59L Tapped Horn

So I was playing around with these MCM 55-2421 trying to learn Horn Resp and because they always amused me and I was wondering how I could run an isobaric pair of subs in such a small horn. How to fold it? would you have to build a tube sticking into the mouth of the horn to essentially mount cone into the beginning of the horn, tube covers the motor side and allows mounting the second facing the same direction? Originally I was going to make it 4ft length in order to fit behind the seat of a single cab pickup. and still may, but any ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• 59L MCM Iso Tapped Horn Parameters.jpg
    59L MCM Iso Tapped Horn Parameters.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 59L MCM Iso Tapped Horn SPL .jpg
    59L MCM Iso Tapped Horn SPL .jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 59l tapped horn schematic.jpg
    59l tapped horn schematic.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 70
You’re not in isobaric mode here
How do I make it in Isobaric mode permanently? Istg I went to that page and changed it 10 different times because it kept reverting. I go back to the drawing board a bit but honestly I don't mind a terribly high peak at 80ish hz if zi can get it to roll off at 6-8db per octave it would be perfect for a single cab pickup because of cabin gain. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. If I can keep my eyes open long enough I'll fix it now

How do I make it in Isobaric mode permanently? Istg I went to that page and changed it 10 different times because it kept reverting. I go back to the drawing board a bit but honestly I don't mind a terribly high peak at 80ish hz if zi can get it to roll off at 6-8db per octave it would be perfect for a single cab pickup because of cabin gain. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. If I can keep my eyes open long enough I'll fix it now
I wonder what is causing the exaggerated peaks in the isobaric model verses a pair of drivers in the same enclosure mounted separately?

is it the increased moving mass but lack of cone area? or the increased motorforce without the cone area?

simply increasing/decreasing ‘VAS‘ in any sisimulation has the same affect, but what’s actually happening to suspension stiffness here? Same issue with car audio drivers with the super crazy stiff spiders …. Yuck

@weltersys or @GM might be able to steer us in the right direction 🙏🏻

Last edited:
or the increased motorforce without the cone area?

If the two isobaric drivers are connected electrically in parallel, as is the case for the design being considered here, then Bl does not change.

If they are connected electrically in series, then Bl doubles.

but what’s actually happening to suspension stiffness here?

The suspension stiffness is doubled, which means that the compliance Cms for the isobaric pair is half that of a single driver (assuming that the air trapped between the two diaphragms is acting as an incompressible acoustic mass).

Reactions: 1 users