• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

45 Type Push/Pull Amps

Oh boy, if anyone is still out there and if there any interest in the side bar about low DCR vs high inductance, I’ve now built two amp designs by Thomas Mayer - neither PP designs so this is a tangent to topic still - his designs sound wonderful! No lack of dynamics for all the inductance and resistance. And of course, by admitting I’ve not lived with that one design as I thought I might I’ve got to apologize for my brashness. I think it comes from falling in love with an amp, a sound, and then attaching to that love a philosophy or style of problem solving.
I now have built a dozen different designs (again, apologies for none being PP 45s) and all I’ve been able to determine is that there are some very good designs out there, a Variety of designs. Also there are some super talented people and some very kind people, some natural teachers too. When you come upon one with all these things rolled into one, and they out there, these gentlemen deserve respect. Thank you Thomas Mayer and George of Tubelabs both trying to calm things down and defend ideas from unnecessary assault. I’ve built your designs and a better builder for it, I’m also a better listener and a happy one too! I owe many people many thanks and…respect!

At the risk of going further off topic, I'll say I agree. I've built amps both of them designed, and they're great. I have learned a LOT from both of them. Pmillett, too.. and a bunch of others have helped me and I'm failing to remember their names. All the regulars here on diyaudio have been incredibly helpful. Dave over in the speaker section has personally helped me a lot.. The list goes on and on.

A 25 Watt 6L6 push pull amp with more authority than a 45 single ended amp? Quite possible.
What are the details of the 6L6 amp? Negative Feedback, Output transformer primary inductance, etc.
What are the details of the 45 single ended amp? No Negative Feedback, Output transformer primary inductance, etc.

Generally,
A push pull amplifier tends to have a symmetrical damping factor.
A single ended amplifier tends to have an un-symmetrical damping factor.
How this affects the sound of the woofer might be different.

Generally,
A DHT tube, like a 45, 2A3, or 300B, is quieter if the filament is powered from clean DC, and noisier with AC filament power.