A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Anyone know how to connect the I2S signal (HDMI cable) from a DDU like the Gustard U18 to a DDDAC mainboard I2S 10-pin input?
This would bypass the WaveIO USB-to-I2S board.
Hi, For the longest time, I have been posting the same question in several threads/forums but no one was able to give me a straight answer for it or at least one that I could understand.

I have figured that all we need to get the U18/other DDC's to work with DDDAC is to get a HDMI to I2S converter. You take the I2S output from the U18 and feed that in via a standard HDMI cable to this HDMI-I2S converter and take out the i2s outputs and feed it directly to the DDDAC or the FifoPi/ReclockPi circuit.

One such product is :

IAN CANADA HDMIpi Receiver HDMI to I2S / DSD / DoP​

Andrea Mori also offers a similar HDMI receiver.

Hope this helps.

Sure DD, I am also yet to try this myself but theoretically, this was the best I could figure out. Specially because the i2s signal goes directly into the Fifopi, also designed by Ian, who has also designed the hdmi receiver. Hence I figured, it may be worthwhile to try it. This board does not cost much anyway….

Hi folks. After using the WaveIO usb for years with Pure Music on a Mac mini I have decided to try RPI4 with an Allo Digione and Volumio as an spdif source. I could not get it to resample to 176khz. However 192khz works without issue. Am I correct in remembering tht there is some peculiarity with the SPDIF circuitry that causes this? I am mostly playing from a usb HD library. I tried the usb directly from the RPI4 through a W4S recovery usb reclocker. I think the spdif through the Digione sounds better. When I get time i will compare the Mac mini and Pure music usb combo to the RPi Digione and volumio setup. The reason for this change is to avoid purchasing a new Mac Mini and software. Pure Music has been neglected and no new versions have been released for years. It is not compatible with the new apple silicone which is a big deterrent to me. Also it uses Apple remote as a UI. Volumio IOS App is much more responsive and reliable than the slow and glitchy PM / Apple remote combination. I may go down the road to a RPI I2S setup at some point but that seems to still be under developement with fifo’s and super clocks being debated, battery Power Supplies etc.

Thank You Doede and Alabama978. I would like to try a I2S implementation. There has been a lot of experimentation with different clocks, power supplies and buffers etc and it is difficult to figure out how to proceed. That would also tie the RPI to the dddac. Right now it is hard to find rpi4 at a reasonable price due to scarcity. Once I can capture a second one I would then be able to dedicate one to dddac while the second can be used elsewhere in the home.
All of this is part of modernizing the home data and audio infrastructure to include a NAS for music library serving and new Apple hardware to replace ageing (10+ yrs) and failing Mac mini computers/HDs we currently have. By using RPI in music server only applications it drops a Mac mini from the hardware list. I was not prepared for how tiny the RPi is. Second surprise was the responsiveness of the Volumio IOS App. Music starts and stops instantly in response to inputs. I was putting up with a lot of UI issues with Pure Music. It’s a shame that Channel D has more or less abandoned Pure Music and has concentrated it’s resources on the phono preamp A/D converter side of their business. Time for me to move on. Having a DIY aspect in the new system is an added bonus.
Cheers
Brian

Bfpca,
IMHO you should ignore all the controversy about clocks or battery supplies. Put it in perspective. WaveIO likely uses NDK SDA clocks. You can use the same in FIFO. At some point you have the option if you choose to experiment with better clocks, or just remain content with what you have. Same goes for expensive battery power supplies.

Agree with wlowes…. Just start simple and walk the path of upgrading slowly…. Stop at several points to let it sink in. So you know what the improvements are (worth)

my preferred path… Fifopi with relative standard power supplies and standard clocks
Accusilicon clocks
Neutron clocks the cheaper ones
Andrea clocks if you can find them
Now start using ultra caps batteries etc.

just my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. FWIW I started with WaveIO and loved it. But to get out of USB and into I2S and clock rolling went to FifoPi.
First with my best effort linear PSs with separate supplies to each consumer.
NDK > NDK SDA > Andrea Gen1 > Andrea 5MHz (accusilicon sounds like a great price performer)
FifoPi > added ReclockPi > added SinePi
Last added small 6$ 1.5F 5V supercap to each digital supply.
Not the ultimate but more than good enough. I have no desire to take it further even though I understand it could be improved.

WaveIO likely uses NDK SDA clocks.
It does not in its standard form. It uses SD flavour.

I sent 2 cards to Lucian for SD -> SDA upgrade. It was a bit pricey, but the result was very good; worth the price (and time... round trip Australia <-> Romania)

I have moved to May DAC, but I still have a full-blown DDDAC with (one) WaveIO card. The second WaveIO card (also with an SDA crystal oscillator) was never used. If someone is interested, send me a PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Doede and wlowes. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I am currently doing a lot of travelling for family reasons and am having trouble finding time to work on my digital front end. I hope to invest some $$ and time in the DDDAC this fall with more dac boards and an upgrade to I2S.

Reactions: 1 users
I posted this in Swap Meet but I think I might have more luck here. Sorry if this is not allowed.

Does anyone in the UK have a well-built DDDAC they would be willing to sell? Preferably with four of the current boards. I really only need SPDIF input. Another option is if someone would be willing to build one to my spec. I'm happy to buy the parts.