, its polar response rolls off quicker, and starting at lower frequecncy.

A set of polar measurements of TG9FD equalized to flat on axis comparison of ND25FS polar measurements would be illuminating.

Track used for clip shows nice dynamic range; minimal or no compression.

Could you upload source track for reference?

Recording seems overly bright in 6kHz-12kHz range, likely your microphone.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's called Puccini's Walk by Chick Corea on "Further Explorations" CD disk 2, track 9. Here is video uploaded by the bass player on the CD, Eddie Gomez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSiMcolEvXk

You are right, there is a mild 2dB bump from 4k to 6k where the 1st order XO occurs. I probably should have done a -2dB Q=1.2 global EQ there. Will do that...

Last edited:
The NwAvGuy chose to use the ES9023 in the O2 for good reason. He wanted to improve on the UCA202 for a modest price. The chips are a more advanced design, and they measure better. He was hoping to get closer in sound to a $2000+ DAC.

The AliExpress ES9023 is probably great value for the money. It is less expensive than the O2 and probably similar in sound quality. The HifiMedDIY is very similar in sound quality to the O2 as stated by a person comparing them directly two years ago. Here is the thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/219140-hifimediy-es9023-te7022-24-96-usb-dac.html

Tweeter showcases lower directivity and flatter frequency response without EQ.

TG9FD may readily be equalized to be just as flat on desired listening axis. With higher directivity than ND25FS, its polar response rolls off quicker, and starting at lower frequecncy.

A set of polar measurements of TG9FD equalized to flat on axis comparison of ND25FS polar measurements would be illuminating.

Track used for clip shows nice dynamic range; minimal or no compression.

Could you upload source track for reference?

Recording seems overly bright in 6kHz-12kHz range, likely your microphone.

Ah, you are able to hear this brightness as I am :) ! How to know this is the mic or Something else ?

@ X and Cornelis: About the DAC : complex discussion, I will simply say a DAC is not just a dac chips and datasheets as you know yourselves ! ES9023 is a good QP, but it can't match the sound quality of a TDA1541A in a good Layout, even some with ESS 9018 chip owners says they are surprised as a good DAC with TDA 1541 can match and even winn on many reccordings ! But you guys have multiamps DAC, so the question stays : whic DAC good enough for both the sound and price as I need more than one DAC : I think Curryman DAC at MiniDSP is a good choice for some reasons (not only the chip !).

About the jazz track : it it on the loudness war link database I linked ?? Because I saw one Chick Korea on the 3 first pages when you sort out by the greatest dynamic range CDs ! Let me know if you find a known Jazz man on this site : i have some jazz cd flaced level 8 !

Ah I find an Audax HT170Z0 on my shelves, could be great with the TG9 above :) in OB for a cheap try ! their efficienty are close (a little 87 dB for this Audax which has a crazy smoth curve !), little for an OB, but just to try it should be ok despite -12 dB around 250/300 hZ for such cone size :)

regards

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ah, you are able to hear this brightness as I am ! How to know this is the mic or Something else ?

That's my fault as it was a rough cut EQ: all first order so there is a 3dB bump at the XO, but actually closer to 2dB rise in this case. I can simply do a global -2dB Q=1.3 EQ to get rid of it. Sounds better now - thanks.

I am not surprised this track ended up in that database. Great smashing drums and cymbals followed by powerful stand up bass and close to heavy handed piano after that but with delicate soft periods in between with shimmer of snare and high hats.

think I've a 1541 in a Shek dac - fwiw, transformer coupled 4398 are smooth and sometimes a pick over active outputs - final outcome might depend somewhat on the amp/cans/speakers. I've got a real old AN with tube output and tube shunt regulation which can sound good - Emotiva's first DAC with discrete output stage crappy volume control works well with a SE EL34UL amp and Klipsch Heresy I with "soft" KGB caps - mix and match for best result :D

That's my fault ....

:mad: I already advertised you X !.....

Ok, I send you Nora Jones for the punition.... Lucky guy :D !

Btw, more seriously, I'm sure looking at the first page of the dymanic range database here we should be finding in our respective database 3 albums of the most dynamics reccording Album list - Dynamic Range Database

For Instance : Happy mondays : I should have it
I saw some Chesky reccords : I haven't but sure someone has one
The Velvet Underground : Peel session
Dire Straits : Money for Nothing : someone here talked about this album iirc
Billie Holyday : Lady in Satin (both voice & classic orchestra while being Jazz ;) )

Just having a look at the 2 first pages !

Muddy Waters "Sings Big Bill" 1960 (Broonzy) and "Folk Singer" 1964 have good dynamic range. Jack Sheldon's old M&K cd "Playin' It Straight" is probably still the best for trumpet I've heard since it was released in 1984 for recording and extreme musicality - how well would a little FR handle Jack's trumpet? KV55/511B and a ring tweeter on top of my FH1 did pretty well

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.