200V Tube Amp Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've attached a screenshot of the circuit and the LTSpice file for it here.

Attachments

• 200V Tube Amp Supply.JPG
    200V Tube Amp Supply.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 200V Tube Amp Supply.asc
    2.4 KB · Views: 65
I can get a cap that big.
EDIT: Yes, this is my first.

Let me link you to the basic design of the amp.
It is based on a PCB from AliExpress. A 3-tube, 3x 12AU7 design.
I'm expecting the load to be 65mA.

Two of the tubes have a 51k resistor in front of each, so their plates will be at about 24V, and the third tube, I suppose, the output stage will get a full 200v

And on average the plate to cathode resistance is about 7000Ohm

AliExpress Ground Grid Tube Preamplifier
The version I'm getting has no parts, just the PCB.

Last edited:
12AU7 (1/7000 + 1/7000) +
12AU7 in series with 51k resistor: (1/(51000 + 1/(1/7000 + 1/7000))) +
other 12AU7 and 51K resistor: (1/(51000 + 1/(1/7000 + 1/7000)))
=
1/3500 + 1/54500 + 1/54500
=
~3101Ohm

So I'm using the inductor and a 500Ohm resistor as an effective voltage divider.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It seems noise free as a simulation, certainly by looking at the load current and/or voltage.

Is it practical though ? (I don't dabble with those hot glass bottles ;)) For example how big and bulky is the inductor ?

I would tend to approach a problem like this by setting out the design goals... such as what level of ripple/regulation/tolerance are you aiming for... and then try and design a circuit to meet those goals with the focus being on economy of scale and efficiency.

As to your circuit though, yes, for the (steady) load current you want to be able to draw, it is near perfect as clean voltage source.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 280
The inductor is about 2in x 2in x 3.25in
Transformer, 2.5in, 3.6in, 3in

I'm not happy about the transformer, because this design calls for 200V
This one gets me closest to that ballpark. I don't need the excessive milliamps it can supply.
I don't like having to use a 500Ohm power resistor to act as a divider.
I don't know how the input ripple translates to output noise. So I'm not surprised if I'm going overkill in trying to kill it.
I also don't know how any feedback from the tubes will affect the power supply, or if that will talk to the other tubes.

I'm thinking of just getting the parts and trying stuff out. Maybe blow something up. YOLO.

Last edited:
I don't understand the arithmetic in post 6.

I use a reservoir cap of 250uF to run a power amp, so 4700uF seems a bit excessive. Such a big cap may require a soft start circuit. It may also require safety interlocks as it will be storing a lot of energy.

On the other hand, 47uF may be a bit small. It will resonate at about 7Hz with the choke and so could cause subsonic problems.

PSU simulations can be misleading, as in real life grounding issues can override the near-perfect results obtained from huge caps in Spiceworld.

I don't understand the arithmetic in post 6.

I use a reservoir cap of 250uF to run a power amp, so 4700uF seems a bit excessive. Such a big cap may require a soft start circuit. It may also require safety interlocks as it will be storing a lot of energy.

On the other hand, 47uF may be a bit small. It will resonate at about 7Hz with the choke and so could cause subsonic problems.

PSU simulations can be misleading, as in real life grounding issues can override the near-perfect results obtained from huge caps in Spiceworld.

Be that as it may, isn't every LC filter resonant? Bigger cap, lower frequency. Is there a resonant frequency to target?

Where does the 7k resistor come from?

Ideally, PSU resonances (which usually cause an increase in PSU output impedance) need to come well below the audio band, well below the LF rolloff of the audio circuit, but also above the typical envelope frequencies of music (although this last criterion is less of a problem with a Class A circuit such as a preamp). What is the LF rolloff of the preamp?

To get an idea of what this is all about i tryed to reverse engineer from the photos of the preamp the schematic.
Must say, not too happy with what i found :(
The ground doesn't carry dc-current, makes the power supply easy (+and- 200V/8mA).
So, here it is :)
Mona

Attachments

• GG-ZZ.jpg
    GG-ZZ.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.