• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N1, 6N2, 6N11 (6DJ8) in pre?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have tube pre kit which (supposedly) works with any of these. Which is most linear? Most musical? Or otherwise preffered?
I can get some or all, and compare, but even different supliers can result in different sound.
Any recommendation? They do have different heater current demands, so i have to account for this.
I already have one working in box and second is up and running on the floor. I want to replace all my solid state pre, as this pre has more musicality for me. I got no schematics, sorry.

6N1 is not a 6DJ8. Lower gm, higher rp, works at higher voltages. (High impedance) The Russian version is 6N1P. That's a fine tube, but it's definitely not a 6DJ8 equivalent.

6N2 is definitely nothing like a 6DJ8. It's basically a 12AX7 with a 6V heater. The Russian version is 6N2P.

6N11? What the heck is that? Maybe that's the Chinese version of 6922/E88CC.

6N23P is essentially the Russian version of 6DJ8 or ECC88. 6N23P-EV is similar to 6922 or E88CC.

From audiotubes.com:

chinese[1].jpg

Wait... 6N1P is electrically equivalent to ECC40??
--

Joined 2004
Paid Member
6N1 is not a 6DJ8. Lower gm, higher rp, works at higher voltages. (High impedance) The Russian version is 6N1P. That's a fine tube, but it's definitely not a 6DJ8 equivalent.

6N2 is definitely nothing like a 6DJ8. It's basically a 12AX7 with a 6V heater. The Russian version is 6N2P.

6N11? What the heck is that? Maybe that's the Chinese version of 6922/E88CC.

6N23P is essentially the Russian version of 6DJ8 or ECC88. 6N23P-EV is similar to 6922 or E88CC.

From audiotubes.com:

View attachment 1004638

Wait... 6N1P is electrically equivalent to ECC40??
--
Hi rongon, thanks for plethora of information. That's exactly what i am looking for. Kit comes standard with either 6N11 or 6N2. I do not know what is 6N11.

Attachments

• 20211213_075331.jpg
    20211213_075331.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 238
Joined 2004
Paid Member
from some other thread info from member in Ukraine:
6N11 - I believe this is actually 6N1P, and if I'm right then it may be directly substituted with 6DJ8/6922/ECC88, although they are noticeably different. Or you may try Svetlana 6N1P.
some else comments: if 6N11 = 6N1P as our ukrainskij friend suggests, then it is also very easy to find

I do have plenty of NOS unbranded (military?) 6N1P and new Svetlana 6N1P still in the original package. Should be fun to compare sound/spectrum once I finish the power supply.

These kits do have power supply on board, but the filtration is not sufficient, so there is some hum. This is what I need to remove first in order to do proper measurements.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I do have plenty of 6N6P, but I do not want to try them in this kit as they require enormous heater current.

My goal is to have 4-5 functioning tube pre, which would accommodate various tubes. Then compare sound to harmonic spectrum. But I do not want to randomly swap tubes which were never meant to be equivalent. Hence I am gathering the information.

Last edited:
Gain of 6N2 is 100. The rest of the data seems correct.
Max voltage specs can be exceeded, too. I've used 6N6 with 320V on the plate in a push pull amp, and some people would say the 90V (some sheets say 130V) spec for 6N23 and 6DJ8 is due to the max Vhk spec and how they were meant for cascode. I've used 6DJ8 at >200V without issues.