A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

It's either I2S (WaveIO) or SPDif, no difference. Bitrate (44.1 or 192) also makes no difference. As long as there's digital connection/stream (music playing or on pause) it's there.
If it's DACs working...i'm happy for them, but is there any way to get rid of it? It's quite a lot of noise. I assembled this DAC for a friend and he complained about the hiss right away so i began to search for a problem but haven't found anything and haven't had an idea that this could be normal under any circumstances :eek:

Does adding more decks can help to attenuate it at least? If output doubles and noise remain at the same level it won't be as noticeable at least.
The WaveIO shouldn't be a problem, as it does not output an I2S signal when muted afaik. I don't know about the onboard SPDIF, but it seems there is something wrong on the DDDAC board.

The Salas shunt 1.1 (a.k.a. "BiB") (judging by the pic that was posted) should be very stable, as long as the current that is demanded of it does not increase past the max CCS current (that is set by a resistor on the BiB). When the load asks for more current than the max set, the output voltage will drop. But testing with a light load (like 50mA) versus a heavy load (say 450mA) should make no change to the output voltage, as long as the CCS is set to a current over ~500mA.

But it appears that in this case the BiB is outputting 20V to the DAC board.. there's something wrong here.

When I attach a dummy load (that should be mimicking the load of the main board and dac) it outputs 12.2v, reattach the dac and it jumps to 20+v, almost as though the dac offers no load?

I've repeated this 3 times with the same result, I still get the same dc voltage across the output pins so I'm stumped.

We are really going OT here, but it looks like there's something wrong with your Salas reg. As long as you keep the sense wires properly connected, its voltage output should be the same regardless of the load that is connected. Its output should be constant, even with no load connected. It should definitely not be going up to 20V.

Btw, is the dac board OK with 20 volts? If not, something may have been damaged on the dac board.

Like mbrennwa said, you should do some testing with a known good PS.

I'm very ordinary DIY person. Thanks for any advice.

I am pretty sure something is not right with the digital source selector switch. Looking at the DDDAC block diagram, the SPDIF is converted to I2S and then takes the same path as the signal that comes from the I2S input on the DDDAC board. Are you sure the switch works ok, and you set it to the right position? Otherwise, the source select chip on the DDDAC board might be semi-broken, but I believe that's unlikely.

I am pretty sure something is not right with the digital source selector switch. Looking at the DDDAC block diagram, the SPDIF is converted to I2S and then takes the same path as the signal that comes from the I2S input on the DDDAC board. Are you sure the switch works ok, and you set it to the right position? Otherwise, the source select chip on the DDDAC board might be semi-broken, but I believe that's unlikely.

This is exactly the way to do it. Put the I2s signal on the DAC input ( what is your source by the way? Is it connected ok? ) and measure the signals before and after the selector chip. Than you know....

If you are not electronics afine enough to do this, check if you have friends who can do this.

Alternatively you can send the DAC to me for test / repair. I do this sometimes for people who got stuck. I charge only 50 euros for this.

It's either I2S (WaveIO) or SPDif, no difference. Bitrate (44.1 or 192) also makes no difference. As long as there's digital connection/stream (music playing or on pause) it's there.
If it's DACs working...i'm happy for them, but is there any way to get rid of it? It's quite a lot of noise. I assembled this DAC for a friend and he complained about the hiss right away so i began to search for a problem but haven't found anything and haven't had an idea that this could be normal under any circumstances :eek:

Does adding more decks can help to attenuate it at least? If output doubles and noise remain at the same level it won't be as noticeable at least.

Same answer as below. It is very unclear if your DAC build is within normal specs or not. I do not believe so, but I also know that not everyone has the right gear or set up to do meaningful tests to go sure and have a diagnose what is the cause. On 44.1 there is hiss if you connect the DAC without any volume control to a high gain amplifier. When you than start the music at 0dB you will blow your speakers. So consequently digital volume control is ( well, must be ) used. This is not the way to do high end Audio of course. But you said all other frequencies does it as well, and that should not be the case. You can send it to me for test if you want.

Not the first Kali causing trouble...
Well actually folk have had issues connecting them up in non standard applications but none have been described as broken. And as any readers of this thread know there is a myriad of ways to damage sensitive electronics. The Kali is a great product sold at a great price. For the record I have no commercial ties with the product. I will shortly be comparing a Kali reclocker to Ian's buffer / reclocker set up and reckon we are in for a few surprises

Hello all,

I have a problem with my DDDAC1794. Actually probably I don't but I thought I'd throw this open as someone here may know how it can be sorted .

Okay so I built the DAC a few years back and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I use it sporadically (I'm a vinyl sort of bloke) and keep it powered off. I have a comp running Windows 7 and have foobar.

This is how I remember the sequence of events. I wanted to use it yesterday but after powering it up I could get no lights to work. I fiddled about with it and re-installed the latest driver I had (V2.23.0) and the DAC came to life. To all intents and purposes it looked fine however there was no sound. I have checked W7 and it all looks fine, everything is 100% volume and nothing muted and the settings for foo match with those in the guide. The question is have I missed something obvious. Nothing had been changed since the last time I used it - the comp is a stand-alone music pc and as stated previously, rarely used. Any ideas to test if it is a software problem with the PC or if it the DAC itself?