A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
Instead, here's something much more interesting from 1929!
Arcophon 3 made in 1929 by Telefunken.
Arcophon >> Arc-o-phon

and, here is Paddock's patent image in March 1998.
Paddock patent in march 1998.png

Anyway, both are interesting, as they are curved DMLs. Only the similarity is uncanny, even after 69 years!
Most probably the guy, who did the youtube video changed the arcs with newer materials. He says installation.
And, here's a video of another Arcophon 3 of 1926 with original arcs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Few more images of insides of an Arcophon, the 1924-1929 folded panel DML.

Arcophon-Spule-9.jpg
Arcophon-Spule-11.jpg

A point transfer of sound to the edge of the folded curved panel. The U-magnet is below the central line, and the coil is above the end of U-magnet. The sound transfer point is on the bottom plane of the coil. Wish I could find some technical info on this intriguing vintage machine. A Linny before Haddock was born!

Sorry, I have a problem that I can't solve
I bought the new dayton exciters those with the plastic support that allows it to be screwed to the exciter, the problem is that the adhesive system is very resistant but when I screw the exciter to its support at low volume I hear a strong rubbing and croaking due that goes away or gets worse I put the vibrating plate vertically if I touch the wires which are very soft the body of the exciter moves slightly and it starts to croak, I don't understand how to stabilize it
Can you take a picture to see if you have exciter sag .
The wires can cause the exciter to be out of balance at low frequencies if freely mounted.
Does turning the panel upside down change the sound of rubbing?
Steve.

Chdsl.
The paper diaphragm in the pictures, looks very new to me ?
Damp conditions in lofts and sheds are usually the most damaging things for old cone paper speakers and the like.
I should think that the exciter armature moves very little and may even move up and down instead of back and forth?
Steve.

Chdsl.
The paper diaphragm in the pictures, looks very new to me ?
Damp conditions in lofts and sheds are usually the most damaging things for old cone paper speakers and the like.
I should think that the exciter armature moves very little and may even move up and down instead of back and forth?
Steve.
Good question Steve.
For now from the pictures, I can't figure out out this exciter is working, what is it architecture.
@chdsl : from the data you are collecting, can you make a schematic showing how the Arcophon motor act?

Puoi fare una foto per vedere se hai l'abbassamento dell'eccitatore.
I fili possono causare uno sbilanciamento dell'eccitatore alle basse frequenze se montato liberamente.
Capovolgere il pannello cambia il suono dello sfregamento?
Steve.
Scusate la qualità del video ma dovevo farlo io, il tono che ho applicato è 50Hz per evidenziare il problema
come puoi vedere ci sono 4 adattatori per gli eccitatori
uno di questi è agganciato al pannello in carbonio sia con l'adesivo che con le viti, quello che vedete nel video è solo con l'adesivo ma il risultato non cambia, il problema sembra essere nella parte posteriore
sul corpo del magnete e sulla sospensione dell'eccitatore ho utilizzato cavi molto morbidi. Quando metto la cornice sulle gambe in orizzontale va sempre bene ma se la metto in verticale iniziano i problemi, se la inclinazione anche solo di pochi gradi torna tutto perfetto. Ho sempre pensato che fosse il peso del cavo, ma in questo caso sono morbidissimi e poi li ho tenuti delicatamente in mano.
Se premo leggermente sul centro del magnete molto leggermente tutto torna normale, il problema è che non così proprio come risolversi

Puoi fare una foto per vedere se hai l'abbassamento dell'eccitatore.
I fili possono causare uno sbilanciamento dell'eccitatore alle basse frequenze se montato liberamente.
Capovolgere il pannello cambia il suono dello sfregamento?
Steve.

Scusate la qualità del video ma dovevo farlo io, il tono che ho applicato è 50Hz per evidenziare il problema
uno di questi è agganciato al pannello in carbonio sia con l'adesivo che con le viti, quello che vedete nel video è solo con l'adesivo ma il risultato non cambia, il problema sembra essere nella parte posteriore
sul corpo del magnete e sulla sospensione dell'eccitatore ho utilizzato cavi molto morbidi. Quando metto la cornice sulle gambe in orizzontale va sempre bene ma se la metto in verticale iniziano i problemi, se la inclinazione anche solo di pochi gradi torna tutto perfetto. Ho sempre pensato che fosse il peso del cavo, ma in questo caso sono morbidissimi e poi li ho tenuti delicatamente in mano.
Se premo leggermente sul centro del magnete molto leggermente tutto torna normale, il problema è che non così proprio come risolversi
View attachment 1120156
I don't see the uploaded video here, maybe if you download it you can see it

Joined 2020
Good question Steve.
For now from the pictures, I can't figure out out this exciter is working, what is it architecture.
@chdsl : from the data you are collecting, can you make a schematic showing how the Arcophon motor act?
I can't either, so I am still searching for details. The steel structure is too stiff to vibrate, and at 180 degrees to the magnet. The steel spike reminds me of the gramophone needle.

The 2nd video in #7,601 shows another working speaker, but only the front. The bent panel is fixed stiff along the perimeter. I have never seen one. Also, I was so surprised finding this Arcophon speakers in the internet. Well, the sound waves travelling in a panel, and curving even amplifies it was there all the time in the past, even before the cone speaker was 'found', even before Haddock or the French guy were born. Their 'invention' could be the bottom part of the transducer, rather than the top part, that is, the bent curved panel, membrane. Linaeum simply died, and Rubanoide didn't even make it commercially.

By the way, violins, guitars, pianos have resonance boxes and the sound get's amplified in/through the panels they have, sort of a distributed mode. And, no one is pushing any air. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 1120156
I don't remember speaking or righting in a (to me) foreign language 😃
More talents that I didn't know I had.
Steve.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I'll add more I'm not sure if you see the first one
You do seem to have rather a lot hanging off of the side of the exciter.
You need to check where the noise is coming from.
I usually use flexible tubing similar to a stethoscope to pinpoint the exact sound origin.
It sounds like you are putting in a fairly hefty low frequency signal.
This in itself could be the problem?
Steve.

yes I put 50 hz but it does it on everything and you can hear it more at very low volume, the problem is that I really don't know how to solve it, I also tried to connect with a short wire from the contact and then fix a clamp to prevent the long cables from they bent the exciter, but that's not the problem the problem is the body of the exciter bends easily and the only way it gets is if I put the panel face down. In that way the weight of the exciter keeps it stable otherwise I can't find a solution

If the contact with the panel is not perfect you could get buzzing.
This happens if the foot is coming away from the coil former.
But it could be the screwable attachment is loose in some way.
It could be warped, you could try a thin layer of bluetack or double sided tape between the panel and screwable attachment.
The screw attachment could be loose or not properly aligned.
You need to find out if other people have had the same problem with these new mountings.
Steve.

I also tried the screws and the problem remains, to tell the truth even with other directly connected exciters I had the same problem, I thought they were the heavy cables with this screw system there is no possibility of slipping, therefore between the screw adapter and carbon is screwed so it can't slip
between exciter and adapter are tight so I assume well adherent. I also thought that the carbon surface did not allow good adhesion but now it is screwed with two screws it cannot slip, and then I repeat the problem seems right from behind the exciter

pixel1,
Have you tried calling PE about the problem? It could be that the exciters are bad from supply and they will send you replacements. Also, their tech department may give you some info on how to solve the problem if they don't think it is a manufacturing defect.

Reactions: 1 user