A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It seems very clearly that the Raspberry is not a device aimed at the serious audiophile.
Most people go for gimmicks and then realize they got a bunch of features they will not use and a going downhill in sound quality. They need to spend additional cash to make the new one sound even close to the old one.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just kind of " compose" an audiophile Raspberry board with just the functions we need so it will not create to much garbage disturbing nearby circuitry. It can be used with a reduced power supply which will have an easier task.
But there no money to be made with such boards.
I know that there is a Dutch brand which works with a FPGA board and kind of started from the beginning to make something that only does what we need. I don't need and i don't want to see 50 coloured leds when i lift the cover. This vast collection of lights does not prevent people from ending up with a non functional unit.
Probably most of the problems occur because there are just to many choices. What if it is only possible to order a kind of personal that will work with only Roon for instance.
Everyone will still have his own favourite but that judgement could be based upon Roon being used as intended and another one completely wrong. AND would you trust a judgement by someone who solders his caps as being shown one day ago? He should have wondered what he just has done and then also selling it. Suppose you would buy a diy tube amp from this person?
It shows again that people are not willing to invest time in reading manuals or learn some basic skills or is it just not seeing the necessity of proper tools?
I am still looking for a digital audio for dummies without being written to boost sales!
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
We are so lucky that Doede is already retired and does not need us buying his creations to allow him to buy his daily bread in an old style bakery and not at Aldi.
We don't need updated boards every 3 months. When there is a serious improvement to be made because of revolutionary new chip just being made Doede will take his time and make it worthwhile waiting.
But most people here having a kind of business are purely money driven.
I remember 40 years ago a salesman in a real brick and mortar shop ( nothin else back then!) told me no need to replace an amp you bought two years ago because you just bought new speakers buy music which is completely new to you it will give you more pleasure than a new amp.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Screenshot_2024-01-11-00-48-03-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg Hello, the picture i was referring to was posted in another thread. But as long as we trust opinions from people who think they just did a proper soldering job we have a long way to go. Greetings, Eduard
IMG_20240108_233949.jpg

I wanted to add an external led on my the 12v psu for the DDDAC mainboard. Stupidly I did this with the power on. The fuse blew on the 12V board.

No sound out of the DDDAC anymore. Did the DDDAC die because of the short-circuit? Or just the regulators on the mainboard?

Replaced the fuse and the psu is up and running. But it looks like the DAC is not working...i.e. not drawing current...because the heatsinks remain cold.

Last edited:
Oopssss, not a good start in the new year Bas. Best is to measure if the 12 Volt is arriving at the top of the DAC board Stack? Than check if 10 volt is available? And thirdly, check if the 5 volt regulator (the LF50) is really giving out 5 Volt…. That should deduct if and where the error is. If all is fine, check if the 8 volt is present

• Thank You
That is indeed way too much, but Regulators should not die at 23 volt…. Puzzling… can you just supply the DAC with 12 volt from something else and measure again at t the points i suggested ? Also the 3.3 volt regulator on the DAC module(s)

but if the psu is outputting 23 volts, that would suggest a defect as well. Probably the TIP122 comes under suspicion. All the rest is less endangered … Easy repair and 1st check I would say