3 bass towers of 4 15" woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'll have so much headroom i'd go sealed. One driver on the front of the box, one on the back to cancel out driver motion, .28m^3 for each pair and eq as you like. One 500w amp per box or a 1KW amp for the lot depending on wiring. I'd go series-parallel for an 8ohm load.

Thanks for the advice. Since I'm learning I hope I don't post to many stupid questions.

I have some slight constraints to size now that I'm getting closer to finishing the HT space. The depth of the area behing the screen is around 45cm max. So I was thinking of the following dimensions for the box.

42cm*80cm*80cm. This gives me a volume of 269Liters per box. The drivers would then have to be mounted on the 42cm side. When you say dual opposed what exactly are we meaning? Will one driver be mounted normally with cone facing outside and the other mounted with cone facing inside the box? If so I kind of like this since there is an element of aesthetics involved. The drivers are massive aluminum and look impressive so if one of them is mounted the other way around it will look impressive and looks can make thing sound better :)

The drivers are 4ohm and my class D amplifiers are 4ohm as well. I would have 1 module of 300w per woofer.

When we are talking sealed vs ported what is the determining factor on what to choose? Will sealed have better sound vs ported? I've seen a lot of threads regarding TH enclosures and it seems to be very popular. Should I lean in that direction now that IB is out and I want lots of output?

Dual opposed means you mount drivers on opposite sides of the box <||> as it were. So you mount one on the left side and one on the right side. Be sure to brace the large panels of the boxes, they will be large radiators of sound if not. Ill leave sealed or vented to the people with modelling software.

see pic.

Attachments

• Dual Opposed Sub.jpg
    Dual Opposed Sub.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 143
42cm*80cm*80cm. This gives me a volume of 269Liters per box.

300w per woofer.

When we are talking sealed vs ported what is the determining factor on what to choose? Will sealed have better sound vs ported? I've seen a lot of threads regarding TH enclosures and it seems to be very popular. Should I lean in that direction now that IB is out and I want lots of output?

In the pic below I've modeled the four drivers in the box volume you posted above, one ported one sealed, both using 500w. The sealed box is using a PEQ set to Fc =25Hz Q=1 Gain=6db. For the sealed box this is max output (123db at XO). For the ported box you could use 1200w but you would only get 4db more output.

Sealed has the benefit of ease to change the sound, and better group delay and transient timing. Since you have so much potential output (+120db) I'd keep things simple. If you were trying to get as much as you could out of these drivers you could use a TH which while larger than BR is more efficient, and BR is more efficient than Sealed. But since you can get more than you need for movies sealed... enough said.

Attachments

• spl.JPG
    spl.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The magnets should not be touching the pole vent (the little hole on the back of the magnet) needs to breath. Bracing on the other hand is a tricky subject, I tend to go with long side bracing with side to side connecting braces, i'll attach a pic of an example (first and second pic). Some like shelf braces the last pic is an example from Speaker Building

edit: I labeled the number of braces wrong on some of the examples on the diagram with all the circles, it should have been number of open panel sections but I wrote it as the number of braces, oops.

Attachments

• dampatterns.jpg
    dampatterns.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 38
  • boxbrace.jpg
    boxbrace.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF4017.jpg
    DSCF4017.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF4019.jpg
    DSCF4019.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 107
  • bracing.jpg
    bracing.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
getting there

Hi all again,

Well boxes are now done and I'm getting closer to mounting them. I would need to complete the wiring before I proceed further. Could you please let me know how I should wire the dual woofers? Each one is rated at 4ohm and I will have a separate amp module for each woofer.

Will they both be wired identically?

Final dimensions are a bit smaller then originally envisioned especially since I reinforced the mdf at some places.

Internal dimensions are now. 69*38*78cm and thus 204 Liters. Then the cross bracing and woofers them self take away some additional volume. So one more question. Should I add some insulation stuffing to increase apparent volume?

Attachments

• subwoofer1.jpg
    subwoofer1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 33
  • subwoofer2.jpg
    subwoofer2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 41
  • subwoofer3.jpeg
    subwoofer3.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 39
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.