3-Way active Horn Speaker (Monitor) for small rooms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
ZivkoF,
You are da man!
From my point of view this is one of a few answer that can work (it ticks all box of Drumberg request imho)! ( well not the 4x Th1819... not sure there will be enough place left in the room!)
I could not find your thread about th1819 in subwoofer subforum... but remembered your main! This was for an ht setup iirc?

Last edited:
Hi,

Nearly the same here :)

What do you think about this?
- Mid/High: 72 or 53cm horn with Faital HF204 or 206 (plays until 500-600Hz) (measurements)
- Midbass: 15PR400 or Volvotreter Conical Midbasshorn with B&C 12PE32 (horn works from 77hz till about 500hz)
- Subs: 4x Subs probably 12" or 15"

I know the horn is not constant directivity but I'm fine with that. The woofer is more interesting. Do you think the conical midbass horn will work together with the rest in my room? I measured a listening distance of 3-3,5m from the drivers (not from the horns).
I think that for me with the 2" drivers the top end has been compromised too much to make them work lower down. It is easy enough to make any driver play lower by using a big enough horn/waveguide unless PA levels are required not so much the other way round.

A Raptor like construction with an XT1464 1.4" driver and two 10" pro woofers MTM would have a good directivity match at crossover and add some narrower vertical directivity to reduce floor and ceiling reflections.

If going for a big horn then MEH Synergy systems seem to offer the best performance but are not so easy to get right. Mark100's synergy attempt 7 thread shows a DCX mated to 10" Faital Woofers and is also designed to go to 100Hz to mate with subs. When the crossover to the CD in the Synergy is low enough a lot of the complexity and difficulty tuning goes away too.

The speaker shown above with a midbass horn and coaxially mounted waveguide also seems like another way to go but for me I think the synergy concept is better.

I also have a 1" Celestion Tweeter and some 2" Mids sitting in a cupboard for me to try my own Synergy build at some point too :)

Last edited:
I intend to make a high efficiency two way and I bought Faital HF146R drivers as I have some XT1464 horns sitting around. ….

There is a test of a HF146 on an XT1464 and SEOS here

The test you linked to was for the HF146 but you have the HF146R. The differences are small when you have a look at the datasheets. But there is also a test for the HF146R available online:

Test Bench: FaitalPRO HF142 Compression Driver Coupled with LTH142 60degx50deg Horn | audioXpress

Regards

Charles

P.S.: I can confirm that the HF146 without R does sound nice on a XT1464. Apart from the SPL capabilities and the directivity it doesn't sound horn-like.

Edit: My memory played tricks with me. The above test is for the HF142 - sorry.

Last edited:
ZivKof, I like a lot the conical mid comp... Looks like a mini VoT horn makes up into a synergy looking... tricky. Any shematic somewhere please ?

So the little round hole is where the faital 12" fires ... wow, so small ?4" diameter ?

Hi,

It is Faital 10PR300 (10-inch) and fires to 10 cm diameter, with this I have got more linear upper frequency responce. It is my design and calculations with HornResp and shematics I have on paper.

Attachments

• DSCF2164.jpg
    DSCF2164.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF2170.jpg
    DSCF2170.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 253
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Zivkof,
Won't you mind sharing your design? I could be interested to play a bit with it.
You painted the horn since the previous picture you shared here. It look great to me.

Charles,
You realised a big mtm (Kinoshita RM-7 like) and i don't remember which horn/driver combo you used? Could you tell us please?

Last edited:
The test you linked to was for the HF146 but you have the HF146R. The differences are small when you have a look at the datasheets.
I realise that ;) The differences are not huge but the response of the R version seems better to me especially the impedance response where the 1k bump is removed. As the price was the same I bought the better looking one :) Your positive comments about the 146 and XT1464 in camplo's thread was one of the reasons for me getting some to try.

Hi,

@ZivkoF: How do like your speakers? Can you tell a little bit about the sound?

I think that for me with the 2" drivers the top end has been compromised too much to make them work lower down.

Do you consider the HF206 as a 2" driver? Because it's the same like the HF146. Does that 2" throat of the HF206 make things worse? Because I'm constantly reading that the top end of 2" drivers is not that good.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks ZivKof,
Makes me fefintly think about Synergy philosophy and designs with lenses on woofers like JBL to shape the curve...and no doubt it s an aperiodic band pass design...- 12 db for the upper F3 ? More perhaps ?
Anyway very cool idea to see it on a mid instead a bass cabinet...
Have you off axis measurement captures ? Very interested by the behavior of the 800 to 1200 hz off axis.... is thehorn patern rules more at the mouth than rhe apex hole in front of the big Sd midwood ?
Like it a lor because shorter than most midbass horn I saw...cool stuff.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yeah i like the design a lot too.
Very clever way to have a coaxial horn: the high frequency xover is located in an area which is 'acceptable' to have a filter in and you have a very wide range horn loaded.
Of course there is compromise, diffraction being one of them. That said the high frequency horn isn't this big and for me is much more acceptable compromise than to have to deal with centre to centre distance issue you face in more 'classic' approach. But this is my own obsession...
And as pointed by Fluid it is much more convenient and easy to buit than a MEH. Not far from Gethain approach too.
musikelectronic geithain gmbh - Home

Diyiggy, have you noted the 4xth1819?
Even if the room is bigger than Drumberg's one this is A LOT of membrane area AND those are tapped horn.

Here is the thread about ZivkoF Th ( i've spent a lot of time contemplating the build and those beast some years ago, you'll see pictures of the coax at around 3/4 of the thread, edit: page 11):
Tapped Horn TH-121 build

Manninen, maybe he is using them ( and designed them) to be listened 'off axis'?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
12" pa coax could be good for your room size and 2-3m distances

So true. But for whatever reason Drumberg's want typical/ traditional horn loading. ( in my view coax are horn loaded and what i'm heading to now).

Manninen could you elaborate on your previous comment about the 'quasi coaxial' and the directivity waveguide in front of the midbass horn? Directivity mismatch, diffraction or something else?

It did something to response and midrange just didnt sound right.
quote from friend:
"effect to the mids freq response is another story. I don't presume this is the best compromize to prioritize the sound localization/point source-ish radiation over the freq response of the mids, at least based on the measurements we took there. If the "acoustic footprint" of the nested TPL200 could be made smaller, then said compromize would be more tempting."

did not measured directivity, maybe not best such depth difference

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hmmm... tpl200.
Ok i'm biased i don't like ribbon (always seems weird to me as i like them as microphone). Maybe the issue was a directivity mismatch( edit: was it horn loaded?)?
I would be interested to listen to both system however ( ZivkoF and the one of your friend).

I suppose the amt was xover lower than the CD in Zivkov. It may play a role too. Difficult to know without seeing the loudspeaker ( better: listening to them!).
If you take a look at Gethain's the plate above the boomer is really obscuring the membrane, but they xover nearly an octave lower than ZivkoF ( around 630hz).

Last edited:
Hi,

@ZivkoF: How do like your speakers? Can you tell a little bit about the sound?

Do you consider the HF206 as a 2" driver? Because it's the same like the HF146. Does that 2" throat of the HF206 make things worse? Because I'm constantly reading that the top end of 2" drivers is not that good.

Hi Drumberg,

I love the sound it is not honky horn sound, I have a friend with Avangarde Acoustic Trio speakers and with Olypian Paladium speakers and I prefer my speakers sound, I can listening hours and hours and I am not tired from the sound, you have everything natural vocals with no hiss or that c, s is jumping out it is life like sound with stupid dynamics and sesitivity 110 dB@1w/1m. The Faital Hi driver HF10AK sounds like TAD 4002. But dont forget that I have 4 x TH1819 big (W58cm x D80cm x H125cm) with 4,5m horn path inside and with 2 x Faital 18XL1800 drivers in front room and 2 x BC 18SW115 drivers in back room to cover 19 to 110 Hz frequency. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.