2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yup EZ.. and we can stay late and have a party! We WILL need to plan with a few core people , and go in Friday and start putting up signs and re-arranging rooms. .

I can stage stuff like the blankets here in Mountain View, 20 minutes from the venue, and I have the hillbilly F250 for transport in. This will be way easier than the 954 stoplights up Van Ness with 4 on the floor. I'm also up for hosting a planning session here at the house.

Cheers,
Marshall

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, we need your speaker poeople to turn out!! Reach out!..

I could bring my DIY zaph L18's in active xover and my DIY dual-gang cs3318 preamp to control them. they are not large speakers but some might enjoy hearing the zaphs.

6558089649_af9bf0c311_z.jpg

6558090345_d5160990d7_z.jpg

so, if you need more speakers I can bring mine, but they are active-xo only; they need a XO and dual amps so they are not general purpose (ie, can't be driven as a passive XO spkr system). so, if I bring my spkrs, I'll have to bring most of my system, which I don't mind doing - if we have room for it. I don't have speaker stands, though, so some would be needed.

I do plan to bring my remote controlled preamp (relay atten with arduino graphic RF/xbee remote control) and that's pretty general purpose, so if a loaner preamp is needed (rca in and rca out, unbal only) I can loan that out during the day, as needed.

18622950416_89c04fc4e5_z.jpg

Linear Integrated Systems is happy to announce we will be a sponsor for the 2015 BAF. As Variac had indicated in his earlier email, LIS will be holding a design contest for circuits that include our jfets, and any other LIS products (transistors, small signal mosfets, switches, current regulating diode, low leakage diodes.......) We are still determining the criteria(s) and catagories. Any suggestions/inputs are welcome, since we have time and nothing has been finalized. Nelson Pass has agreed to assist in the judging. We will be looking for additional judges to assist Nelson.

Sincerely,

Paul Norton
Marketing Manager
Linear Integrated Systems

Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Welcome Paul, and Linear Integrated Systems. You've been loyal partners in this project from very early on and we appreciate it. I believe we'll have lots of room to display stuff. Personally, I'd be interested in seeing your line and examples and data sheets. Clever people can certainly find a product of yours to incorporate into their projects!

Plus those T-shirts of course!

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
nikon f, linuxworks and everyone else:

here are some over riding themes of this year's show:

1. We have more smallish rooms than anything, so systems with smaller speakers, or speakers that work well in smaller spaces will be more likely to get a room. Of course we need some big, impressive speakers too! Just be aware the competiton will be greater to have them play.

2. The majority of systems are going to be put together here online and will consist of components from various different people, as most people only have one DIY item to bring. The "loaner" offers are great, but in fact are the norm. We need lots of components to mix and match. OTOH, tightly integrated systems are fascinating too, so we're very interested in them too..

3. Say you have a DIY amp with a gold plated chassis and knobs made from precious stones, and transmitter tubes and a 15KV power supply, BUT it hums terribly in one channel, plus it recently arced over to your cat with unfortunate consequenses. Will people want to see it as a passive display- you bet! -We'll have lots and lots of room for components to be displayed. So bring cool stuff to look at , that will set the tone..

4. Haven't made anything yet? Then come look at what people have done and learn how they did it. You don't have to bring anything

Last edited:
AMB will need a room too..and tables inthe open area for display..
Depoends on the size room you'd need. Got smallish speakers?

OTOH if you bring those Line array monsters which I hope you'll do, we can get you a premium spot..
I am comtemplating what speakers to bring. The CBT36 line arrays are difficult because they are bulky and fragile, and require matching subwoofers, electronic crossover, and double the power amps. I'll think about it. Otherwise I could bring another pair of bookshelf-sized speakers with Dynaudio drivers (different than the ones I brought two years ago).

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those are clearly a nightmare to move! I didn't get a chance to hear them well last time, so I'd want you to have them available- and it's a way to a bigger room. And it's been 2 shows without them.. From a marketing point of view they magnetically attract people to your space!

Wow: matching subwoofers, electronic crossover, and double the power amps. those seem like pluses not negatives, except for the carrying. ;) We'll be setting up a lot of stuff the night before so that's an option, and/or there's Sunday to load them back up..

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm sure we'lll find a very good use for it!
I think it's best that people keep mentioning what they have right here and then I'll make up some systems and post them on another thread in about a month. Obviously some people have complete systems and are willing to bring them, but most have one or two components. Also clearly some components only work together.

If for example we have a lot more speakers, that's great. It really helps evaluate a system if you can hear it with different speakers!

Keep the info coming!!

Maerk

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.