• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

The AC in for the CCS is 10.6Volts and after the regulators there is a pretty steady 5.945v that varies 1mv max as measured as of right now. The main HV supply has a 470mF capacitor after rectifiers and a 0.1ohm resistor after the 470mF cap. All resistors on the board are Kiwame except the 470K which is a Caddock. AC voltage for HV is 409v to get 330 after reg.

I had almost 20V dc offset when I first turned on my version of this preamp. Turned out my super fancy Jupiter caps were leaking heaps! They were sitting in a drawer for 10 years, and maybe something had gone wrong with them.
Anyway, bought some NEW modern caps on digikey and problem solved. Are you sure your output caps are good? What's the make, model, rating, and age?

- The info that 6V6 is already used in line circuits with good results is positive. Thanks!

- Here is a basic circuit I came to graphically. Does anybody have a 6V6 model in some sim soft package? I sadly don't have it in my sims.

i guess i would never builds it this way , with the gain control on the high side of the gain stage.......and other things.......
-g

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had almost 20V dc offset when I first turned on my version of this preamp. Turned out my super fancy Jupiter caps were leaking heaps! They were sitting in a drawer for 10 years, and maybe something had gone wrong with them.
Anyway, bought some NEW modern caps on digikey and problem solved. Are you sure your output caps are good? What's the make, model, rating, and age?

Wax capacitors are terrible because moisture works its way inside and starts conducting. They've been known to explode.

I repaired a couple of BAT preamps years ago with a DC problem. It was at their Jensen PIO output caps paralleled pack. Located near enough to tubes they developed DC leakage due to faster drying oil by heat. One of the best made modern PIO. Imagine if wax. Wax is wax and wax melts.