$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn ~ 35Hz extension

Finally was able to do a sweep outdoors today. Pretty close to the sim. A little EQ to smooth out the dip and they sound great.

The 12mm baltic birch sides don't seem to be an issue from my perspective. Not much flex and shaved a lot of weight off the boxes.

Looks like a 5db boost at 65hz will do - I'm thinking Q of 1.5 to 2.5 ? Has anyone checked the Q shape? Should be consistent with all PAL12s.

I'm going to use 10/32 hex bolts for my drivers with T-nuts - what are those bolts you're using djtimmy? They look massive!

I think the Q will depend on the processor. I am using a berry 2946. That is about what I did though.

I used 1/4" hex head bolts and t-nuts. I used some much better looking button head bolts on my last project but the thread class must have been mismatched and therefore I had a lot of pain with cross threading....so this time I tried hex bolts from lowes and they worked a lot better. In the future I will probably just switch to M6 for everything like I have to use with the B&C drivers. I dont think .3125 will fit in the lab12 mounting holes....of course I could be mistaken.

Q is based on a specific -3 db point per octave, so it *should* be fairly consistent. However, different circuits (baxandall, etc) have diff shapes, so Q can vary a little. I've used lots of digital mixers though, and the sound is consistent enough if I'm shooting for a specific Q, say .7 that I know to get a sound I want on a certain mic.

Finally got one assembled!! It's shaking the glasses off my studio shelves.
I didn't precut the handle and terminal openings, still have a bit of work to do. One side is screwed but not glued.
Does anyone use the paper gasket, or just stick with the attached foam gasket on the Lab 12?

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1301140275.jpg
    tmp-cam-1301140275.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 630
  • tmp-cam-416467993.jpg
    tmp-cam-416467993.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 612
I found McBride loudspeakers in ON, I guess they're the distributor, but looks like I'll have to order the Duratex.

Working on box 2, cutting handles & terminal cup opening.

Any opinions feet vs no-feet? Without feet, I could lay the subs down mouth to mouth; but with feet there would be some space in between.

I put feet on mine...as they will likely be upright most of the time.

I have had a few chances to play with them in my house so far. Running them (carefully) with a PL380. Having fun running various types of music through them. They are a lot more punchy than I anticipated, and reach low enough for most types of music. Looking forward to running them in a bigger room or outside.

UPDATE:

These things do sound great! Still trying to find a good chance to run them both full board.

Had 1 in a friend's garage... it was shaking things all over the garage! very fun. outside, felt like standing outside a club with a band and a few 18s.

Can I get away with a couple of these on a band for 400 people? I hope so, I might try it soon! Tops will likely be Bose F1s.

Hi, long time reader,,, not a tyer person.
I built a th18sc from post 553
It is a single version with the sw115/4. I’ll try to upload some pics when i can.
I willbe powering it with powersoft x8. Is there annyone can help me with the filter and limiter settings?
Saturday we will do a forest party and I’m very looking forward to hear this one sing...
For now it wil be used with eaw jf26nt which have disconected ampmodules and are powered by x8 with greybox settings, the hp is accessible in the greybox settings and i have smart for TF funtion to phase align the sub and tops.
Greetz .. sanny

Last edited by a moderator:
So for some reason my new computer from work, does not allow me to even download/install Hornresp.

Can someone please quickly help me out and check if this driver would work in the PAL12 design? I am especially curious to see the SPL response graph.

sica.jpg

Thank you!!

Thank you for your very quick reply David!
That doesn't look bad, similar to the Ciare 12.00SW response.

I am going to give this driver a try and share the results.
It is possibly a great more cost-effective alternative to the Eminence LAB12 and Ciare 12.00SW.

Going ftor a build

First time Poster to this forum. I have had some lab12's sitting in some old Horn loaded cabs that aren't very useful to me. So, I am repurposing them and planning to build 4 of these Tapped Horns based off of this forum! out of curiosity, does anyone have some of these built that they have done videos on? I plan to do some on my builds.