A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As soon as I manage to make one that sounds good I’ll post it.

In case you haven’t seen my videos, (for example, the XSD speaker and others) that’s basically what I do with all my speakers. I was also one of the first people on DIYA to post sound clips of drivers in a controlled test so people can hear what they sound like and compare them.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...nd-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

There are 6 other threads in this series.

I did the same with headphone amps and power amps.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/virtual-audition-of-very-simple-quasi-mosfet-amp.295286/

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
Chdsl.
Zoltan Bays patent is just an improvement on the curved foil or paper rubanoide.
It also sounds very good too.
See picture.
Steve.
Could be, but who'd want such an ugly speaker in the living room for 55K?! That's one up-firing woofer and down-firing woofer in a continued(?) tube. The electrostat-like tweeter, most probably is a copy of Paddock's ideas/patents. Paddock had been pouring out patents for sometime.
tweeter.png
Looks pretty much like a normal Lineaum tweeter with only on "8" panel. Rubanoide is a copy of Paddock's ideas. Have you ever seen a rubanoide patent?

Anyway, it's cheaper to buy a aluminium, acrylic, plastic, eps/xps stiff ball for few euros and slit it. The idea is to send the sound waves along the panel, curved or otherwise (distributed mode).

Lee De Forest patent fig. 8 gives lot to think about.
curved point edge transfer of sound Lee de Forest..jpeg
The point transfer of up-firing 'exciter' to an expanding curved panel - there's lot of 'points' on the voice coil bobbin.
By the way, I've mentioned the idea of transferring the sound to many curved panels, a bouquet of panels, (NBC logo) before I discovered Lee De Forrest.

As soon as I manage to make one that sounds good I’ll post it.

In case you haven’t seen my videos, (for example, the XSD speaker and others) that’s basically what I do with all my speakers. I was also one of the first people on DIYA to post sound clips of drivers in a controlled test so people can hear what they sound like and compare them.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...nd-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

There are 6 other threads in this series.

I did the same with headphone amps and power amps.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/virtual-audition-of-very-simple-quasi-mosfet-amp.295286/
Hi Xrk971.
I got a little carried away and started going through your sound clips and posts, very interesting.
I noticed your short video of the No Ene ,would this be any good for edge damping or mounting of bendingwave panels ?
Can you buy it in rolls ?
Steve.

I was just playing around with the moulded EPS panel I found.
The skin is soft sounding unlike when it is cut using hot wire.
It is quite a rigid panel.
But I noticed as I was tapping it with my finger near the corners it started to have a ringing sound like a bell.
But in the centre area it gave a more dead, thonk, sound .
I use the NXT positions which is near the central area.
If using the 2 fifths positions this will put the exciter in the ringing sounding areas, could this be the cause of the echo sound experienced by Eric and others ?
I have not tested this on my other panels as I have just noticed it.
I Just thought I'd mention it incase anyone was interested in testing it for themselves.
Steve.

Joined 2020
I was just playing around with the moulded EPS panel I found.
The skin is soft sounding unlike when it is cut using hot wire.
It is just a part of a standard packing panel, most probably the bottom (or top) of the packing. Such panels are always moulded, so will always have a soft skin. It'd always have that tunnel effect, because it is a thick EPS panel. Best place your exciter on the edge, any edge.
The rubbish bins are full of them. :)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Xrk971.
I got a little carried away and started going through your sound clips and posts, very interesting.
I noticed your short video of the No Ene ,would this be any good for edge damping or mounting of bendingwave panels ?
Can you buy it in rolls ?
Steve.
Glad you found some of my sound lip posts. Back then it wasn’t common place to record with a phone and upload to YT in one swift step or I would have done that. We also had strict limits on sizes of uploads to DIYA servers of 3MB per file. The noene damping material probably is available in sheets but probably quite expensive. I have only seen it sold as shoe insole liners.

It is just a part of a standard packing panel, most probably the bottom (or top) of the packing. Such panels are always moulded, so will always have a soft skin. It'd always have that tunnel effect, because it is a thick EPS panel. Best place your exciter on the edge, any edge.
The rubbish bins are full of them. :)
Thats the problem right there as rubbish bins are full of "LOW GRADE" EPS.

They put it under tanks when installing to compensate imperfections in the surface, and it stays there. If they didn't, then a grain of sand under the tank could cause the bottom panel to crack.
I use to be in the home Aquarium hobby a long time ago but never heard of it because its only needed if ones tank is not free floating and most of the standard store bought glass aquariums are free floating. I use to see some plexi glass tanks that were not free floating but plexi scratches easy and at that time they were really expensive.

I also wonder how much pressure even the highest EPS can take as a standard 180 gallon glass tank filled with water can weigh almost a ton. Largest glass aquarium I ever owned was 240gal.

Joined 2020
There's always a 'war' between EPS and XPS producers, as to which is better for the construction industry, (and packaging). EPS and XPS has two different methods of production, and the way it reacts to the continuous force placed on the larger surface. EPS simply 'sinks' when the force is higher, so used against soil heave situations under foundations and foundation slabs. XPS cannot be used there. All EPS packaging is either 75 or 100. Packaging is for short time usage. EPS75 has much more 'air' trapped inside, than EPS300, so could have less tunnel effect. But, it would be quite hard to find less than 25mm EPS300, and that's quite expensive.

Anyway, if one is quite adamant in sticking an exciter behind a panel, why not try PP5 panels, or Correx? They are quite thin, has corrugated inside and environment friendly. Tri-pack, for example, is edge-sealed, but of course has trapped air inside it. There would be a tunnel effect, but much slighter than in EPS. You can even apply for a sample. You can find those packaging at most groceries backyards. :)

Last edited:
There's always a 'war' between EPS and XPS producers, as to which is better for the construction industry, (and packaging). EPS and XPS has two different methods of production, and the way it reacts to the continuous force placed on the larger surface. EPS simply 'sinks' when the force is higher, so used against soil heave situations under foundations and foundation slabs. XPS cannot be used there. All EPS packaging is either 75 or 100. Packaging is for short time usage. EPS75 has much more 'air' trapped inside, than EPS300, so could have less tunnel effect. But, it would be quite hard to find less than 25mm EPS300, and that's quite expensive.

Anyway, if one is quite adamant in sticking an exciter behind a panel, why not try PP5 panels, or Correx? They are quite thin, has corrugated inside and environment friendly. Tri-pack, for example, is edge-sealed, but of course has trapped air inside it. There would be a tunnel effect, but much slighter than in EPS. You can even apply for a sample. You can find those packaging at most groceries backyards. :)
For DML I prefer EPS over XPS for its warmer tones.

I havent tried the pp5 but I have tried correx. Correx is similar to thick corrugated cardboard but made of plastic. I didnt care for the sound as its plastic is on the softer side so they lack the higher frequencies.

Thats the problem right there as rubbish bins are full of "LOW GRADE" EPS.
I have made 10mm low grade EPS panels found in rubbish bins , and posted recordings, pictures, and responses.
When coated with 50x 50 mix of pva the panel becomes much stiffer and stayed very , very light.
I was very surprised how similar in sound to the higher grades they sounded.
It became hard to tell the difference, especially on a recording.
I might even prefer the lighter lower grades, especially for the smaller panels.
They also do not have the hard skin of the higher grades, so no sanding needed.
Steve.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2020
For DML I prefer EPS over XPS for its warmer tones.

I havent tried the pp5 but I have tried correx. Correx is similar to thick corrugated cardboard but made of plastic. I didnt care for the sound as its plastic is on the softer side so they lack the higher frequencies.
Correx is just a brand name, but it is also PP5, that is, lightweight and rigid twin wall polypropylene sheet. Polypropylene is made out of carbon and hydrogen, and is not plastic, so can't give a 'plastic' sound. :)
By the way, sound you get depends on the quality of the exciter you have. A tiny motor won't have that much quality.

I have made 10mm low grade EPS panels found in rubbish bins , and posted recordings, pictures, and responses.
When coated with 50x 50 mix of pva the panel becomes much stiffer and stayed very , very light.
I was very surprised how similar in sound to the higher grades they sounded.
It became hard to tell the difference, especially on a recording.
I might even prefer the lighter lower grades, especially for the smaller panels.
They also do not have the hard skin of the higher grades, so no sanding needed.
Steve.
I also have made 10-12mm low grade EPS panels found in rubbish bins coated with 50/50 mix of pva/water.

I built 2 pairs of identical DML panels the only difference is the grade of EPS. Although they do sound similar doing a side by side A/B comparisons the low grade EPS just lacks the highest frequency response and clarity that the higher grades of EPS produce.

The lower grades of EPS have a tad bit more of volume/spl output. The denser the EPS becomes the less output as there are compromises to higher/denser grades of EPS.

Last edited: