A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Looking at the P / W choice for the Bourns trimmer resistor:
Assuming one was to put it on the board as shown at the beginning of this thread...
From the picture, it appears it would adjust towards the capacitors, not upward, which would be convenient.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/54/3296-52802.pdf

I've completed my Mouser BOM, minus the LED.
Not knowing what I'm really ordering in the way of passive components I selected Dale RN60DxxxxFxxx for the 1/4 watt resistors, but some different values for R10-15 than provided by 6L6 a few posts up. I tried finding the Dale RN55 class Nelson Pass listed in his F4 manual, but only found them in 1/8 watt values.
Panasonic ERX-3FJR47 for the 3W resistors - but only chose them because I already have them in my cart for the PSU.

While it does belong in the Power Supply section... for the power supply caps is it better to go with the audio grade Nichicon 15,000 uf (they have only been in stock one day and are half sold out) or to have more capacitance? Example, at the beginning of this thread 33,000 uf is used. I'll be driving 4 ohm speakers using 4 F4 boards as 2x monoblocks then for next years tax return build a balanced preamp.

Last edited:
On the topic of the 3W resistors, I see many people using the Panasonic ones that Jeff is mentioning. Is there a reason? Does it really matter which brand is used here? I've opted for Vishay 3W resistors...

Jeff, I did find the RN55 1/4 resistors but I myself have opted to use the RN60 mainly because I like how the bigger size looks haha. Once I get home tonight I can dig up the mouser link for them.

I'm also interested in possibly using the Nichicon audio grade caps...

6L6 did mention the RN60 wouldn't fit (in some places, such as near center of board), but I think I understand what he meant by mounting them "Soldier" style. I see Apex Jr has some 18g teflon tubing which would help prevent shorts if I am understanding what he is saying.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Either of the Bourns trimmer pots will work. The only difference is location of the knob.

RN60 get tight, but you can make it work.

RN55 will work perfectly in this circuit -- the RN series is 50% thermally derated, so if they are calling an RN55 a 1/8W resistor, it's actually a 1/4W. They are mil-spec and are built in the next size body.

A CMF55 and RN55 are essentially the same thing, the only real difference being that the RN will always have copper leads, the CMF may have copper or steel.

The Panasonic ERX are used in all the Pass labs and factory Firstwatt amps.

As for capactors, use whatever you can get in enough quantity for both amplifiers. Panasonic are used in the Factory Firstwatt and Pass Labs. The "Audio Grade" Nichicon are certainly interesting, and are worth trying. I really like the Panaonics, I've used them in all my builds.

Is it wise to use these with line level ac voltages?

6JwTWe2.png

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/215/829-290868.pdf

Last edited:
Looking at the P / W choice for the Bourns trimmer resistor:
Assuming one was to put it on the board as shown at the beginning of this thread...
From the picture, it appears it would adjust towards the capacitors, not upward, which would be convenient.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/54/3296-52802.pdf

I've completed my Mouser BOM, minus the LED.
Not knowing what I'm really ordering in the way of passive components I selected Dale RN60DxxxxFxxx for the 1/4 watt resistors, but some different values for R10-15 than provided by 6L6 a few posts up. I tried finding the Dale RN55 class Nelson Pass listed in his F4 manual, but only found them in 1/8 watt values.
Panasonic ERX-3FJR47 for the 3W resistors - but only chose them because I already have them in my cart for the PSU.

While it does belong in the Power Supply section... for the power supply caps is it better to go with the audio grade Nichicon 15,000 uf (they have only been in stock one day and are half sold out) or to have more capacitance? Example, at the beginning of this thread 33,000 uf is used. I'll be driving 4 ohm speakers using 4 F4 boards as 2x monoblocks then for next years tax return build a balanced preamp.
I used the p version pointing up where w pointed points at the caps.

RN60 will fit but they are right next to each other.

Yes it look like on my "work in progress " pcb with all RN60
Not yet cleaned but it be made at finish. Have a nice day :)

Attachments

• F220DE35-27E6-42C1-A4EC-848FC667C03C.JPG
    F220DE35-27E6-42C1-A4EC-848FC667C03C.JPG
    817.6 KB · Views: 541
  • FEEEA789-11F7-492F-8D7A-3E9FF0675A26.JPG
    FEEEA789-11F7-492F-8D7A-3E9FF0675A26.JPG
    630.9 KB · Views: 492
  • 71871532-04EC-47DA-B27E-EB841FD0238C.JPG
    71871532-04EC-47DA-B27E-EB841FD0238C.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Having issues finding the Capacitors for the PSU. All I've been able to come up with is are these, but I'm not sure if the Snap In termination will work or not...

LLS1V223MELC Nichicon | Mouser

The Panasonic T-UP's are at the End of Life apparently? Looks like mouser doesn't have any stock of them left with the correct lead spacing...

Snap-in is what you want. The Panasonics i used are also out of stock but this variant is available, and a bit cheaper than the Nichicons..

ECO-S1VP223DA Panasonic | Mouser

Hi all

A question about the Keratherm / kerafol heat conductive foils for T0247 which exist in several versions :

* the 86/82 Rot as sold by DA Store (2$/pce), difficult to find in Europe
- thermal resistance 0.09 K/W
- thermal conductivity 6.5 W/mK
- http://www.kerafol.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Thermalmanagement/produkte/86_82/Datenblatt_86_82_EN.pdf

* the 70/50 Braun as sold by Conrad is much cheaper (0.4$/pce) http://www.conrad.com/ce/fr/product/180346/Feuille-thermoconductrice-7050-TO-247-025mm-Kerafol-KERATHERM-BRAUN-7050?ref=list
- thermal resistance 0.44 K/W
- thermal conductivity 1.4 W/mK
- http://www.kerafol.com/fileadmin/us...gement/produkte/70_50/Datenblatt_70_50_EN.pdf

So, is the 70/50 good enough for F4 application (I have 3 to build so would be glad to save 60$ on that parts) ? Is there alternatives ?

Kind regards
Jean-Louis

Last edited: