A 5 way DIY

Good one Moondog55

ecky-thump

Interjection (colloquial, Northern England, dialectal) Exclamation of surprise or pleasure.

I thought my sense of humour was unique.. Clearly I was wrong..:).
The Black puddings are here on the front... see pic... Try not to ask any technical details, because there is strong possibility I can't answer them. :):):):)

Attachments

• 20200330_172049.jpg
    20200330_172049.jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Actually I'm wondering how many members caught the subtle pun in your handle.

I'm not sure, I guess it might surprise you to know that it is my real name...;). I'm forced to live under a pseudonym because of it..;). It was a very interesting build, all done on a budget, the goal was to spend less than it would cost for half decent pair of floor standers but with better sound, The sense of humor was a prerequisite for his build. The result is better than I expected, now its all done Ill be asking questions trying to ascertain how this happened ? was it the endless hours of research or did I just jag it...

Thankyou..Yes I am looking forward to testing in a more scientific way rather than trusting what it is I hear through my also old ears, but then you have to ask the question, who have I built them for, who's benefit?..Well of course its my benefit, though the neighbors might disagree..:rolleyes:. I too have only listened to Wilsons once, although unlike your kind self, I was impressed . If a pair of speakers looks great your already primed assume they sound great and Wilsons usually do look great "to my eye" hence the inspiration. That being said, If money wasn't a problem then yes pick me Ill have 4 of them... ;)

Last edited:
This is the x/over, as you can see in the image taken during construction, its a simplistic approach with the elements arranged vertically left to right ,bass, lo mid, mid, high mid, tweet. The drivers connected internally via the studs in the compartment, and the feeds in through airtight grommets in the bottom, the only component not on the board is the tweeters inductor, that resides in the tweeter module actual. The inverted drivers are inverted inside the cabinets, As mentioned earlier in the thread the resistors on bass and low mid were there to protect my previous feeble amp from the sub 4ohm load, now bypassed. I'm not spoilt for choice where I live so what could be sourced locally is what I used, the inductors are hand wound and there is no cross talk between them that I could hear using the dummy load and headphone approach. Whilst the crossovers work quite well I'm certain there is always room for improvement with invoking the rule of diminishing returns. Oh and the sub woofer is crossed at 80hz, all the drivers coils are aligned on "z", but that is adjustable mechanically for the mid, upper mid and tweet, these tweaks do make an audible difference but which of the endless combinations is correct is anyone's guess so ATM the are all just lined up on Z , roughly..If anyone would like to take the time to tweak the arrangement or point out an error I may have made, all files are attached.. Your thoughts and comments are as usual appreciated..

Edit-Oooops. I forgot to mention that the x/over is actually two, bass and low mid have their own feed in, as do mid, high mid and tweet..

S

Attachments

• 5.zip
    85.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190804_124045.jpg
    20190804_124045.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Hi Allen, they are the manufacturers curves, they were a pdf and I used FPGraphTracer to digitize them. I'm pretty sure I got them right, I used the info as a basis for my selection although the other choices were limited, no tests of the drivers inside or outside of their cabinets have yet been done, and the conditions of the manufacturers test, well.:scratch2:... Did you spot an error, ?

Cheers S