A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

It is not about risk of noise. The noise is there and depending on the whole audio chain, it might be audible. Specially on 44.1 and 48kHz. The C is just filtering above 40 to 50 kHz and again, depending on proceeding equipment it might make the sound more lucid.

It is very situation defendant and it is a simple thing, just try if you like it or not.
Personally I do not use it. Might have to do with transformer output and tube amplifier ....

dwjames,

I use a 5V SPM Belleson on the main board which is also providing power to the WaveIO optical isolation chip and main board LEDs. Maybe the load on your Vreg is too low for stable regulation. Try adding a 330 or 470 ohm resistor across the Main board Vreg to raise the load.
Sorted!
I put a 360R resistor across the output of the 5v regulator on the mainboard and all seems well now. That weird noise and interference is gone. It seems the load of the 74VHCXXX chips isn't enough to ensure good regulation with a cheaper regulator. A nice cheap and effective fix. Thanks again for the help :)

I'm afraid I can only recommend that you avoid ordering any regulators from Tent. After waiting patiently for two and a half months, my regs finally turned up-but they were the wrong ones! 3.3v instead of the 8v ordered. My e mails have been ignored all week.

Life is too short to put up with this travesty of service

dwjames - Great news!
Even a quality Vreg like the Belleson SPM needs to be in the right load range to sound its best.

I'm still interested to know if 5 volts sounds any different from 3.3 volts.
Yes, I'm very pleased. I was getting very confused... I've been listening to it with 5v all today while I worked and it sounds great, but hopefully i can find the time soon to do a proper side by side comparison with a 3.3v reg soon.

Have you had any joy with your latest ccs option?

Yes, I'm very pleased. I was getting very confused... I've been listening to it with 5v all today while I worked and it sounds great, but hopefully i can find the time soon to do a proper side by side comparison with a 3.3v reg soon.

Have you had any joy with your latest ccs option?

Just before any one blows up his DAC ;) ...

The 5 Volt is only to be applied on the I2S bus signals. So the Regulator on the Mainboard.

Do not change the 3,3Volt on the DAC boards to 5 Volt. the PCM1794 will die

Also no change for the WM8804 regulator (for the blue boards), here is already 5 Volt on the I2S bus by the way.

In doubt, check the ciruits you can download from my site

So this what mean?
I would apply I2S from Raspberry diectly to shift register and play 16 bit

Yes, you can wire directly from the rPi out to the i2s of the dddac. Only 4 wires and works very nicely

Just before any one blows up his DAC ;) ...

The 5 Volt is only to be applied on the I2S bus signals. So the Regulator on the Mainboard.

Do not change the 3,3Volt on the DAC boards to 5 Volt. the PCM1794 will die

Also no change for the WM8804 regulator (for the blue boards), here is already 5 Volt on the I2S bus by the way.

In doubt, check the ciruits you can download from my site
Sorry, yes. I have the older red mainboard and have changed the 3.3v mainboard reg for a 5v one. The regs on the dac decks remain at 3.3v and 8v

Sorry I've quote wrong post
What about this?

This has nothing to do with your earlier question. This is how much you have to delay to make right justified out of I2S protocol. As said, read carefully my website, it is all there.

The dac itself plays anything coming in from the I2S bus...
Do I mis your point? If so, please re phrase your question and could you be more specific, what it is you like to understand? Thx.

Tonight I finally got my Acko s03 reclocker board working in between the rPi and the DDDAC. Wow.... I thought this sounded good before, but it's just stepped it up another level. This sounds so real and captivating now. I love it!
Here's a couple of pictures, please excuse the mess....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.