2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fine with me. That will save me a good deal of preparation and logistics. We'll leave the video stuff to the experts and I can focus on some other stuff I'd like to do. :)

I wasn't implying that you should take your ball and go home... :( I was only trying to point out some of the pitfalls of trying to stream an event similar to BA. As Variac pointed out, we've never even had that option before and I think that it would be useful for those who cannot attend. It might be good if someone who is not involved in the show (like yourself) does the video-ing so that you also have time to take part.

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Charlie, I'm not really sure how to respond since I thought we were saying more or less the same thing. I agree that a low-budget live broadcast might be risky and prove to be unsatisfying. That's a real possibility. And, Linear Systems already does a terrific job of recording the lectures for later viewing.

In any case, the tickets are already paid for. I'll be there, right on time, with my ball. :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The presentations are recorded every year and the vids are posted on youtube by Linear Integrated Systems. The quality has varied.

I think your warnings are appropriate , and will help us NOT make those mistakes..

Certainly no actual speaker demos, but showing the speakers is cool, and interviewing people also cool if the mic works. We should have a lot of stuff going on at once.

I have confidence in Michael. He tends to do things right..

Mark

Hi Charlie, I'm not really sure how to respond since I thought we were saying more or less the same thing. I agree that a low-budget live broadcast might be risky and prove to be unsatisfying. That's a real possibility. And, Linear Systems already does a terrific job of recording the lectures for later viewing.

In any case, the tickets are already paid for. I'll be there, right on time, with my ball. :)

OK, that's a relief. I had thought that you took offense to my comments. I totally agree with you. I probably should have mentioned that I HAVE seen a previous walk-around-video shot at Burning Amp and it was pretty good! Maybe that was the Linear Audio guy(s)?

Certainly no actual speaker demos, but showing the speakers is cool, and interviewing people also cool if the mic works. We should have a lot of stuff going on at once.

This got me thinking... I recall in past years walking around and seeing a lot of interesting DIY gear, but having no real clue what some of it was, what it might be notable for, who built it, etc.

Here is an idea to address this: we could encourage people to write up a description about their DIY project(s) that can be left with or displayed next to the project while it is out on display in case they are not there at the moment.

Taking this idea and running with it: projects write-ups could be compiled and posted to the BA web site prior to the show. Attendees could read through these in advance and decide which projects are of special interest so that they can make plans to chat with the designer/builder and see the project in person. This might prove useful for fostering interactions between DIYers that otherwise would only take place randomly.

I would be happy to organize this kind of thing if it seems worthwhile.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Taking this idea and running with it: projects write-ups could be compiled and posted to the BA web site prior to the show. Attendees could read through these in advance and decide which projects are of special interest so that they can make plans to chat with the designer/builder and see the project in person. This might prove useful for fostering interactions between DIYers that otherwise would only take place randomly.

I would be happy to organize this kind of thing if it seems worthwhile.

Hi Charlie,

I think this is a great idea.

Thanks,
Dennis

Mark,

Not sure I'll bring anything to show this year, my current speaker project is too unfinished and a bit unwieldy, but I'd be happy to volunteer in most any capacity. My folks live in Millbrae, so I have a free room just up the road and can easily be at the venue early and / or late.

Bill Mennuti

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Charlie, the Linear folks did some walkthroughs, which was a great idea , but the camera guy was inexperienced so too dynamic! a bit disorienting!

Michael will do great if he moves slowly, and the idea of people writing up info on their project, an excellent idea. I was toying with a "Poster Session" where each maker is standing next to his component at a certain time and will chat about it. Could be different times for different rooms, so they can go see other people 's stuff.

Great ideas. :)

Announcement up on my channel:

Burning Amp Announcement

Mike, great idea to make that promo video. I'm happy to hear that you will be doing some live streaming and key interviews -that's a great way to capture the feel of the show for those who can't attend, and for posterity. Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you then.

-Charlie

Alternatively, I could bring my setup to do a LIVE broadcast of the talks, but a wired very high-speed internet connection is an absolute requirement.

Michael,

I'm the Interana employee, for various reasons I've failed to make it to the last couple of burning amps, so I figured it was easier to bring it to me ;-)

We have symmetric gigabit at the present office, and assuming there are no limits imposed by the building I'm certain we will have the same again. We don't physically move in until next week, so I cannot confirm yet. I'll let you know if it is not as I've described.

Stuart

Mark & team:
Thanks a K^2 for getting BA going again! I have had to resort to heavy drinking to overcome the fact that we missed last year...:)

So with renewed energy: I will be there! How do I sign up to help? And further: I can give a little talk on hybrid tube/MOSFET designs if that is of interest. 45 minutes or so. Targeted at the DIY'er that wants to build something that he/she can have fun with without being a PhD in math or physics.

I can also bring a few designs we can listen to: A HAFLER 200 Hybrid. A B&H Hybrid. a HAFLER 500 300B Hybrid. And the latest crazy idea: a Hybrid Power DAC with Circlotron outputs. All ugly POCs built from broken amps sourced from eBay. :)

Denis

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vlfort

Ah, so that's why I've been drinking!

Ugly tube MOSFET designs. Doesn't get much better than that!
I have a tube preamp, the Impasse by SY paired with a First Watt F-4 by Papa Pass and that combo fulfills the dream of hybrid amplification, which often disappoints. So you and I know it can be done.

We're having "talks" which will be spaced through the day. And you're welcome. But they're limited to a half hour. Can you do that?

We'll have 2 or 3 45 min "presentations" but those are already booked I'm afraid.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You're the hero here Stuart!

As I've mentioned, I wanted to add some changes this year, and notihng like a new venue if you want a change. Thanks for telling me about this option and I'm sure it's going to be fun.

Michael,

I'm the Interana employee, for various reasons I've failed to make it to the last couple of burning amps, so I figured it was easier to bring it to me ;-)

Stuart

Where are those of you coming from out of town, and those like me who just don't feel like driving home that night, planning to stay? Don't feel that you have to identify the EXACT hotel or anything, but will you be staying near the event, or somewhere else?

Should there be some kind of after-social-hour socializing somewhere? Only get to do this once per year, so might as well make it count!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.