802 Diy speakers

small update... during concrete cure I noticed small hair crack occured around binding post holes so I have filled those with very soft cement+water paste to prevent further spread:

IMG-6460.jpg IMG-6461.jpg

I think it was a success and after everything dried I also tried how its going to look with the posts, I think better then expected :D as concrete is quite thirsty I am still spraying it every day here and there with water but soon it'll be a week so I think I stop doing that soon. As its so dry, I got an idea that it would be very suitable to do some naming with water decals. After that I will paint it all with some water based varnish:

IMG-6476.jpg

also i did a lil bit of woodwork - tried fitting teardrops into seats. To make it fit properly I had to dig in a bit into back wall. During final mount I will cure all survaces the teardrop sit on with some foam or rubber seal. Its going to be secured in place with a few "door" screws which I'll sand and polish so they look nice:

IMG-6462.jpg IMG-6463.jpg IMG-6464.jpg

also all the walls are finished:

IMG-6466.jpg

hopefuly over the weekend I'll trim the excess and mill all the edges
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users
Jeffrey its 14kg for one stand

Jcris you mean the one on picture above? Its going to be located on a back wall, basically i wouldnt see that. But on the other hand i want to make impression that some extra piece is holding that. Ofc i could just whole glue it with silicone or so.
 
Last edited:
Member
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello again,
To achieve the curvature of the walls I see you had to “ sandwich “ a few pieces of wood together. It appears this has created some voids between those pieces. I wonder if that will create unwanted resonance? I’m not sure how that curvature could be created otherwise. Kerf cutting perhaps? I wonder how this is accomplished by B&W, and other manufacturers? The internal bracing looks excellent though, so maybe that negates some potential issues. I’m certainly no expert but am enjoying your build.
 
To see how they do it just check youtube and search, there are plenty factory tours describing the process.

To my voids…Yes there are some spaces on outside extras (good catch!) as I have not applied much glue there and have not tied these outer parts with straps. Because there wouldnt be any internal bracing to hold it against and not to curve or damage the bend it goes loose free on edges. I pressed and tied straps only around bracing part.

Hopefuly it´ll be filled nicely. If not, I will inject glue in if possible. When I knock on walls sounds sturdy everywhere and no hollow spots
 
Last edited:
Member
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I haven't followed the whole thread so not sure if there is anything left to do with the curved sides, but... I made curved cabinets with 1/8" layers of plywood and used Gorilla Glue. You moisten the wood with water (I just used a small spray bottle) and it expands a fair amount, filling any gaps.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
today I had some extra time and finally cut the excess plywood...

It wasnt ideal, because plywood wanted to chip like hell, but after some time I figured out the right way to guide the mill and it went fine. However there are a few issues visible and have to use filler again and sand again to fix a few mistakes.

I did a short clip of cutting the excess :) beware of volume, its loud! one hand phone, one hand vibrating tool :D


no video from the milling as I need two hand for that one :rolleyes:

couple of images from the process below, cutting it flat as first step:

IMG_6485.jpeg IMG_6486.jpeg IMG_6488.jpeg IMG_6493.jpeg IMG_6484.jpeg

after that I milled all the plywood edges by 45° tool, I had rly big one and chamfer is about 30mm but still some part of plywood was flat. To have smoother transition over all edges I smoothed all by sanding with 80 grit:

IMG_6489.jpeg IMG_6490.jpeg IMG_6491.jpeg

When I bring them home ofc small black one had to check my work and do a sniff check :ROFLMAO:

IMG_6501.jpeg

as there are a few issues next I am going to fill the mistakes with poly filler and sand everything, then I'll apply acrylic primer and semi-gloss black by foam roller, smth like "structure" surface of some sort, will see how it will come up, will do few tests on the bottom if i like it or not :D
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 5 users
Member
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I was concerned there may issues with the way the walls were laminated together. But the ends/edges appear as though there are no voids whatsoever. It looks really well done, excellent work.
Very nice pictures
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
a lot of sanding today... filled all dents and errors, sanding sanding and never ending sanding... after that I did first 2 layers of water based acrylic primer. Some fresh wood joints showed up, one month old ones stayed flat, so I think will keep it resting for a while...

anyway, after the first primer dries I'll sand it again and will see if that fix minor issues such as visible joints.

I must say I like it white too :D sooo big dilemma now, will think about it...
 

Attachments

  • IMG-6503.jpg
    IMG-6503.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-6502.jpg
    IMG-6502.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Like
Reactions: 3 users
Trying to find the right fit for the feets... when I saw that, oh my... I had to add teardrops :D damn I like that white + beech + concrete combo, maybe a bit too much of a ikea-like cliche :unsure: will think about it :D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6506.jpeg
    IMG_6506.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 106
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user