• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

3A5 SE HP amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
May be this B+ will work

Attachments

• 3A5 B plus.jpg
    3A5 B plus.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
Thank you very much Mr. Minhaj. In this diagram R5 220K act as bleeder but they use 12K both L and R to drop voltage. Is it too high resistors values?

I think use high value resistors to drop voltage in B+ Power supply caused by mistake of too high secondary power transformer (should be lower). The high value to Ground such as 220K 300K should be use as Bleeder Resistors to discharge Capacitors. I only see low value to drop B+ voltage such as 30R - 220R but not in Kilo ohms.

Rewind the Power transformer to get lower voltage is more proper.

Now I understand how to split B+ to left and right. but should be low value of R not 12K. Maybe 30R - 150R is good, right?

Attachments

• 12Au7.png
    12Au7.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 76
Thank you very much Mr. Minhaj. In this diagram R5 220K act as bleeder but they use 12K both L and R to drop voltage. Is it too high resistors values?

...It is ok in this context. High value resistors in power supply give better reg and
filtering. I use 1k-1.5k resistors in tube pre.

120VAC secondary should get around 170VDC. Why it can produce 265 even has high value of Rs 6.8K and 12K drop??

...It is a voltage doubler circuit that is why.

basic B+ might be like this need to study more.

...Okay as a concept, not very good for DHT HP.

basic B+ might be like this need to study more.

...Personally I don't use sand reg for B+ for tube circuits. Since Chokes and
transformers are not expensive in your country should should go with LCLCRC
or pseudo LCLCRC for B. If power tranny and ist filter choke are not high quality
pseudo route is better. No matter how good the amp circuit is, you wouldn't get good
sound until the B+ is good. The last R and C should be close to the load, the last
capacitors should be high quality film cap 2.2uf-3.3uf is enough.

Thank you very much Mr. Minhaj. I am so glad for knowledge you share. At my level, I can't understand alll of sentence you mentioned. However, I will try to search more info and understand your recommendation.

I am very agree that no good sound until B+ is good. Because my experience of 4P1L PP is not sound good but just ok because of my B+ may be wrong.

Oh, it is fun and very difficult for my present skill. I will try hard to gather more info.

Glad and gratitude for every comment in this 3A5 topic, Mr. Minhaj. You are the best expert I ever know in this HP amp field.

because of my B+ may be wrong.

No wrong or right here, only bad, just okay and good.
I am no expert, forget about best.

Hope one day you will be a happy builder. Remember most of the Diy projects are not top class, if you build a mediocre circuit you will get mediocre sound at best!

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.