A 3 way design study

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I agree with you, but why do you think that is, Juha?

I think they almost crack the code of making a speaker thin enough to match a flat panel TV. It’s only 8” deep.

My TV, with its stand, is about 11” deep, (although I’m not sure what is a median depth flat screen TVs these days).

I think that at 20” wide, the speaker is too wide.

My speaker is 13 3/4” wide, and it certainly isn’t decor friendly. Unless you like the big retro box look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This kind of wide baffle speaker color scheme looks better to my eyes (just from the point of view of looks alone) :D
https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-model-a/
1705735651687.png

Offcourse I like the latest Stradivari looks the best, But not all of us will be able to afford/make a speaker like that.. :D
https://www.sonusfaber.com/en/products/stradivari
1705735768648.png

"I agree with you, but why do you think that is, Juha?"
GGNTKT use wide baffle to control directivity and diffractions, which is wise and I like that basically. They also have decided to make speakers that look industrial or pro. Making the box shallow in fine too.

But wide baffle must have something to make it look narrow or lighter, I think. Stadivari is one of the best looking speakers that I know. Another trick is to make a narrow cover or just a strip of veneer with different color.

1705765563506.png

The M3 almost hits the mark, but looks flabby and boxy. A gently curved face like the SF Stradavari has real acoustic and aesthetic merit, by slimming the profile and giving it dimension. Also hides the depth instead of giving you a flat surface to put a ruler against. The M3 is begging me to pinch it's chubby cheeks and rub the squinty horn. Almost there, though.

Those were the last days of Franco Serblin. Also last days od discrete timeless elegance. Palladio series was the last with normal look.

Now I'm just waiting the day when they will install blue glowing tube in bas reflex opening, oh sorry, stealth reflex. Or in that pathetic plate on the top. It will be another reason to raise the price for additional zero. I really hope that these monsters today have good sound, because look is really not the reason to buy any of it... :)

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Thar is a blast from the past!
I must be getting old.

If you are a fan of bending wood (and diffraction control) take a look at what Franco was doing 25 years ago in 1999

@hifijim
IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

When I ask my local cabinet maker if he can do something like the original Stradivari Homage he shoos me away…

Last edited:
Why all the complaints, lol. This is the DIY forum. You may make your own speakers as stunning looking as you'd like :D .
I can only agree!

Short flash-back:
In 2005, my wife wanted new speakers, so we visited some shops, only to see those rectangular floorstanders, the exception being the B&W800 series at that time. I refused to buy B&W's, knowing what was inside. But she liked the elliptical shape.
So i designed my own shape (with drivers as starting point), even made a full scale mockup to show my wife, she agreed and the GAYA2's were born.
Now i am working on replacing the drivers with Purifi stuff, and my wife after some hesitation agreed but with the strict condition of maintaining the enclosures!!!

Well, i did not mind as it was also my condition to proceed;-)

An impression of fit in our living room :
20240121_162023.jpg
20240121_162006.jpg

Reactions: 2 users