50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Have you guys been studying George's (tubelab) and Smoking-Amp's work on the UNSET thread? They have figured out a better Schade version. Basically, put an FET source-follower in the cathode of the pentode and drive the gate of the FET with the input signal. The pentode then gets the Schade treatment and you pull the output from the anode. Producing some fantastic triode curves. I wonder if the bright minds here can build an all-FET version of it.

Here's the meat of it:
G2 using MOSFET ultralinear feed

Last edited:
Have you guys been studying George's (tubelab) and Smoking-Amp's work on the UNSET thread? They have figured out a better Schade version. Basically, put an FET source-follower in the cathode of the pentode and drive the gate of the FET with the input signal. The pentode then gets the Schade treatment and you pull the output from the anode. Producing some fantastic triode curves. I wonder if the bright minds here can build an all-FET version of it.

Here's the meat of it:
G2 using MOSFET ultralinear feed

1995 also an interesting option
p.856-859

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wireless-World/90s/Wireless-World-1995-10-S-OCR.pdf

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Presenting the L'BAF2015 - No SIT's? No problem

Didn't know where else to stick this one, seems like a good place. Essentially the BAF2015 circuit with a choke load instead. I had to add the source resistor, otherwise the bias ran a bit wild, I believe OllBoll(sp?) predicted this in Ben's orig SIT thread where I initially posted the idea. Similar performance to the original circuit, a bit smoother with the choke load. 30.5VDC rails, 26.5Vds biased @4A. I used the venerable 193V, but decided on the 195T10, more bias sounds better. Currently waiting on some big honking 200mH@10A chokes. Anyway, for those that cannot get their hand on some SIT's, don't pass this one up. A few add-ons, J113 buffer lifted from Ben Mah's original common source SIT amp thread, arduino controlled soft start. And surprisingly, with wires strewn about with little care, absolutely silent. Sounds too good to finish the case!!(lazy)

enjoy!
John

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2540.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 286
  • L'BAF2015.png
    L'BAF2015.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 302
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Didn't know where else to stick this one, seems like a good place. Essentially the BAF2015 circuit with a choke load instead. I had to add the source resistor, otherwise the bias ran a bit wild, I believe OllBoll(sp?) predicted this in Ben's orig SIT thread where I initially posted the idea. Similar performance to the original circuit, a bit smoother with the choke load. 30.5VDC rails, 26.5Vds biased @4A. I used the venerable 193V, but decided on the 195T10, more bias sounds better. Currently waiting on some big honking 200mH@10A chokes. Anyway, for those that cannot get their hand on some SIT's, don't pass this one up. A few add-ons, J113 buffer lifted from Ben Mah's original common source SIT amp thread, arduino controlled soft start. And surprisingly, with wires strewn about with little care, absolutely silent. Sounds too good to finish the case!!(lazy)

enjoy!
John

if you want xerox copy of Papa's Schade effect, move big cap (C1, negative end) to source of MOS

there are the ways for biasing that beast without introducing source resistor, but there must be a line, preventing me of messing in every Gulyás :rofl:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks guys! Of course many thanks to Nelson, MR, Ben, Zen, and many others. I purchased a truckload way back of Solen S102.2 coils before prices went wild. At roughly 224W of dissipation, they barely get warm after about 8hrs...build it big. same for the heatsinks; hands on indefinitely.

ZM - yes, this was mentioned in another thread, when I initially posted the idea, but I wasn't sure how to handle that, I'll have to re-visit this....in the mean-time, sounds too good to mess with it

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
biasing will stay the same, while modulation of mosfet will be referenced to its Source, not GND

as is , you introduced source resistor to help you in DC domain (Iq stability) but you also introduce local degeneration, thus changing transfer characteristic as Papa prescribed

how to do that - easy - just reconnect neg side of C1 to Source

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Schade,it can

though, problem lies where your bias generator is referenced

as you draw it, with presumption that biasing circuit is referenced to GND (as in your present build), that's recipe for BigBadaBoom ......... or music interrupted with silence, in best case

:)

second thing (second, but not less important) - for follower duty, you're expecting helluva swing that puny input xformer must endure

no go

if you want Schade, see (still need confirmation) preliminary Lazy Singing Bush schematic - it is xformerless with reason

at least I believe that I posted Schade Mos iteration

Last edited: