3"or 4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel it is worth pointing out here that manufactures specs/measurements often deviate significantly from those done by third parties, either for the better or for the worse.

I've yet to find a manufacturer showing real driver performance. They all show sugarcoated data on the verge of fraud. Quite frustrating.

All that said, if you compare Markus' measurements to the MarkAudio ones they are roughly concordant with one another.

I'd say they differ in important aspects:

attachment.php

The human ear tends to be quite forgiving of very narrow dips or peaks though (unless are room modes), especially ones in the top octave, so the fact that lots of people like how they sound isn't a surprise.

I've got a pair of Visaton BF45 full rangers that peak/dip/peak like crazy in the top two octaves, but sound wonderful by comparison.

Ture, nevertheless depending on the room they will sound different than a less distorted driver.

Attachments

• Alpair7g3-fr-offaxis-0611sm.png
    Alpair7g3-fr-offaxis-0611sm.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,078
I would like to echo 5th Element. Once you account for the difference in scales, the two runs are pretty much the same. At 60-90*, there is so much chance of getting defraction and reflections, even with strong gating. If you want to measure what you hear, step back and that some measurements a 2-3m.

Bob

I don't feel that this will change results dramatically. The off axis peak around 10kHz won't go away.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Calibrated EMM-6 and calibrated ECM8000.

I have 1 of the 1st and 3 of the 2nd. I don't trust any of them above 10k. They are a tool to help build a better speaker. You have to keep in mind that the curves we see are what is happening on the surface... they tell us nothing about the performance 10, 20, 30, 40dB down (in the presence of that surface signal). It is what is happening down there that makes the difference between a good speaker and a great speaker. If you are evaluating the speaker soley on what the mic/measuring system tells you about the surface then you are not practising very good engineering. It is nice if it is mirror smooth surface but it is far from the whole story.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything gets treated like a nail.

dave

I have 1 of the 1st and 3 of the 2nd. I don't trust any of them above 10k.

That's why mine are calibrated. They show exactly what is happening.

They are a tool to help build a better speaker. You have to keep in mind that the curves we see are what is happening on the surface... they tell us nothing about the performance 10, 20, 30, 40dB down (in the presence of that surface signal). It is what is happening down there that makes the difference between a good speaker and a great speaker. If you are evaluating the speaker soley on what the mic/measuring system tells you about the surface then you are not practising very good engineering. It is nice if it is mirror smooth surface but it is far from the whole story.

dave

What are you talking about? Non-linear distortion?

If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything gets treated like a nail.

Another red herring. My measurements show the frequency response on and off axis. It's not good. If you think that frequency response is meaningless then so be it. You're free to believe whatever you want.

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've yet to find a manufacturer showing real driver performance. They all show sugarcoated data on the verge of fraud. Quite frustrating.

Hmmm I think that is a tad extreme ;)

I felt that SB accoustics specs for the SB12MNRX25-4 that I bought (a 4" but not really relevant to this thread) were quite good.

See attached SB's measurement (on IEC baffle at 36CM) and my measurement taken outside free feild in a small vented box with baffle only slightly larger than the driver at distance 1M. Mine is 12th octave smoothed. Also same measurement with distortion data. Note that the baffle geometry filled in some of the dip that occurs at around 1.5Khz with the IEC measurement, (due to the baffle step hump).

When I measured T/S parameters they were well within the variations I would expect when home measuring compared to factory measuring.

Measurements of my Morel DMS37 tweeters are *very* similar to published SPL curves as well (though FS seems way off).

Tony.

Attachments

• average_params.png
    average_params.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 303
  • sb12nrx25_ts.png
    sb12nrx25_ts.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 308
  • sb12mnzrx25-4_distortion.png
    sb12mnzrx25-4_distortion.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 345
  • sb12nrx25-4_spl.png
    sb12nrx25-4_spl.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 4in-SB12NRX25-4-chart.gif
    4in-SB12NRX25-4-chart.gif
    54.7 KB · Views: 357
  • SB4in_1M.png
    SB4in_1M.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Markus as I said comparing IEC baffle measurement to free field on a small baffle box I don't have the facilities to replicate a factory measurement. The main thing is that they aren't hiding anything in their measurement... I think 1/12th octave smoothing is perfectly fine.

Maybe if I have time I will SPL trace the factory measurement and apply baffle geometry of the cabinet and then compare. But probably not tonight :)

What did you use to overlay my measurement on the factory one? I'd like the ability to do that! :)

edit: The attached measurement was done outside at a distance of about 30cm from memory... I've detached this from a different thread as I don't have the measurement handy so don't know the exact details, but it was close enough to not be showing so much baffle step.

Tony.

Attachments

• sb_4_response.png
    sb_4_response.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Markus as I said comparing IEC baffle measurement to free field on a small baffle box I don't have the facilities to replicate a factory measurement. The main thing is that they aren't hiding anything in their measurement... I think 1/12th octave smoothing is perfectly fine.

Maybe if I have time I will SPL trace the factory measurement and apply baffle geometry of the cabinet and then compare. But probably not tonight :)

Thanks for the offer but you don't need to do it for me.
If asked what manufacturers should show I'd like to see unsmoothed data 0°-90°.

What did you use to overlay my measurement on the factory one? I'd like the ability to do that! :)

Tony.

Did it in Photoshop.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Unsmoothed 0 - 90 :eek: I would think that for almost all drivers that would be unintelligible ;)

Here is the above measurement RAW (ie no smoothing), but since this is taken outside and there are definitely interacting objects (like a wall about 3M behind the mic, trees, roof, garden etc it has to be taken with a large grain of salt as to what is the driver and what is the environment.

Tony.

Attachments

• SB4in_unsmoothed.png
    SB4in_unsmoothed.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_3409.jpg
    DSC_3409.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Here you go Markus. Post 27 and 32

10G40 MLTL, Transducer Labs N26Cx-A/ Pellegrene waveguide - Page 2

2-way with Beyma 10g40 and TL Labs N26C in a wave-guide. Measures pretty flat with no smoothing applied. Doesn't touch the MA7.3 in sound quality. My opinion is that the woofer is not a good match for the tweeter/wave-guide combo, as neither are bad performers on their own. Unfortunately, the graph doesn't tell you any of this and you would have to listen for the explanation to make since. Distortion is excellent throughout the range. Measurements are useful tool in speaker design and can help tremendously with the final outcome, but they really say nothing about how it will sound. The 7.3 is really the ark I am trying to hit with a multiway, adding bottom end and improving dispersion high up. Yet to do so. Next is C Quenze 18h with TL Labs Tweeter.

Wintermute,
Check out the new MCF offerings. Excellent extended response, with good distortion numbers that rival the satori except for the LF area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.