A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Perhaps this also explains why when I borrowed set of Cinemags I found them to be not that impressive compared to the capacitor output.
Nothing is known until you see what is happening. As for the oscilloscope, maybe some of these free programs can be used, I haven't tried it. In order to use it, you need to make some oscilloscope probes. Online signal generators exist, and I used them, they are only limited usually to 22kHz or something like that.

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-oscilloscope-software-windows/

Playing with line transformers is not possible without an oscilloscope and signal generator. For audio needs, cheap Chinese USB oscilloscopes can be used, I use one and I am satisfied (Hantek 6254BD, 4 inputs 250MHz and signal generator 25MHz). Especially since it doesn't take up much space, and it connects to a laptop or PC when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Doede, thank you for the update. I can wait as I need to put more pennies in the Piggy bank! Just wondering what your thoughts are on improving my set up. I have a single board DDDAC with RPI and Kali, output is standard caps. With a limited budget what would you suggest is the next thing to upgrade that will give the biggest sound improvement?

Last edited:
Thanks and this program might be needed later. I was however trying to find a simpler tool for drawing sketches like this one... Sorry for not being more clear about my intentions..

DDDAC 1794 with FiFoPi and WaveIO Power and signals.GIF

I am working very hard to get things up and running again…. Hopefully within days we have some boards available again and in two months things should be more relaxed….

Products are back in stock now. Unfortunately could not hold the price we had stable for many years. These days with crazy semiconductor prices and unavailability of products did not make it easy, but it ended up still moderate bottom line :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
A pity that Brexit made sending something to the UK a bit complicated otherwise i would have offered you to try a pair of Russian K75-10 output capacitors. I never used them in my DDDAC because i am using 4 boards with Sowter but all the other spots i use them they give a nice improvement.
They wont give you more detail but i like the way they sound.
I tried lots of the so called audiophile caps as you can see in the attachment!
Maybe there is someone in the UK that has a pair for you. Postage to the UK will be a few Euro but i am afraid that there will be additional cost for you.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• FOTO MIT CAPS VOOR VS.jpg
    FOTO MIT CAPS VOOR VS.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 126
Hello,
A pity that Brexit made sending something to the UK a bit complicated otherwise i would have offered you to try a pair of Russian K75-10 output capacitors. I never used them in my DDDAC because i am using 4 boards with Sowter but all the other spots i use them they give a nice improvement.
Maybe there is someone in the UK that has a pair for you. Postage to the UK will be a few Euro but i am afraid that there will be additional cost for you.
Greetings, Eduard
Hi Eduard,

you are right, they do sound nice and smooth. I tried them also in speaker filters. Only be careful to not have a lot of them in the whole audio chain, thing can get muddy

Hello,
Greetings, Eduard
Thanks Eduard, I will look in UK and maybe find some, if not I might take up your offer as I don't think it will be too expensive if the caps prices are not very expensive.

Hi,
A small problem I'm not sure what the cause is. My DDDAC four boarder distorts on hi res eg 192/24 thru the SPDIF input. The DAC works perfectly thru USB and I've now connected my streamer direct via i2s so this is no longer mission critical but I'd sort of like to know why.......Any ideas?
Thanks
David

Try another SPDIF coax cable. Check all solder joints and connectors on SPDIF. Try another SPDIF source.

In some DVD players, for example, you can find a polarized electrolytic capacitor at the SPDIF output. I always change that with 100nF polypropylene.

In some CD-DVD players you have a bad transformer for galvanic isolation at the SPDIF output. Some players have very poor SPDIF output, distorted. It can be anything. This is most easily determined with an oscilloscope.

Last edited: