• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6P13S SE cheap amp: improvement suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
azazello,

Referring to your amplifier in Post # 29, . . .

Very nice looking amplifier!
Simple, Clean, and nothing in the way of being able to 'show off' the tubes.

Did you use any negative feedback?
What kind(s)?

What is the Primary impedance of your output transformers?

What is the driver tube type?

I hate to admit it, I might have to try building a single ended Pentode Amplifier again (squashing my pride again).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi azazello,

looking at the layout you have, the kit seems this one:
EL34 bordo amplificatore Single ended tubo kit scheda di amplificazione|Amplificatore| - AliExpress

EL34-bordo-amplificatore-Single-ended-tubo-kit-scheda-di-amplificazione.jpg

May I ask you the working point of your system? or some more details you would like to share?

Seems intriguing!

Yesterday I was checking for different tubes and I thought to approach the amp in another way: use the SE amp as a "preamp" for a class D amp.

The first gain control used to set the kind of harmonic content of the amp.
Load the SE amp with resistors and feed the class D amp with this signal through a volume pot to have whatever power is needed at higher efficiency.

Is it something you guys would suggest?
At that point it's just a matter of tone, not power, so the output tubes can be set to triode mode also not to overload the output transformers.

Thanks in advance.

Here the datasheet of the preamp tube: https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/095/6/6N2.pdf

Looking at the curves of the output tube ( https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/095/6/6P13P.pdf ) am I correct saying that I need around 60V on screens to hit g1=0 with a=50V with Ra=10k4 and working point at 300V 40mA?

I would like to connect a 8 Ohm speaker to the 4 Ohm tap, in order to get around 3 Wrms that should be handled by those small transformers.

A bit more can be obtained by working at 250V and 50mA with Ra=5k2 and hitting g1=0 at 50V and around 90 mA, but I think the output transformers would suffer.

In any case, the suggested voltage for the secondary voltage of the power supply seems a bit high to me (230 to 310 Vac means 310 to 420Vdc).

Attachments

• Loadlines.jpg
    Loadlines.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 129
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.