A 3 way design study

I can't read Polish, but this dip around 300Hz happens in all their measurements.
Obviously upper range is gated rather short, causing dip below 400Hz. Bass is some kind of nearfield, without baffle step correction and perhaps spl compensation isn't spot on.

This difficulty can be seen with Stereophile etc, merged meaasurements as well. Room response should be very good!

Reactions: 1 user
Marcel,

Your FLANGE-57-76 for bolts at 3x57 and 4x76 mm pitch
and the FLANGE-57-76-102 also for the pitch 4x102 mm

Looks like you may still need more holes for the new B&C "HLX" helical throat drivers:
B&C DH350, Two M5 holes 180° on 53 mm (2.09 in) diameter.
B&C DH450, Two M5 holes 180° on 57 mm (2.24 in) diameter.
B&C %22HLX%22 helical throat drivers.png

The smaller one is due for release around June of 2024, the larger more like October.
There may be some samples available in advance of the release...

Art

The flange shown above is already the one for the DH drivers (2x53 + 2x57).

- I'm really curious how they managed to create the advertised flat wavefront at the exit. I'm a bit sceptical but let's wait and see (there also seems to be quite a sharp change in cross-section area right at the exit, surprisingly). Definitely, the zero exit angle should be a good match to my new waveguides, as I started to use a straight tube at the entrance.

Last edited:
View attachment 1272508

View attachment 1272509

Mixing the pack a little... Intersting and ugly design from Monitor audio https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/hyphn/

3-way wit 4 opposing woofers firing into a slot and star coaxial MTM with six mids!

Polish magazine has tested and measured it, dispersion looks pretty good!. Please notice the vertical spl scale!
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3842-monitor-audio-hyphn#laboratory
It looks like the first priority was to make it look like an alien spaceship. The functionality aspect as a speaker probably only came next :D :D

Because of some other work pressure, I am not able to do much audio-related stuff of late.. :)
However, some slow work is in progress (by my friend) for finishing the EXAR 400 waveguides I had printed last year.. :)

1. Petals (printed in ABS) glued and lightly sanded
1709825380557.png

2. Primer coating
1709825459483.png

3. Puttied
1709825482667.png

4. Painting started
1709825523708.png

5. Painting stage-2 and clearcoat
1709825558424.png

After one more round of clear coat on the front side, work on the front-side will be done :)

Reactions: 6 users
Yes - I remember doing frequency response measurements and primitive circuit simulation in 1992. Here I am quoting myself from a post I wrote back in 2019...

Measuring Response in the Old Days

Back in 1992, making a frequency response curve was no easy task in a DIY situation but at least it was possible. There were test CDs which had 1/3 octave warble tones and 1/3 octave filtered pink noise. The MiteyMike was an accurate near-lab-grade microphone which could be attached to a camera tripod. I bought a true-RMS volt meter used in the telecom industry with a response from 10 hz to 100 kHz.

To make a response curve, I would start with 20 Hz, play the appropriate test CD track, set the pre-amp volume control to 2 V, and record the voltage generated by the microphone. By “record” I mean with a pencil, on real paper. Without touching the volume control, repeat the process for the next track at 25 Hz. Then at 32 Hz. Repeat 28 more times. I was fortunate enough to have access to a PC, so I loaded the recorded voltages into Excel, converted them to dB, and plotted them… if you did not have access to a PC or Mac, you did the calcs with a calculator and plotted by hand on log-linear graph paper. Having completed the on-axis measurements, I moved the microphone to the 30 degree off-axis position and repeated. Repeated again for 45 degree off axis. Repeat again for vertical dispersion… Etc. etc. etc.… It took hours to fully measure the response of one driver.

Reactions: 3 users
Work on the horns is done (atleast for now).
I can't wait to measure them and hear them and compare with the KVAR horns that I have :D
Once they reach home, I will try to take measurements with 2 drivers.
1) BMS 4550
2) SB Audience Rosso 65CDN-T with a 1.4inch to 1 inch driver throat insert
Now need to start making boxes for 2 x 15drivers per side.. :)

Final pics of the horn
1710258729687.png
1710258818372.png
1710258789214.png
1710258849589.png

Reactions: 13 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes - I remember doing frequency response measurements and primitive circuit simulation in 1992. Here I am quoting myself from a post I wrote back in 2019...

Measuring Response in the Old Days

Back in 1992, making a frequency response curve was no easy task in a DIY situation but at least it was possible. There were test CDs which had 1/3 octave warble tones and 1/3 octave filtered pink noise. The MiteyMike was an accurate near-lab-grade microphone which could be attached to a camera tripod. I bought a true-RMS volt meter used in the telecom industry with a response from 10 hz to 100 kHz.

To make a response curve, I would start with 20 Hz, play the appropriate test CD track, set the pre-amp volume control to 2 V, and record the voltage generated by the microphone. By “record” I mean with a pencil, on real paper. Without touching the volume control, repeat the process for the next track at 25 Hz. Then at 32 Hz. Repeat 28 more times. I was fortunate enough to have access to a PC, so I loaded the recorded voltages into Excel, converted them to dB, and plotted them… if you did not have access to a PC or Mac, you did the calcs with a calculator and plotted by hand on log-linear graph paper. Having completed the on-axis measurements, I moved the microphone to the 30 degree off-axis position and repeated. Repeated again for 45 degree off axis. Repeat again for vertical dispersion… Etc. etc. etc.… It took hours to fully measure the response of one driver.

Oh that brings back memories of the golden days.

That Panasonic electret condenser and the Mitey Mike / II:

Reference:
https://sites.pitt.edu/~szekeres/mic/mic.htm

And using Stereophile 1/3 octave warble tones on CD…

This was even before the soothing sounds of dialup:

I stepped away for about 10 years and along comes SpeakerBoxLite, VituixCAD and REW.

Software speeded up so many processes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users