• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

I was finding the 47k and 4.8mA mod rather dry and the tone was inferior to 39K and 5.6mA. So I switched back and the tone came back to piano and voices. The situation is complicated by the fact that I used a different make of wire wound resistor. So I find it hard to say what's giving me the sweet spot I've been enjoying with the 39K version. Could be the make of resistor, the value of resistor or the 5.6mA current. Hmmmm.....

My revised circuit for my 26 stage, which drives my EL12n outputs making a 2 stage amp - my daily amp.

I bumped up the B+ to 364V, which allowed me to use a 39K anode resistor. Audible improvement - cleaner and generally better with tighter bass than the 27K I had in before. This is now really good to my ears. I used to think the 26 was warm, but this is just super clean and transparent. The ST version.

View attachment 1219626

I used a 26 to drive 300Bs. In my case I used hum pots instead of Rods boards. Best sounding amp yet.

I was finding the 47k and 4.8mA mod rather dry and the tone was inferior to 39K and 5.6mA. So I switched back and the tone came back to piano and voices. The situation is complicated by the fact that I used a different make of wire wound resistor. So I find it hard to say what's giving me the sweet spot I've been enjoying with the 39K version. Could be the make of resistor, the value of resistor or the 5.6mA current. Hmmmm.....
A good excuse to buy a selection of 39k & 43k parts, including parts without steel leads or end caps. The old Welwyn or Zenith capless wirewounds (Ayrton-Perry wound low inductance type) certainly worth looking at. Parallel Rs can be better, if you can find some 82k parts. Ohmite AG and Mills for new wirewound.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Rod. Yes - you've hit the nail on the head. The nice sounding resistors are old 39K Welwyn Panclimatic 021-6348 wirewound. Black cases.

I've bought some Tyco 43K wirewounds. Mouser have Ohmite. Farnell have the green Welwyns. I don't know if I should bother with Mills from Hi-fi Collective. The resistor needs to be at least 3W but more is probably better.

How can you tell Ayrton-Perry wound resistors?

Any other suggestions for a really good anode resistor?

The old Ayrton-perry designs had no end caps - and a terminated wire at each side. Like this:

1000001917.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I think present Mills are still being made with non steel leads.
In the past i remember buying non inductive wire wounds from the big brands using non steel leads as well.
In present time you will have to check the data sheet what is being used.
It seems like present day capacitors went downhill as well. Technically it should be possible to create better things but they are not looking for improvements.
Mills being made in Mexico ( i am sure they can make the same quality at a lower price)
Transformers being made in PRC ( why they dont say China) Costa Rica, Philippines just to cutting manufacturing costs)
Probably they will also use lower grade materials.
A typical transformer available at Mouser will give the indicated specs to your gear. THEY dont care if it will buzz, rattle , interfere with nearby gear.
Times are gone when you could get 3 Parmeko iron ( 500-0-500 250mA, 5Henry 250 mA and a very versatile heater transformer ) including a frame, some paper in oil caps, some tubes for 50 $
Greetings, Eduard

Mills might be made in Mexico but the prices are sky high in the UK. Mills 12W 39K £18.66. The 5w only go up to 27K

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/-c-61_62_179.html?page=2

Ohmite are more reasonable - 40K, 10W £2.23
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Ohmite/40F40KE?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtTURnxoZnJAHL%252BlzGtEX%252BMWK8gSiNhp6c%3D

Vishay 47K, 5W, £1.67. Steel end caps.
https://uk.farnell.com/vishay/cw00547k00je73/res-47k-5-5w-axial-ceramic/dp/1692553?st=wirewound resistor 47k

Then there are the usual green Welwyn wirewounds, and RX-21 from China.

If you want quality looks like you have to search laboriously through NOS wirewounds, and they're not easy to find in 39K plus. At least not in the UK.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The very best Welwyn W2x resistors (I like its, and use everywhere when large dissipation is needed) are "Copper clad steel wire, nickel plated and solder-coated, vitreous enamel", ... but not induction free (Ayrton-Perry) style.

It's durability is excellent, if you overheat its (sometimes I accidentally try its over 200C), after the cooling the resistance remains as expected.

Hello Rod. Yes - you've hit the nail on the head. The nice sounding resistors are old 39K Welwyn Panclimatic 021-6348 wirewound. Black cases.

I've bought some Tyco 43K wirewounds. Mouser have Ohmite. Farnell have the green Welwyns. I don't know if I should bother with Mills from Hi-fi Collective. The resistor needs to be at least 3W but more is probably better.

How can you tell Ayrton-Perry wound resistors?

Any other suggestions for a really good anode resistor?
From reading your post Andy you might want to give Powetrons a try, think Mundorf is also marketing it now. Played with many resistors when I was mucking around with upgrading my ML XO, Powetrons grainless very clear & transparent sounding, all that is needed is to add heat sink to the resistor

Yes - I'm now using anode resistors. If you use a really, really good quality resistor you can get excellent sound. It's worth choosing the resistor very carefully. As said, in needs to be at least 39K.

I do have some amorphous anode chokes but I haven't used them in a while, mainly because I'm happy with the resistors. Not to say that choke loading isn't good. I just can't remember what it sounded like now.