A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

L'adozione da parte dei produttori di produrre pannelli dml di qualità è stata a dir poco deludente.
Do la colpa a NXT (a torto oa ragione) per non aver prodotto il pannello di alta qualità per cominciare, invece hanno venduto licenze, ed erano principalmente usati come giocattoli.
E anche adesso sono ancora considerati tali!
Una totale mancanza di comprensione di come funzionano è un grosso problema, per quanto riguarda gli audiofili dml è solo rottura del cono e distorsione !!!
Quando vado a uno spettacolo audio, il modo più rapido per svuotare una stanza è menzionare che uso dml.
Le persone improvvisamente iniziano a muoversi all'indietro verso la porta, come se avessi appena rotto il vento !!!
Il che è molto possibile, ora sto invecchiando
FANTASTIC

Pixel1.
Apart from fantastic and NXT,I did not understand any of that post:D

I had a long look through this thread and managed to find a early mp4 recording I made .
It was while I was experimenting with recording from microphones,so not the best I can now do.
So if you look on page 202 post 2017 hopefully you can play the mp4 (which I converted using VLC) and get an impression of the sound of a ply and hardboard panel.
Supposedly we are going to get a few days of sunshine:eek: and thought I might take the smaller (3x2ft )ply panels outside into the garden (wife and neighbours permitting) and record them and see how they sound near field and at about 15m or so?
Is there any kind of music that you would like to hear?
Steve.

I would like to hear something not particularly heavy rock but that has a good part of the drums even with fast tempos and feel good snare drum and hi-hat to understand if they can keep a good definition. can you do if you can vary the distances from the speakers and also left and right. thank you

Can you translate your post 2823?

As it happens at the moment I am in the kitchen recording the panels hooked up to my cheep Sony dav s550 ,max output about 10 watts max.
I've turned the sub down as low as possible, but I'm afraid the hf rolls off very early on the Sony player.
But as the microphones only go up to about 10k I suppose it is a double whammy!
It gives the music a bit of a mellow sound.
I will post a picture of the setup.
Steve.

Attachments

• 2021-03-27 two 90x60cm ply panels kitchen .mp4
    6.5 MB
Pics of ply

The ply panels propped up on chairs leaning on the book case in my kitchen.
Not at its best ,but I just wanted to know if it would go loud enough.
My wife complained that it was too loud ,and what about the neighbours?
I informed her that this is nothing,wait until I set it up outside with a proper amp and player!!!!:D
it didn't go down well:eek:
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20210327_152959_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210327_152959_hdr.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 256
The panel on the left was an experimental panel that I never finished,but it matches the framed panel in how loud it can go and sound.
I didn't want to lug one of the 6ft panels around.
I also recorded this before I read your last post.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_20210327_163204_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210327_163204_hdr.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 246
If anyone thinks this discussion should be on the dml for pro use thread,please say ,I've no problem with moving.
My framed ply panel was designed for my room ,but thought it might be better suited for pro use for various reasons.
Seeing how loud the panels can go has got me a little worried about my neighbours:rolleyes:
Not sure how that's going to go?
Steve.

Thank you for all the info you give.
I don't like systems you have fi and I only deal with very concrete systems without the exaggerations of amateur systems.
I believe that if this technology has a qualitative foundation at its base it could be partly decisive for logistics and things like that, let's remember that the most important thing is beyond quality and power is size and weight. Having said that I am concerned that companies like tectonic have not been successful, which makes me think they have been opposed or the system is not working for some reason.
Will achieving uniform, long throw sound distribution always be possible with this system? if yes it would be great, ok the system works in a completely different way than the pressure of a traditional cone so you need a smaller exciter, but what if I have to cover huge spaces and a distance of over 100 meters, for now it is fun to think that the system can work and having never heard this system live I want to wait for the arrival of the exciters and take away this whim

Pixels.
In a way you have answered your own question regarding the progress of dml.
Dml has been around for many years now.but even you are only just starting to look into them.
When dml was first announced as this fantastic new technology, it practicality died a death.
Nobody seemed to have believe it worked ,it is a joke and only good for toys or maybe a small computer speaker.
Tectonic seem to have good products but I would think it very difficult for them to change peoples ideas and prejudices.
There seems to be a lot of exciters being sold,but where are all these fantastic new panels and materials?
I personally prefer the sound of eps, it has a very dynamic sound very similar to horn loading.
But i can't see them being used out side in windy conditions.
I was hoping to take my ply panel outside today, but it is far too windy ,they would be blown all over the place.

I must mention that the hardboard panel I mentioned earlier is in fact 3mm mdf .
I believe that the mdf could be a better material than the ply as it has better self damping,but with a similar performance.
Just a thought.
Steve.

yes it is as you say, but it could be that tectonic is not sufficiently inserted in a pro market, for this reason it is less credible than the classic pro companies. managed to be successful.
The fact is that I have the feeling based largely on your positive judgments of the optimum sound quality, I am concerned only with how much pressure you can create with a normal acceptable number of panels. At the moment it is only an impression, for this I need to prove something and therefore I took the most powerful exciters that I was able to find thanks to you.But just to be clear and hear your opinion I ask you a specific question
Do these speakers fully satisfy you? would you replace normal speakers with these for quality?

Steve
The MDF suggestion is an interesting one. It can be had in 2mm thickness. It's more dense than the poplar plywood I use, but 2mm thickness may help. As far as self-damping is concerned, I've been mulling over poplar ply backed with 2mm polystyrene wall insulation with a small uncovered area for the exciter to be attached to the plywood.

I did try 25mm high density EPS, but didn't like it as my 565mm x 400mm mid/treble units.

With some jiggery pokery with the miniDSP 2x4 HD, I now get a reasonably flat response from around 35hz to 20khz. With other electronics changes, (eliminating the preamp and relying on the master volume control of the miniDSP), the system is pretty ruthless with poor recordings and especially poor remastering.

Simon.

Pixels.
This recording is in my kitchen again, but with a small digital amp.
I was hoping to use an amp with bass and treble to eq the response, but the spider on the exciter on the panel on the left in the photo decided to come off.
And so was buzzing about :( so no large amounts of LF are possible.
So I recorded this instead.
Ply is not my favourite material but maybe with some restrictions it could be made to work.
Xo the low would make a big difference and stop some of low end colorations .
I might do a recording in my room and see if I can get a better sounding performance?
Steve.

Attachments

• 2021-03-28 ply panels very loud.mp4
    2.8 MB
Lordtarquin.
25mm HD eps is a little thick for such a small panel.
I think 10mm would be OK , zigdar on nxt rubbish forum used a massive, 10mm 8ft HD panel, if I remember rightly?
I used a 7x2.5ft 25mm 70grade EPS ,drum solos were amazing!!!! Frightening would be a better disruption.
Steve.

Pixel1.
Have you listened to my EPS panel recordings on page 220 of this site.
You should listen to these recordings on headphones ,with the volume turned up loud ,as this is how the music was played.
I know the recordings don't sound as if they were recorded at high volume,but it shows how little distortion is being produced at such high levels.
Steve.