A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for those words, I think I'll just stick with Doede's PSU boards, and look at transformers more.

If I took the rectifier off the board to a case mounted diode bridge, does the other heatsink need upgrading as well if I up the transformer VA? I'm looking at using 100vA transformers for example.

I use PHY fuses that are quite a lot better than the standard glass fuses, and I expect that there are even better, and more costly, fuses around.
Sorry to drag fuse talk up again, but what are PHY fuses? I've never heard of them and Google's not helping much either.
In my cd player project I used resettable polyfuses like these in place of glass fuses 5x RESETTABLE FUSE POLYFUSE, PTC, RADIAL 60V, ROHS Compliant 900mA-2.5A | eBay
Would something like that be suitable here?
Thanks, James

Thanks for those words, I think I'll just stick with Doede's PSU boards, and look at transformers more.

If I took the rectifier off the board to a case mounted diode bridge, does the other heatsink need upgrading as well if I up the transformer VA? I'm looking at using 100vA transformers for example.

The rectifier is OK where it is now. It is rated at 20A 200V and only gets warm running 8 stacks.
I changed the heat sink to a 2.9 C/W in case though.

The device that needs more heat sinking is the TIP122 transistor. I have it running at 55ºC with an extra 2.9 C/W heat sink attached to the original one. This would benefit from off board mounting if you cannot get the heat sink size on the board.

I am going to build a larger heatsink for it as I would like it to run cooler than 55ºC as I leave it switched on permanently.

I bet, if you arrange a A/B blind test with and without the fairy tale fuse, you will not be able to hear any difference! Your mind tells you, it's certainly better because you expect this!

If you do a double blind test against the DDDAC v an iPod you would not tell the difference either but over a long term test, no contest.

DBT `s are a perfect way to dumb down any differences, it`s a bit like measuring high impedance circuits with a 1000 ohm per volt meter ....

I bet, if you arrange a A/B blind test with and without the fairy tale fuse, you will not be able to hear any difference! Your mind tells you, it's certainly better because you expect this!

I'll take your bet! What do you have to offer if I win?
The difference of this fuse can easily be heard by even not the most experienced listener.

I am one of those so-called "fools" who has build a seperate power group and wiring only for audio.
It there is one thing I have learned in my audio life it is this: an amplifier is not more than a modulated power supply. So the power supply means EVERYTHING in audio!

Now on topic again ;)

My listening tests with the shunt regulated motherboard: the sound is a tad bit more snappy in comparison to the unregulated board. Spdif in with a philips cd-pro drive is also very good but not on the level of the streamers, it is a nice addition though.

I also connected the raspberry pi with I2S directly to the dac. This sounds very nice, the highs are more detailed and spacing seems a bit better.
I use an album of Joni Mitchell, Blue, to check jitter; as the voice of Joni is high and thin you can easily hear jitter artifacts on this recording. This sounded very clear and clean through the I2S connected pi so jitter is already low.

A big thanks to Palmito for pointing me to this development, elsewhere on this forum Russ White is designing a cape with high precicion clocks to use for a beagle bone black computer. This is very exciting and, as far as I can see at this point, the last step to a real bit perfect and jitter less streaming method. Definitely better than using any type of PC through an USB board.

Together with the dddac (on topic again Doede :D ) this will be a combination that will be one of the very best available!

Regards,

Last edited:
HI SuperSurfer. Because of this article:

Tracking down noise sources on a Raspberry Pi | Crazy Audio

I posted this as my listening impressions (in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...aspberry-pi-into-audiophile-audio-player.html , raspyfi was morphed into volumio by the author, this is the original raspyfi thread):
I got the dongle today and listened for about three hours alternating between wifi only and ethernet only. I think the wifi only does sound cleaner and quieter, maybe even a tad more detailed. However, I had read the article on the ethernet noise so my hearing may be biased based on what I read. It's very diffiiicult to do double blind tests when you are the person editing the network config file...

One thing was that towards the end of the first round of wifi listening I started getting dropouts. I edited volumio's settings and doubled the audio buffer size to 4096 and increased to 30% the buffer before play. I didn't get any more dropouts for the rest of the listening session. The music is all 44 ripped cds (flacs). I was also alone at home so the wireless' bandwidth was all available.

I wonder if people who play higher rez files on busy wireless network will be able to maintain the music stream without interruptions... I will play with it a bit more.
I used this $10 dongle: EDIMAX EW-7811Un USB 2.0 Wireless nano Adapter (I didn't link back to ebay as most times the ebay links don't work in diyaudio, search ebay with that title to find it).