2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
@ Jan: Great! did he sign it? Ahh YOU made it.. Didn't know of this, maybe I need one! Also, looks like you may be coming around to visit us on your way to AES...

@linuxworks:
Yeah, that would have been a good feature, but like you, when I do stuff for myself I don't get around to adding features I've planned. I plug it in, and when it finally works, not much changes! Also I sometimes think of adding labels with instructions inside for people who stumble on my stuff in the future explaining how to connect it and how NOT to blow it up due to my build idiosycrasies and never do!

Last edited:
Mark,

For whatever reason, the e-mail notice about your post to "Angling for 90 Degrees" showed up but I couldn't find it in the thread. Another mystery. Regardless, I plan to be at BAF and will bring a TT and tonearm. I think there are several other guys from the Central Coast who will be there, too. We can probably get there early to help with set up.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Doug,

Ahhh Central Coast- been hearing about you guys from Roger Modjeski. He'll be speaking at the show about tube amps..

Yeah, we've missed the plethora of TT's you've brought in the past-better bring two. Remember, many people are going to be new, and we've skipped a year, so we'll want lots of stuff on display and to be used. Getting very good response from the loyal oldtimers and some new blood.. wouldn't hurt if you have a phono pre... so few preamps have that these days..

Glad you're going to make it- and well be a bit closer this year. The best thing about the new venue is that we can load some stuff in Fri night, have the rooms all ready to go in on Sat. morning, and clean up on Sunday. What a luxury. Since we don't have to shut down early either, we'll have a social hour starting at 8PM and running more than an hour......

See you there

Mark

Electronics Through Security

I took a test platform PC through security. It was on a plywood base with a plywood box over it and a nice metal handle. It turns out that hand crafted wood boxes are a nuclear powered red flag after the Uni-bomber. if they see wires in the x-ray the excitement level increases. You have to be able to open it for inspection, but I had it screwed shut with Robertson drive screws...

I once brought a circuit board (fully populated board, but no case) thru on an international flight and it did flip out the 'security' guys. it was not in an english speaking country and I didn't speak their language well, so it was fun trying to explain what a pc board is to someone who apparently never saw one before. delayed me an hour or more.

sad to say, if I have to bring something and it means a flight, I'll ship it instead of bringing it with me.

Electronic Security

Hmm, yes. Security has lots of armed authority over unarmed and cavity searched clientele. Stuff could get drop shipped here. The packages may spend a few hours on the front step in the second worst neighborhood in Mountain View, but my neighbors are Google, Microsoft and now, Facebook. The local color keeps it's head down, so I've never had a problem. Please send me a note if you'd like to work something out.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmmm...has anyone tried flying with a amp or preamp (or electronics of that nature)
as carry on luggage recently? Any trouble with security?

Dennis

I carried a full-fledged power amp through incoming security in SF. I had left the top plate unscrewed so they could see the inside (massive transformer, output devices, circuit boards, etc). "What is that, Sir?". "A stereo amplifier, you know, for your loudspeakers". "U-huh".

Then they proceeded to swab the insides for semtex and drugs, and not finding anything, waved me on. No prob.

This was 2005 or so, when paranoia still reigned.

Jan

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm seriously considering bringing the video equipment and making a mini-documentary this time. Any chance I could have a quiet little corner somewhere to do interviews?

Alternatively, I could bring my setup to do a LIVE broadcast of the talks, but a wired very high-speed internet connection is an absolute requirement.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
NOW you're talking Michael. We have ALWAYS wanted to do a live show. The place we're using is a software start-up with at least 50 workers, so they must have kick *** internet. The floor is big, but mostly open. We have about 4 large rooms and 4 med rooms, and an almost infinite supply of small rooms so you can have one of those.. Their philosophy is to have huge open areas with desks, no cubicles.. Then LOTS of meeting rooms with couches for umm, meeting.

There is one open area that they will use for presentations, with large monitors scattered around. We'll use the same, so I suspect we can get a live feed of the presentations easily. They aren't even all moved in yet, so we'll just have to discuss what they have when they're done setting up.

Cool if you could bring something but you are enough, You with your broadcast setup would be awesome!

Before you mentioned the netcast I was thinking:

something without a power supply and you could borrow that here.. I never saw the SIT amps- maybe the ones without inductors are transportable if w/o a power supply? They'ed be good for a small room, in a system, or on display. Also a comp music server would always be handy if you do that.. Lots of other possibilities, but the netcast would be more than enough..

Mark

Alternatively, I could bring my setup to do a LIVE broadcast of the talks, but a wired very high-speed internet connection is an absolute requirement.

Last edited:
I once brought a circuit board (fully populated board, but no case) thru on an international flight and it did flip out the 'security' guys. it was not in an english speaking country and I didn't speak their language well, so it was fun trying to explain what a pc board is to someone who apparently never saw one before. delayed me an hour or more.

sad to say, if I have to bring something and it means a flight, I'll ship it instead of bringing it with me.

haha this reminds me of why one of my bosses who was an Egyptian guy (US passport) always had a white side kick to carry stuff on flights to various global GSM conferences, expos,... and this was before 2001. I cant even imagine trying it myself today... shipping yes please.

Last edited:
Honestly, live streaming video of the show is a bit show-off-y but would likely appeal to those who can't attend. I have checked out live streams from DIY loudspeaker shows held in the midwest US (not naming names) and it was rather dull. You could not hear what people were saying (e.g. when they described their project) and then you had to sit through 20 minutes of a loudspeaker demo, with only the poor quality mic on the camera supplying low rez audio. I couldn't stand it for very long...

It would be more important, IMHO, to get good quality recordings (audio AND the presentation) of the major lectures so that these can be streamed by anyone who is interested at some later date. I believe this was done once or twice in the past... are we planning to do that this year?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.