3-way reference project??

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That seas unit certainly looks good on Paper Moondog, has decent power handling and the price is good. Interesting that the seas graph (in the pdf) is quite different (better) to the madisound one...

Always a bit tricky to compare 2 charts with different "sizes"

Here are the SEAS data (red) vrs the Madisound straight up and then the same with the red level shifted.

dave

Attachments

• Seash1262-raw-compare.gif
    Seash1262-raw-compare.gif
    13 KB · Views: 492
  • Seash1262-compare-adjust.gif
    Seash1262-compare-adjust.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 497
If this project is going for customized drivers it can be really exciting.

Then it will be possible to determine a lot of factors ie. impedance, sensitivity, x-max, Le, frequency range, cone material, VC former material, phase plug / dust cap material etc., etc.

One of my favorite mid ranges is this/these (see below) Vifas which unfortunately has become discontinued. Due to the size of the driver the sensitivity is relatively low.

However, please note the extended frequency range and the smoothness of the frequency response. Another important thing is the nice and sweet roll-off, off axis. This shows that the mechanical design of this driver is really, really good.

If using a driver like these it becomes a breeze to create the cross-over without a lot of components for compensation, peaks and dips etc...

Just for fun: If this driver was chosen for the project it might be possible to get the driver in a coated version and eventually with an extra magnet / bigger magnet to increase sensitivity. Or maybe in a 4 Ohm?, 6 Ohm?, 16 Ohm? version if this might fit better into the final design?!

BTW, Moondog55 states that it is necessary to go for a 4-way system to handle the lowest frequencies. I do not agree in this matter. It is absolutely possible to create a full-range 3-way system but there is, of course, no free lunch. The sensitivity of the system will be lower, the system will not be able to handle the same level of power and the drivers will be driven with more load. This will be a bit tough for the mid range which has to carry a heavy load since it has to be realtively wide banded.

If the lowest frequencies are wanted in the system it is very important that the bass driver has a low Fs. This because there is a roll-off for the frequencies lower than Fs. The suggested Monacor SPH-265 has an Fs = 23 Hz and a sensitivity of 90-91 dB/1W/1m. Not bad at all....

Link: MG10MD09-08 | Tymphany

PL11MH09-08 | Tymphany

Karsten

The PL11MH09 is discontinued but I think Solen has a bunch in stock.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Theres many ways to do it
And I would also be in doubt how to choose design and drivers

Expencive drivers, probably not
Small cheap ones, nah
3way is exstremely tricky
2ways too boring

Theres one I would consider interesting, and affordable

2.5way with Eminence Beta-8A and Bohlender Graebener Neo3W
Sensitivity would be above 90db
Maybe also consider active side mounted woofer, AE, Beyma, Dayton, Goldwood, whatever makes you happy

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
One of my reasons for preferring 3-way speakers is that using a dedicated woofer frees up the midrange to do midrange duty only, although Rabbitz statement that a 2.5 way using a low Fs woofer rolled off very early makes good sense; it still allows a lot of the bass to go thru the mid driver.

One of my reasons for starting the thread was to increase my own knowledge before starting my next 3-ways, although I am lucky enough to have already bought the P-13s for that project.

#3-ways are hard, I understand that; but I have always thought that a well implemented 3-way just sounded better ( until you can afford triple-digit drivers anyway ) and so many people have been looking for a balanced sound kit or recipe for a 3-way speaker

With all the experience and expertise here I'm positive we will arrive at something suitable in a reasonable time, and hopefully the drivers we choose will stay around for a year or two after finalizing the XO

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I'm in the Tymphany site and see that the PL11 and D26NC-55-06 are back in the product line-up BUT as OEM only, that sux as this would (IMHO ) have been a good starting point for the midrange and tweeter, reasonable dispersion and close C2C distance, and the P13 isn't part of the line-up, where did Madisound get their stocks from??
Speakerbits in Melbourne still has the P13 on their website too.

Both the PL11 and the P13 are well documented, we could work around these well known drivers, 1000 tweeters is a heck of a lot but 500 pairs of speakers world wide?? I really think that a kit with us as the supplier is the only way to get the drivers needed at a reasonable price, and yes I know that distribution is going to be hard, we need an established 3rd party to get interested I think

links

D26NC-55-06 | Tymphany

PL11WH09-08 | Tymphany

PL14WJ09-08 | Tymphany

P13WH-00-08 | Tymphany

I would suggest a Seas 27TDFC for tweeter, Seas MCA15RCY midrange and Seas CA26RFX woofer.

The woofer should allow enough for BSC, if my WinISD sim is correct it show about 92dB at 200Hz in a 100L ported box, tuned for 30Hz. 2.3L sealed for midrange.

XO at about 300Hz to make BSC easier and 2Khz to the tweeter.

André

I would suggest a Seas 27TDFC for tweeter, Seas MCA15RCY midrange and Seas CA26RFX woofer.

The woofer should allow enough for BSC, if my WinISD sim is correct it show about 92dB at 200Hz in a 100L ported box, tuned for 30Hz. 2.3L sealed for midrange.

André

Nice complement of drivers Andre! I concur that quality drivers are worth their weight in gold. Seas are tough to bet for any speaker project.

OK lets see what the costs of these drivers are buying just one set.

Hi Moondog.

I thought I better let you know what prices are:

The SEAS 27TDFC: $46AU each.
The SEAS MCA15RCY: $71AU each
The SEAS CA26RFX: $155 AU each.

These exchange rates were from XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site, but they wont vary to much from your banks.

Looks like a good speaker though. The seas 27tdfc is one of my favourites. For the price, you cant go wrong.

:)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
$550- plus post plus XO, this combo actually sounds do-able, prices in the US and EU would probably be not much lower.

I know large value inductors are expensive but how low could the 5inch be crossed?? I like to cross to the mid a little lower than 300, if possible; 250? or 220Hz??

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
To clarify my comment on Peerless drivers.

I have plenty of speakers here that use Peerless drivers and I really like them. The issue I have is they don't tend to stick around for long.

When you do choose a woofer ask around for those who have used it as tonal qualities do vary greatly and some are more suited to HT rather than music. There are woofers and then there are woofers if you know what I mean.

Hi Rabbitz, yes I understood that, sorry I should have qualified (or quoted you) when I posted for others that hadn't read your original post :)

On the tonal differences between woofers, to that I can most certainly attest. When I changed the original 12" Plessey driver in my three ways to Vifa M26WR-09-08's (obviously with a change of baffle and appropriate tuning) the improvement was dramatic, and not just in the tonal quality.

If they were still making them I'd recommend the W26's although they would probably be outside of the budget constraints anyway.

Tony.

André

This driver selection is very similar to what I came up with for my 3 way design except I'm using two 6.5" drivers that are based off the Adire Extremis rather then the the single 10" woofer. I'm still trying to get the time to finalize the design and finish the drawings so that I can make up a cut sheet to take to the place that will cut the wood for me.

I was starting to wonder though if a 5" midrange in use with two 6.5" woofers was a little overkill.

Also consider the 27TFFC, it's a bit cheaper and also seems to be very popular as well, I've actually seen more designs using the TFFC then the TDFC which when you consider the very small price difference, it tends to make me think perhaps the TFFC is a little better.