A dive into the past

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mystery device:
With battery power and a touch pad, it probably compares a human, assumed as 0v to *something else* and discovers the differential (and also the location)?
It is mains-powered in fact, mainly because of the power-hungry MAN's-display, but it could as well be battery operated without changing the function
A tracer? A bug sweeper?
No, and no

Instable device:
Flip the op amp to inverting? That's my only guess. Starting with an op-amp and then following it with a complexity doesn't make sense visually. Generally speaking, op-amps are for shortcuts and that one sure didn't. Is it a nesting arrangement or howland?
Apparently, the opamps are not in the signal path, they control bias voltages, and flipping them would result in latchup.
The amp itself seems to be only inverting

Could it be a frequency counter probe?
Not exactly spot on, but almost: just an integration away
Magnetic field probe? Something to check the voltage between user and probe to detect danger?
No, just look closer and think about it

Hint: It is useful for certain fields of electronics, but also for mechanics (and maybe others, weavers perhaps?)

Yet another "fossil": this one is labelled "stabilité marginale", and that is indeed the case: when loaded with 3 ohm, part of the lower half-wave is festooned with VHF oscillation.

Easy to fix apparently: I probably didn't try hard enough the last time, an additional comp cap does the trick.

This one is really wideband: it uses paralleled BDX37's as OP, and it does give results: see the oscillogram (it is a 200KHz triangle, and the apparent defects near the top are not caused by the amp), measured on a 3 ohm load

Attachments

• AmpWB1.jpg
    AmpWB1.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 180
  • AmpWB2.jpg
    AmpWB2.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 179
  • AmpWB3.jpg
    AmpWB3.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 178
Yes, it is a good idea to "formalize" such a device.
I sometimes use a flying cap for a test, but then I have to care about polarity (in some cases), or find a second one, all this discourages use.

When you have a neat little thing always ready, that makes things easier.
I will probably build a pair of them in the coming days.

By default, I build all my test prototypes as DC-coupled, x11 (or x-10) gain blocks, which means they already have the maximum bass extension possible
Your statement is true at the amplifier; however. . .
During the loss of an output cap at a certain bass frequency, whereupon if one is a bit lucky (or stubborn, preferably both) for choosing the capacitance value, and before the loss becomes too severe, the electronic dampening of the woofer will become slightly looser, as if in a larger cabinet, so you can get more bass extension with an ac coupled woofer (when if the cap size is fortunate for a given speaker).

For me, it is typical that the capacitance value is sized for that particular purpose, and in every case it was done for practical benefit of greater bass extension. I have not yet witnessed any exceptions. It worked every time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.