• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Alright, did some more scooting around- the mounting holes near each socket are 40mm spacing m3 holes, and the socket centers are 45mm from the top edge of the board, 20mm from the board edge. I don't have access to a printer just now to mock up a printout of the PCBs but I think that there should be plenty of room for most reasonable audiophile output caps. I want to redo the silkscreen labeling of the output terminals and I'm trying to think of the most clear way to do so.

Attachments

• AbdpcwRZttAKHzA.png
    AbdpcwRZttAKHzA.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 5nWk6jea4rj7Kh6.png
    5nWk6jea4rj7Kh6.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 4pifCRugoNhRXdY.png
    4pifCRugoNhRXdY.png
    295.6 KB · Views: 280
Alright, now we have the seven pin socket nested inside the footprint (surprisingly easy, really) for the octal socket, so the board will now support the 6AQ5 and other tubes that share the same pinout :)

I just want to redo the labels on the terminal strip and I think we are basically done!

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    209.1 KB · Views: 255
  • BGUDA7bb4CHu7hQ.png
    BGUDA7bb4CHu7hQ.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 7bmAPwrFo9vLujY.png
    7bmAPwrFo9vLujY.png
    327 KB · Views: 83
I would appreciate any comments on more clear markings for the terminal strip that all the offboard connections are run off of, so I took a break from that and decided to try a different part of the project.

I went ahead and worked on the nine pin version as well. This one is set up for the EL84 pinout, with jumpers to allow the 6p15p to work as well. This will allow you to use a bunch of great affordable tubes for this design, such as the 6p14p, 6CW5/EL86/PL84/UL84, and the 6p43p (my personal favorite I'd like to try). For quick reference, a mu of 20 can be had with the EL84 with a bypassed cathode, and the 6p43p could make a mu of 6 like the 6V6 design but can do it even with only a 150 volt supply!

I will also do a 6p1p version as well, once these look good. I think we're almost done!!!

Attachments

• 58nvwAQ3zPG5fWD.png
    58nvwAQ3zPG5fWD.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 8YGgSZrbnKbCSY6.png
    8YGgSZrbnKbCSY6.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 5yBbZUozRXk689d.png
    5yBbZUozRXk689d.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Put 3mm holes in the centre of each tube socket -- it makes a stencil for layout (cutting the hole for the tube - I assume the parts are on one side and the sockets on the other?)!

Also if you move the electro in the centre you can place a 5th screw hole there...

Last edited:
Could go green to play pretend like the new Mcintosh stuff :)

Alright- here's the semi-final octal/seven pinner version- we now have a mounting hole in the center of the board, inline with the centers of the tube sockets at 45mm from the bottom edge of the board. With the holes at 20mm from the center on top and bottom of each socket we should have plenty of support, in addition to the corner mounting holes! There are now holes centered under each socket for easy chassis drilling layout, and they also serve double duty for anyone that wish to place an LED under the socket for seven pin applications. The supply capacitor is now up at the top of the board right next to the feed to the anode resistors, with an alternate feed of power on this side of the board for those that would prefer it. I also found a better way to label the terminal strip for in/out/power that I think is much more clear.

Attachments

• AteA68T2QpNDwsB.png
    AteA68T2QpNDwsB.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 9SEDocNq3qkXuSk.png
    9SEDocNq3qkXuSk.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 8wxsWHN76VLX8un.png
    8wxsWHN76VLX8un.png
    352.7 KB · Views: 335
And here is the noval/El84 version. All of the features of the octal version, but set up for EL84 pinout tubes. Also features support for the 6p15p tube as well via jumper to allow connection of pins 1 and 3 to tie the G3 and cathode together. I'm particulary interested in this version so I can build one up with 6p43p-e tubes for low voltage :) Interesting note is that you can build your chassis to accept either board, and then freely dismount one to swap to the other. Interesting feature of doing the boards all at once :)

Silkscreen still says "6v6" on it for now, I'll let Salas decide what we call that version. "EL84 line preamp"? "Noval line preamp" is what I'm calling it for now.

Next up once we are happy with these two will be a pinout change to the noval/EL84 version to work with the 6p1p tube. I'll call that one the "6p1p line preamp" on the board.

I might order a batch of beta PCBs by friday? :)

Attachments

• BHfbA4CdbcUMPHm.png
    BHfbA4CdbcUMPHm.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 343
  • cBFZpncMrecZzgJ.png
    cBFZpncMrecZzgJ.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 327
  • B2NgSsKGTsnzaMa.png
    B2NgSsKGTsnzaMa.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
And here is the noval/El84 version. All of the features of the octal version, but set up for EL84 pinout tubes. Also features support for the 6p15p tube as well via jumper to allow connection of pins 1 and 3 to tie the G3 and cathode together. I'm particulary interested in this version so I can build one up with 6p43p-e tubes for low voltage :) Interesting note is that you can build your chassis to accept either board, and then freely dismount one to swap to the other. Interesting feature of doing the boards all at once :)

Silkscreen still says "6v6" on it for now, I'll let Salas decide what we call that version. "EL84 line preamp"? "Noval line preamp" is what I'm calling it for now.

Next up once we are happy with these two will be a pinout change to the noval/EL84 version to work with the 6p1p tube. I'll call that one the "6p1p line preamp" on the board.

I might order a batch of beta PCBs by friday? :)
Great job, thank you! But do we actually need that B+ next tot the signal outputs and inputs? Just a safety precaution... Are you gonna order both 6v6 and novel versions?