• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7-pin miniature tubes for audio?

Aletheian, the 5965 is not specced as a remote cutoff device. It's a computer tube, and so the specs are pretty loose. Some are very nonlinear, having a sort-of remote cutoff characteristic, and some are better. I used it at the time because it was the only (or only available) duotriode that had a high enough gm and low enough rp to do the job here, the constraint being the rather low grid circuit resistance rating of the 6V6 when negative-supply biased. Andy Evans in Blighty did some taste tests on various types; he ended up liking the pinch-waist Mullards best, I never found any. Best I found was RCA three-mica 5965, followed by RCA two-mica and orange-label Amperex 7062, then white-label Mullard / Amperex / Philips E180CC.

A lot of the nonlinearity of this tube type is 2nd order, and it's being used here in a diff-amp, which nulls most of this out. They can actually sound very good, but they got 'discovered', they're getting harder to find, and getting good pairs and quads is a bear because they test so scattery.

I think this may be a problem in adapting all sorts of oscillators (6T4), VHF amps (6GK5), sweep and pass tubes, all of that stuff, for audio. It isn't that they're categorically bad, but a lot of things like microphonicity, noise, linearity, tight specs, just weren't cared about, so you takes your chances. For me so far, the 6GK is a definite winner, the jury is still out on the 6T4.

Aloha,

Poinz

A lot of the nonlinearity of this tube type is 2nd order

That works to advantage in a PP amp, where even order distortion products from the "finals" are cancelled. Look at the NET distortion spectrum. Jim McShane correctly points out that a "waterfall" net HD spectrum is desireable. The 12AT7/ECC81 is skewed even more towards 2nd order HD than the 5965 and it sounds damned good as a differential splitter. Don't put a 'T7 in a SE amp. YUCK!

Eli Duttman said:

That works to advantage in a PP amp, where even order distortion products from the "finals" are cancelled. Look at the NET distortion spectrum. Jim McShane correctly points out that a "waterfall" net HD spectrum is desireable. The 12AT7/ECC81 is skewed even more towards 2nd order HD than the 5965 and it sounds damned good as a differential splitter. Don't put a 'T7 in a SE amp. YUCK!

Good call. I am experimenting right now with a 12at7 LTPI/CCS DC coupled into a PP el84 A1 output. On paper and on a sim it looks good. I wanted to try it since i rarely use 'AT7 since it has been easier for me to get better sound out of more exotic tubes.

Poindexter said:
NFB is poison. Besides, now we're down 1dB at 25Hz. Big deal.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

C'mon, guys, we're supposed to be pushing the envelope here, not promoting mediocricity. Everybody here has already seen mediocracy.

Just because there are all too many yutzes out there doing poor open loop designs and hiding their mistakes behind enormous amounts of gNFB does not mean that it's "poison", just misused and abused.

NFB (local and global) is essential to get good performance from any SS amp, and from pentodes. I've done both, and NFB certainly helps improve the sound considerably, but only if you don't overdo it. The judicious use of NFB will make a good sounding SET sound even better. Furthermore NFB also helps in making performance less dependent on each component.

I lurk here to get eddjakated. C'mon,eddjakate me.

Aloha,

Poinz

I just did. :D

The question is: will you learn from it?

Miles Prower said:
The judicious use of NFB will make a good sounding SET sound even better.

My suggestion to anyone (everyone) is to build an amp that you know will perform well without NFB, then go ahead and experiment by adding a little at a time to see if it improves the sound to your ears.

I think it really is a subjective thing, depends a lot on the rest of your system and you're listening habits. You might find a little helps tighten things up a bit. You might find more brings fun and dynamics. Then go back and try none at all again to see what it cost you ...

-- Dave

My suggestion to anyone (everyone) is to build an amp that you know will perform well without NFB, then go ahead and experiment by adding a little at a time to see if it improves the sound to your ears.

GOOD ADVICE! NFB is tool, not a crutch. To get good results, the circuit must be reasonably linear open loop. Watch the phase shifts. A max. of 2 caps. can be in loop's signal path and only 1 is safer. Phase shift oscillators are something all of us can do without. :(

BTW - I always forget but there is a sort of EL84/6BQ5 with top anode and that is sturdier built than a "normal" EL84. I think it was a 7-pin tube but I may be wrong. [/B]

7757 is probably what you are thinking of. It is a plate cap variant of 6094 which is an ultra rugged 6AQ5/6005. IIRC, 6094 and 7757 are 9 pin. 6AQ5/6005 is a 7 pin tube.

6J6s;

jerluwoo, what kind of 6J6s you like? My guy has RCA, GE, Sylvania in inventories big enough to get good matching. Usually I would just try RCA first, since they're almost always good, but I wonder if you (or anybody else around here) has a read on which ones are the luxe.

Cool device, by the way; just the sort of thing I was hoping to find in this thread. The single cathode limits possible applications, of course, but I want to make a diff-amp out of them anyway. so hey!

Mahalo,

Poinz

The 6j6s i have are rebadged to eico meant as replacements for oscilliscopes. Had about ten of them so i havnt tried any other brands. I posted a scematic of a very good sounding little hybrid amp here in the tubes section using them. Good little tubes i think. I found only 1 out of the ten that was microphonic.

Hey; sho-n-tell!

Here's the P O C breadboard of the Machine, with the 5965s replaced by 6GK5s

bread07.jpg

There's no goin' back; the 6GK5 has 60% more gain, 30% more drive (lower rp), no section-matching predicament, and sounds noticeably better than the 5965. More spacious, more juicy, more see-through.

Hau'oli i Maui,

Poinz